Quantcast

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
yeah. toyota's almost last too damn long. My mechanic buddy acquired an 82 camry that had over 300,000 miles on the stock engine. i drove it around a bit just to check it out. That thing still ran great. Amazing little engines.
I had a 1980 Tercel that rusted all to $hit... luckily I found an '81 from Hawaii that had a crapped motor but a straight rust-free body... did the swap... continued to drive the '81 for years after. That damn little car got me all sorts of crazy places. :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Piaggio MP3 Hybrid. formerly just a concept, now announced as a (European) production model!

Cliffs Notes:

- 3-wheeled, tilting scooter with a 125cc gasoline engine + electric assist for performance roughly comparable to a 250cc scooter such as mine but with much better mileage and lower CO2 emissions
- 141 mpg and 40 grams CO2/km with assumptions of 35% EV use, 65% hybrid mode use, and negligible electricity cost
- first production application of a plug-in hybrid with lithium-ion batteries
- can operate in several modes including EV only, parallel hybrid, and gasoline only with electric assist when additional torque is required

Photos and videos:

(sources: http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http://www.scooter-system.fr/news/953-piaggio-mp3-hybrid.html&sl=auto&tl=en&history_state0= , plus the youtube video above as well as a press release posted by Piaggio Official on their facebook page)

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Daimler seem quite happy with how their fleet of electric smart cars have gone in london. :)
http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,637269,00.html#ref=nlint

I do like the sound of the bigger sprinter vans going electric. :thumb:

Electric cars don't have to be compacts. Daimler also displayed a hybrid version of its Sprinter commercial vehicle, which in this case was fitted out as a minibus with seven rear seats. The hybrid Sprinter can run solely on battery power, which could be important in coming years as some European cities impose strict emissions limits on center-city traffic.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My sister bought a Smart car last month and is pissed. It gets worse mileage than the Yaris they bought their oldest daughter for college. Not to mention it's a sail in high winds and has a ton of road noise.

I told them they should have worked a two-for deal on the Yaris.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Smart cars are pretty stupid. There are many cheaper, more efficient, more useful, safer vehicles out there. The only advantage I see is with parking.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Smart cars are pretty stupid. There are many cheaper, more efficient, more useful, safer vehicles out there. The only advantage I see is with parking.
And the name. I think the ONLY reason she bought it to begin with was to say she drives a Smart car.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
they are overpriced vehicles. in places like Europe where parking is tougher than here in the states, smaller cars makes sense.
its not that the Smart cars are unsafe, they all have passed the U.S. safety standards, its just a novelty car IMO.

i saw one the other day that had a key on the back like a toy to wind it up. it actually moved while they were driving.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
they are overpriced vehicles. in places like Europe where parking is tougher than here in the states, smaller cars makes sense.
its not that the Smart cars are unsafe, they all have passed the U.S. safety standards, its just a novelty car IMO.

i saw one the other day that had a key on the back like a toy to wind it up. it actually moved while they were driving.
I consider them unsafe because they probably have the same visibility on the road as a motorcycle. People will pull out in front of you, change into your lanes etc.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
clooney on an MP3, eh? cool, even if he's not all geared up.

speaking of MP3s, i want to trade up to an MP3 Hybrid, but i fear that it will never see US shores: it seems geared to european markets for several reasons. first is that the 125 cc displacement skirts euro laws that require a (difficult to get) full motorcycle license for vehicles over 125 cc. second is the presence of congestion charging in large cities such as london, with EVs and efficient hybrids being exempt from the charge, of course.

i'll use the topic of "things that may never see the light of day" as a segue to our daily Aptera segment. Aptera has missed many a deadline, keeping with the general theme in green/vaporware companies. however, they have released a new newsletter, at least, even if it's not linked from the front page of their website:

Aptera July 27, 2009 newsletter: http://www.aptera.com/newsletter072709/

supposedly production intent interior on right:

the newsletter is largely fluff but it does have a few interesting bits:

1) the interior has been revamped, increased in size by ~10% with 24 more cubic feet of interior volume.
2) the aptera's aerodynamics are such that only 23 hp are necessary to hit 100 mph, and 150 hp to hit 200 mph… compare that to my scooter, which struggles to reach its top speed of 77 mph with 22 hp even though it only weighs 450 lbs.
3) jay leno wrote about the aptera in a recent column in an UK newspaper: Aptera: oodles of cool in the Google car. Electric car Aptera has solved the biggest problem all eco-cars face - how to look chic while saving the planet.
4) production is slated for "later this year". (at least one can buy a t-shirt with their logo on it in the meantime… :rolleyes: https://shop.aptera.com/aptera/index.htm )

while Aptera continues to promise much and deliver little so far, Nissan has taken the opposite track, promising little (and delivering the same). until now, that is:

2010 Nissan Leaf EV. http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/01/2010-nissan-leaf-electric-car-in-person-in-depth-and-u-s-b/

While there will probably be a few discreet changes to the Leaf (non-showcar paint, slightly different interior fabrics, etc.), this isn't a concept vehicle – Nissan assured us that you are looking at the Real McCoy, the vehicle headed for select American, Japanese, and European showrooms next year.

…

As has been done with other automakers' alternative energy pilot programs in the past, the Leaf will probably be distributed to fleets and very select customers at first – a more widespread commercial push isn't expected until 2012.
yeah, you heard that right: a production EV from nissan?! i didn't expect this… and it might even be available to joe sixpack or me by the time i finish my residency program in 2013.

specifications:

- 80 kW (108 hp) electric motor with 280 Nm (208 ft-lbs) of torque
- top speed of over 140 kph (87 mph), range of over 160 km (100 mph)
- full charge from 200V (yeah, 200, not 220?) single phase AC in under 8 hrs
- a fancy $45k DC fast-charger that cities might install in central locations can get the battery to 80% state of charge in 30 minutes
- 24 kWh, 200 kg (440 lbs) of lithium ion batteries, $10k replacement cost at the moment

just like the Aptera it has much in the way of computer/smartphone integration, which will prove to be crucial for balancing loads on the power grid and for maximizing range:

Every example will be equipped with an integrated computer system that is connected to a GPS system and global data center, allowing the Leaf to display its "reachable area" on its sat-nav screen, as well as the location of nearby charging stations. That same advanced IT system can also communicate with the owner's smart phone, sending them emails to let them know their vehicle's state of charge, allow users to pre-cool or pre-warm the Leaf while it's charging (thus drawing power from the grid and not depleting the onboard batteries), and the system can even be programmed to charge in the middle-of-the-night to take advantage of lower energy costs.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
2010 Nissan Leaf EV. http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/01/2010-nissan-leaf-electric-car-in-person-in-depth-and-u-s-b/

yeah, you heard that right: a production EV from nissan?! i didn't expect this… and it might even be available to joe sixpack or me by the time i finish my residency program in 2012.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/06/nissan-to-begin-retail-sales-of-leaf-ev-next-year-in-five-major/

turns out that it'll be available in small but non-negligible numbers well before 2012*!

* if you live in the following cities: seattle, san diego, phoenix/tucson, or in unspecified cities in oregon or tennessee

Nissan is wasting little time planning for the release of its Leaf electric car. Perhaps the details of the car's U.S. launch were so slim at launch is because Nissan was waiting for the official announcement of the Obama administration's $2.4 billion investment into electric vehicles and the infrastructure needed to support them, $99.8 million of which has been awarded to eTec, a division of ECOtality that specializes in electric vehicle charging systems.

That sum of money (to be matched by "regional project participants") will allow eTec to install 2,500 EV charging stations in the states of Tennessee and Oregon, along with San Diego, CA; Seattle, WA; and the Phoenix/Tucson region in Arizona. Of course, chargers aren't any good without any vehicles to use them, so Nissan has pledged to support the project with up to 1,000 new Leaf EVs in each of these selected markets.

This announcement puts retail sales of the upcoming Leaf two years ahead of the previously planned schedule. Nissan hopes to gather information on the charging patterns of these initial 5,000 Leaf owners, so buyers will need to agree to carry an on-board data logger that will be monitored by the automaker and the U.S. Department of Energy

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I am recently carless, and take this thing when pedaling is too slow or the trip is too far. I'll probably pick up some sort of beater car again when it is wintertime but having no car is kinda cool for now.

it is going to be supermoto'd as soon as it is financially possible. I may go the cast sv650 wheel route for cheapness, and keep the stock wheels for dirt tires. I'd love to get spoked 17's but that is pretty spendy.

