Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The MP3 looks damn cool!
the real litmus test is that jessica, previously uninterested in all motorcycles, suddenly suggested that she and i both get hybrid MP3s when they come out. sweet, it has teh royal blessing now...

:pirate2:

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
I don't need wheel drive. Not a 4-door (or even extended cab) "club cab" or whatever, just something small and simple, with enough torque to get 450lbs of dirt bikes/gear out to the trails. Why can't anyone build something like that? Is it just not cool enough?
Unfortunately small is out in the states, 2 seat vehicles are a tough sell and a 450lb tow rating is very nearly useless to most folks who need a truck. A 2wd CRV, Rav4 or maybe an element would probably do the job with a trailer, but they're all bigger than the VW and you'd have to store a trailer.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
A 2wd CRV, Rav4 or maybe an element would probably do the job with a trailer
No. The CRV/Rav4 camp gets about 24mpg. That is inexcusably horrible, and especially for being so tiny. Add a small double rail trailer, and I'll bet it'll be lucky to get 18mpg. My 3l 6 cylinder 2wd Ranger gets 20-21mpg, and gets bumped down to 18-19 with 2 motos in the back... And no trailer, and it goes up hills decently. But that's all still horrible consumption.

Unfortunately small is out in the states, 2 seat vehicles are a tough sell
Around here, the small bench seat, manual trans, 4 cyl 2wd Toyotas of the early 90's are very, very expensive and hard to get. Everyone wants/needs one. The only 'Yotas under $2k have over 200k-250k miles and are beat to hell. Average selling price is around $4k... and these vehicles are 18 years old.

We need small diesel pickups. I can only hope they arrive soon. Otherwise, I might just have to get me a Jetta TDI and a small trailer. Chick car, here I come.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Someone just showed me this... 1989 Civic CRX HF, 50mpg:

I miss the Nissan minivan my friend had in Spain. 6 speed, turbo diesel, sat 9 people (we usually did 6 people and 6 DH bikes on road trips), and averaged 55-60mpg on my rough estimates. That thing was fast, and handled good too.

***Found it on the Nissan.es site. The Primastar gets 33.6 HWY mpg... I could have sworn that it was a turbo diesel, but I might be wrong. It could even be the wrong van, since his was a 2003 model or something like that. Anyhow, it was amazing how such a low-powered (90 claimed horsies) engine had so much torque, and how much stuff and people it fit inside. Comparing that to Econoline diesel vans that struggle to get 20mpg, and don't handle worth a damn, it seems like we really have our heads up our arses when it comes to practical vehicles.***

Webpage for Primastar:
http://dynamic.nissan.es/home/vehicles/carbuilder/lcv/X83F/engines.html

My pal's van:

I want a pickup truck version of that van, or even something like that.

Last edited:

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
No. The CRV/Rav4 camp gets about 24mpg. That is inexcusably horrible, and especially for being so tiny. Add a small double rail trailer, and I'll bet it'll be lucky to get 18mpg. My 3l 6 cylinder 2wd Ranger gets 20-21mpg, and gets bumped down to 18-19 with 2 motos in the back... And no trailer, and it goes up hills decently. But that's all still horrible consumption.

Around here, the small bench seat, manual trans, 4 cyl 2wd Toyotas of the early 90's are very, very expensive and hard to get. Everyone wants/needs one. The only 'Yotas under $2k have over 200k-250k miles and are beat to hell. Average selling price is around $4k... and these vehicles are 18 years old.

We need small diesel pickups. I can only hope they arrive soon. Otherwise, I might just have to get me a Jetta TDI and a small trailer. Chick car, here I come.
Well, to be fair the CRV is huge, damn near the size of a Jeep Cherokee if I remember right. Still, low 20's for what amounts to a tall wagon is pretty poor.
The reason striped out toyotas are hard to get is that no one bought them in the first place, everyone went for the extended cab 4x4. The reason they're worth so damn much is because they're [angelic choir]toyota trucks[/angelic choir]. I've had two or three notes left on mine asking if I'd be willing to sell it. I don't get it, but everybody seems to want one.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Atkinson cycle 2.5-liter 4-cylinder gasoline engine with variable intake cam timing making 155 HP and 136 lb-ft of torque. NiMH battery of unknown capacity. Electric A/C. CVT mated to an electric motor of unknown capacity. LCD dashboard! seat fabric made from 100% post-industrial recycled waste.

the gag is that this one will be able to go up to 47 mph on electric juice alone. and mileage? "Ford is as-yet mum on the subject, but is committed to class-leading performance and promises at least 5 MPG better than the Camry hybrid."

about that dashboard:

SmartGauge with EcoGuide features two, high-resolution, full-color liquid crystal display (LCD) screens on either side of the analog speedometer that can be configured to show different levels of information, including fuel and battery power levels, average and instant miles-per-gallon.
EcoGuide uses a multi-layered approach to coach the driver to maximum fuel efficiency. A tutorial mode built into the display that helps the driver learn about the instrument cluster and the hybrid in a whimsical way that does not overpower. Technical enthusiasts will love the detailed gauges that will help them learn to become more efficient in their driving. Everyday drivers will love another new feature in this same gauge cluster. Called “Efficiency Leaves,” the system “grows” leaves and vines on-screen to reward customers for efficient driving.

Drivers can choose one of four data screens to choose the information level displayed during their drives. They are:
Inform: Fuel level and battery charge status
Enlighten: Adds electric vehicle mode indicator and tachometer
Engage: Adds engine output power and battery output power
Empower: Adds power to wheels, engine pull-up threshold and accessory power consumption

All levels can show instant fuel economy, fuel economy history, odometer, engine coolant temperature, what gear the car is in and trip data (trip fuel economy, time-elapsed fuel economy and miles to empty). The engine coolant temperature indicator turns green when engine conditions are warm enough to allow engine pull-down.
price and release date TBD.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
33.1mpg average on the display :rofl:

I would not have used that picture to pimp a car they hope to have "class leading performance" unless you are going up against the Chevy Tahoe hybrid.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
to be fair 33 mpg is roughly on par with the published figures for the camry hybrid.

jimmydean, you might be particularly interested in this: http://news.prnewswire.com/ViewContent.aspx?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/11-19-2008/0004929143&EDATE=

"[Oregon], under Gov. Kulongoski's leadership, and Nissan are working with PGE towards the creation of the EV charging network. PGE, as part of its plug- in vehicle initiative, is striving to find innovative solutions to Oregon's transportation and energy challenges through the development of a model charging station infrastructure, as well as identifying its infrastructure needs related to vehicle-to-grid technology. Over the past several months, PGE has installed six charging stations- with the capability to charge several dozen vehicles - across the Portland and Salem areas, with more on the way."

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
to be fair 33 mpg is roughly on par with the published figures for the camry hybrid.

jimmydean, you might be particularly interested in this: http://news.prnewswire.com/ViewContent.aspx?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/11-19-2008/0004929143&EDATE=

"[Oregon], under Gov. Kulongoski's leadership, and Nissan are working with PGE towards the creation of the EV charging network. PGE, as part of its plug- in vehicle initiative, is striving to find innovative solutions to Oregon's transportation and energy challenges through the development of a model charging station infrastructure, as well as identifying its infrastructure needs related to vehicle-to-grid technology. Over the past several months, PGE has installed six charging stations- with the capability to charge several dozen vehicles - across the Portland and Salem areas, with more on the way."
There are EV parking only charging stations at the World Trade Center downtown as well as FlexCar only parking.

It would certainly be cool to add a lot more.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mini-e applications up.

http://www.miniusa.com/#/learn/minimalism/MINIE-m

ny/nj/LA/orange county only. 12 month lease, $850/month (yikes), return the car in precisely 1 year, must have a garage, mini will pay to have the wallbox/charger installed. hmph. i personally wouldn't drop $850/month, and i'm as much of an EV fanboi as you're likely to find.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Project Better Place continues to march on:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11032113?source=rss

A Palo Alto start-up with powerful backing on Thursday unveiled an ambitious $1 billion plan to help make the Bay Area the nation's electric-car capital.

Endorsed by all three of the Bay Area's big city mayors, the plan would provide the re-charging infrastructure that must be in place before most consumers would consider buying or leasing an electric car.

Better Place, headed by former high-tech executive Shai Agassi, plans to install about 250,000 charging ports, 200 battery-exchange stations and a control center to service Bay Area electric car drivers. The goal is to have most of the system in place by 2012.
renault-nissan will provide the vehicles. here's a prototype electric Nissan Rogue

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
You must be really bad at math...
Thanks buddy, I appreciate that. Now have a great day. :plthumbsdown:

***Found it on the Nissan.es site. The Primastar gets 33.6 HWY mpg... I could have sworn that it was a turbo diesel, but I might be wrong. It could even be the wrong van, since his was a 2003 model or something like that. Anyhow, it was amazing how such a low-powered (90 claimed horsies) engine had so much torque, and how much stuff and people it fit inside. Comparing that to Econoline diesel vans that struggle to get 20mpg, and don't handle worth a damn, it seems like we really have our heads up our arses when it comes to practical vehicles.***

Webpage for Primastar:
http://dynamic.nissan.es/home/vehicles/carbuilder/lcv/X83F/engines.html

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
No demand. You and 5 friends aren't enough of a demand for Toyota or any other company to build a truck for a market that small.

I was about half way into a diesel 2wd Chevy C10 project before it got way to expensive because that is what I was looking for. A truck to haul my family and our dirt toys on at least 25mpg.

I bought my 4x4 '89 Toyota 22RE for $2200 and I am getting 22mpg in it. I use it as a truck and not as a daily driver, so that works for me.

I have seen diesel Toyota's for sale on Craigs List, same body style you are talking about (84-88).
I wonder how small the market is. I also wonder if it might grow soon. I would trade in my current Toyota Tacoma, immediately if Toyota started selling the euro spec 2.4l diesel here in the US. This summer in Germany I drove a 2wd version of this with the old style bed rails (the ones that give you a solid place to hook the ends of tie down ratchets) and I was in love. I think it even had bucket seats in the short cab version. Too bad the American market/government cant wrap their head around the idea that diesels with particle filters are not dirty.

Every year I check, but aside from the Toyota Taco there is no real 4x4 pickup with a 4 banger on the market anymore. Who really needs 200 hp on american highways? Give me a deep deep geared tranny and 4 banger and i will drive happily in the right lane. I would love roll down windows, manual seats & no AC. bring back regulator vents! What happened to sheet metal beds? Sure they rusted eventually, but plastic isnt really the proper material for a pickup bed. Anecdote: I slid a well used shovel into the bed of my Taco and the blade was so sharp it stuck into the bed like a feaking lawn dart!

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Electric Truck Exclusively Options Regenerative Magnetic Shock Absorber Technology from Tufts

At the SAE Government/Industry Meeting in Washington in 2001, Goldner, Zerigian and J.R. Hull from Argonne presented a paper estimating that the percentage of recoverable power/energy for a 2,500 lb vehicle that employs four optimized design regenerative magnetic shock absorbers and whose average speed is 20 meters/s (45 mph) on a typical US highway is likely to be between 20% and 70%.

The shock absorber uses an electromagnetic linear generator to convert variable frequency, repetitive intermittent linear displacement motion to useful electrical power. The Goldner device uses superposition of radial components of the magnetic flux density from a plurality of adjacent magnets to produce a maximum average radial magnetic flux density within a coil winding array.

[...]

In their patent filing, the inventors claim that the regenerative electromagnetic shock absorber system is capable of peak power generating capacity of between about 2 to 17 kW, average power generating capacity ranging from about 1 to 6 kW, and power contribution efficiencies ranging from 8-44% for passenger vehicles traveling at relatively moderate speeds on typical roads encountered under normal urban driving conditions.

For rough roads with bump slopes as high as 0.10 and displacement velocities greater than 1.0 m/s, they claim that the system may generate nearly 50 kW of peak power and nearly 16 kW of average power with a power contribution efficiency approaching 70%.
a brilliant idea if it actually works. my knowledge of these things is scant enough that i can't tell if it is flux capacitor-style gibberish or something that is reasonable and feasible.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Electric Truck Exclusively Options Regenerative Magnetic Shock Absorber Technology from Tufts

a brilliant idea if it actually works. my knowledge of these things is scant enough that i can't tell if it is flux capacitor-style gibberish or something that is reasonable and feasible.
The physics of the power generation is sound (It's similar to how they get power out of ocean waves), though I imagine it might be a little difficult to get a shock that performs well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ah, a local (Olympia, WA) kook in my own vein:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/390001_plugincars29.html

[...] Since forming Plug In Olympia in May 2007, Lambrix has persuaded about 10 businesses, four state agencies, Intercity Transit and the city of Lacey to install electric plug-in stations in their parking lots.

Some of the state agency sites are for state employees only, but most of the stations are open to anyone who needs an energy boost for their electric vehicles.

But the Lambrixes' passion for electric sockets in parking lots runs deeper than personal convenience. It's the family's way of promoting increased ownership and use of electric vehicles, which, in turn, reduces the nation's dependence on foreign oil and curbs greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles.

[...]

About one-third of the electricity used at their Rodgers Street home on Olympia's west side comes from an array of 18 solar panels they installed on their roof in December 2006, and they have a solar-powered hot water heater. They plan to add six solar panels to the system before the year's end.

The solar array allows the family to make a claim that few can: They produce the electric power that runs their vehicles.

They bought their first all-electric vehicle in April 2007 -- a three-wheeled, shiny blue Zap Zebra that Lambrix uses to commute to work and run errands around town. The vehicle's range is about 25 miles per charge.

The family added a Miles in June. It's a four-passenger sedan with a 35- to 45-mile range and top speed of about 35 mph.

"We can climb all the hills in town, no problem," Kathy Lambrix said.

Family investments in solar energy and electric cars total $70,000. The solar power system is designed to pay for itself in 12 to 15 years, but ever-increasing electric utility rates will lower that payback period, Lambrix said.

The family has about 8,000 miles on their two vehicles at a fuel cost of about a penny per mile, or a total of about $80.

The same mileage in a car averaging 25 miles per gallon of gasoline priced at $3.50 per gallon would have cost the family $1,120.
that said, someone shoot me if i ever buy and support a product as subpar as the Miles EV, let alone the horrid Zap Xebra. here's a Miles review for your (dis)pleasure:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2007-miles-zx40s/

$14999. 28 mph. ~50 mile range. no thanks!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that's a crap article.

1) it ignores that the Tesla Roadster is designed to be a flagship, and isn't the end of their (proposed) model range. they propose a $60k sedan, the Model S né Whitestar. they are already providing powertrains for other manufacturers, whose models may well be cheaper if they aren't based of Lotus chassis.

2) the assumption that a plug-in hybrid a la the Chevy Volt would be both cheaper to produce and develop is beyond asinine. Volt cost overruns are driving GM into the ground, let alone a small maker like Tesla. (one could argue that Aptera seems to have figured it out, but that's because Aptera dodged the rules effectively by not building a car: their Typ-1 lineup are motorcycles in the eyes of the law.)

3) the loan that Tesla is applying for is designed to help manufacturers revamp their model lineups to be efficient. say what you will about the price but Tesla's model is nothing but efficient of energy. furthermore, they're actually producing it, unlike the Big 2.8's endless stream of electric and hybrid show cars that never come to fruition.

4) finally, investing in a manufacturing plant in San Jose, CA would bring money and jobs to the area, with the profits going to all-american entrepreneurs. how again is this bad?

:banghead:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
that's a crap article.

1) it ignores that the Tesla Roadster is designed to be a flagship, and isn't the end of their (proposed) model range. they propose a $60k sedan, the Model S né Whitestar. they are already providing powertrains for other manufacturers, whose models may well be cheaper if they aren't based of Lotus chassis.

2) the assumption that a plug-in hybrid a la the Chevy Volt would be both cheaper to produce and develop is beyond asinine. Volt cost overruns are driving GM into the ground, let alone a small maker like Tesla. (one could argue that Aptera seems to have figured it out, but that's because Aptera dodged the rules effectively by not building a car: their Typ-1 lineup are motorcycles in the eyes of the law.)

3) the loan that Tesla is applying for is designed to help manufacturers revamp their model lineups to be efficient. say what you will about the price but Tesla's model is nothing but efficient of energy. furthermore, they're actually producing it, unlike the Big 2.8's endless stream of electric and hybrid show cars that never come to fruition.

4) finally, investing in a manufacturing plant in San Jose, CA would bring money and jobs to the area, with the profits going to all-american entrepreneurs. how again is this bad?

:banghead:
whoa! Don't go workin' up a sweat over there... I was merely pointing out that they seem a bit short of cash at the moment. I have a hard time believing that the Fed is going to pony up any cash for them.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
whoa! Don't go workin' up a sweat over there... I was merely pointing out that they seem a bit short of cash at the moment. I have a hard time believing that the Fed is going to pony up any cash for them.
but my point is that the loan program, although no doubt tailored for the Big 2.8 by their lobbyists, should be applicable to them on paper.

In September, just days after the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the three companies' chief executives traveled to Washington to ask for $7.5 billion that would be used to fund $25 billion in loan guarantees that had been promised in a 2007 energy bill. The loans were to be used to retool to produce the more energy-efficient cars the market was demanding. With little debate, the $7.5 billion was approved as part of a continuing resolution in October.
other fun facts: they just raised $40 million more in financing. their powertrain business is profitable currently, and the list of companies using their powertrain hasn't been confirmed yet but is believed to include BMW for the mini-E.

i don't think they're quite on their deathbed -- they're selling Roadsters (with a waiting list still miles long!), they're selling powertrains and expertise, and they have financing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
something good might come out of a big 3 bailout, no matter how distasteful and wrong that may be:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081202/ap_on_bi_ge/autos_congress

The company said it will accelerate plans to roll out electric vehicles as part of its plan.

"We are going to do that across our product line," Mulally said in the interview.

The first plug-in vehicle will be a Transit Connect small van for commercial use in 2010 and a car the size of the Ford Focus compact the following year.

Ford also said it will accelerate plans for hybrid gas-electric vehicles.

Mulally said he will encourage automakers and parts suppliers to join forces to develop new battery technologies in the U.S. for future electric cars so the country doesn't rely on foreign batteries.

"We don't want to trade oil for batteries," he said.

Ford's plan calls for an investment of up to $14 billion to improve fuel efficiency over the next seven years. The company said would improve the overall efficiency of its fleet by an average of 14 percent in 2009.
an electric Transit Connect would be kind of fun in a Element/xB/box on wheels kind of way:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'd be OK with Tesla getting gov't funds provided they are subjected to the same criteria as the big 3. Just because they're trying (only 50 cars produced and a demonstrated inability to meet demand doesn't = success.....) to make EV cars doesn't qualify them for free money imo.

Product specifics aside, they are just another business that underestimated the difficulty of bringing a product to market. They are a struggling start-up company; no more, no less.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my parents have a 2004 Prius so i've logged quite a few miles in it. i average between 44-46 mpg typically and rarely if ever dip below that figure. my personal best mpg over a non-negligible distance is 56 mpg in town.

with this in mind i had the chance to drive a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid for about 45 miles tonight via Zipcar (who provided me with a $25 credit, making the $7/hr rental to see the girl up north a no-brainer).

my Civic Hybrid impressions:
- for those who are attuned to hybrids and such the Civic Hybrid is easy to tell apart from the standard Civic
- mileage is not as good as the Prius. around town i got 23 mpg (!), and with 80% highway miles after that i ended up averaging 42.9 overall. this is with a light foot, remember!
- sightlines are not as good as the Prius, especially in the A pillar and over the driver's shoulder in the B pillar when head checking.
- ergonomics are good
- steering feel is superior to that of the Prius, and body motions are well damped

overall i didn't mind it but still prefer the Prius for its mileage, uncontested advantage in interior room and storage space, and outwards visibility. that they're the same price on the market makes it a no-brainer.

incidentally the production version of the Honda Insight was revealed today. it'll use the same IMA system as in the Civic Hybrid i drove tonight but should eke out slightly better mileage via improved aerodynamics and a (lengthened, widened) Fit-based platform. it's reputed to start at $18,000, undercutting the Prius by $4k. it will be interesting to see how this battle plays out.

Last edited:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Awesome on the Hondas! I drive a 2003 (I think... It's the 1st generation body) Prius a lot. Great car! According to the on-board computer, I'll get 42 MPG avg when I drive with a lead foot. Unfortunately, the electric steering motor is going bad, and it'll need to get replaced in a few thousand miles.

I'm wondering what kind of mileage a Prius would get while towing a single-rail motorcycle trailer... Seems like a TDI would be better suited for towing.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I finally pulled the trigger on the Corolla S for the wife. I got a killer deal on a 2003 with 62k miles and 48k warranty. A friend of ours says she averages 38mpg in hers despite fueleconomy.gov figures of 31mpg average.

If my wife can average 35mpg, I'll be stoked. It's much more sporty than the Fit and it was about $8k less while still getting the same mileage.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
good call on the corolla. jessica has a 2001 Corolla 5-spd and she averages 36-37 mpg in combined driving, with 40 and even 45 mpg seen over full tanks when there's lots of highway involved. the lowest she's seen is 32 in the city.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
good call on the corolla. jessica has a 2001 Corolla 5-spd and she averages 36-37 mpg in combined driving, with 40 and even 45 mpg seen over full tanks when there's lots of highway involved. the lowest she's seen is 32 in the city.
Last week was the last straw. She got a whopping 22mpg last tank in the Malibu, I was pissed. She only drives about 100 miles a week to and from school, but to fill up as much as she does is ridiculous. If we end up with the new house, it will cut to about 80 miles a week (or even less).

Not only is the Corolla S funner to drive, but twice the mileage will be nice. She picks it up on Saturday.