Last edited:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
So I "bought" a car yesterday (translation: traded some baked goods and bike parts) on a whim. 6 months without one...definitely a weird experience driving to work this morning.

It's not horribly environmentally offensive...just an appliance (99 Mazda Protege).

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
So I "bought" a car yesterday (translation: traded some baked goods and bike parts) on a whim. 6 months without one...definitely a weird experience driving to work this morning.

It's not horribly environmentally offensive...just an appliance (99 Mazda Protege).
Thats nice. But does it have cup holders? Whats its carbon footprint? Do you own actual appliances or do you just call the old machinery in the abandoned building appliances? Does it have cloth interior? No cloth interior, no environmentally friendly? Will we ever find out what happened to MJ. Tune in next week.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
boston makes some small steps towards bike-friendliness:

NYTimes: Boston Tries to Shed Longtime Reputation as Cyclists’ Minefield

photo: Jodi Hilton for The New York Times
MAKING INROADS The new bike lane on Commonwealth Avenue.

BOSTON — In a city known for its aggressive drivers, flummoxing street layout, confusing rotaries and overall rudeness on the road, what is a cyclist to do?

Start pedaling, some say.

Boston, long known as a minefield for bicycle riders, is feverishly working to shed that reputation by creating bike lanes, installing bike racks, restoring bike paths and urging residents to switch from horsepower to pedal power. Plans to link the city’s existing bike paths and create a bike-share program are also in the works. One already exists for city employees.

“The grand plan is to change the culture, which is an incredible task,” said Nicole Freedman, a former Olympic cyclist who was hired as the city’s “bike czar” in 2007.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Unless they're making Corollas a LOT $hittier than they used to you should have at least 100K more miles before that thing goes kaput...
our '01 corolla needs a new engine at 121k miles. it's making nasty bottom end knocking sounds at idle and on acceleration that have been getting progressively worse over the last few days, and we brought it in to the dealer today, who pronounced that it would need its engine replaced.

whoops.

so we have $4900 + tax from the dealer, or $1000-1500 for a used engine from a scrap yard + labor if we go 3rd party. or we scrap the car, with its TMV of $3415 private party (assuming a working engine!).

what to do, what to do?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Why can't you just get an engine rebuild of the one you have??

Heh heh for someone who goes on about eco friendly stuff, you sure do like the throwaway society ;)
we're going to get another quote. getting a used scrapyard engine will involve dealing with an out of state scrapyard, having it shipped to a local shop, then having the local shop do the work. all of these steps have the potential for price gouging, misrepresentation, and abuse.

i'm personally in favor of selling the corolla as-is to a local scrapyard (as we can still drive it there at this point) and stepping up to something new(er?) with sane fuel economy and much lower emissions.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
come on Toshi, you are behind the ball here!

GM claims 230mpg for the Volt in the city:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/11/gm-ceo-henderson-announces-the-volt-will-get-230-mpg-in-the/

The biggest bombshell is Henderson's announcement that the "230" marketing campaign floating around for the past week is related to the Volt. The EPA has released a new methodology for determining a draft fuel economy standard for extended-range EVs like the Volt, and under this new procedure, the Volt will have a composite urban fuel economy rating of 230 mpg! On the electric side, the Volt will consume 25 kW/hours per 100 miles. That makes the Volt the first car ever to get a triple digit fuel economy rating.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
I saw those painted lanes while in town the other day, and my first thought was, "how slippery are those painted lanes when wet?" was that a good idea??...this was triggered from my experience training/riding in a paceline (yeah I do road too), where the cardinal rule is stay off the paint when it's wet...

Oh, also this is another article worth looking at (from a different perspective)

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Painted lanes are no problem.

On my way to work there was Volt 230 logo painted on some sidewalks in what looked like some gorilla marketing initiative.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm personally in favor of selling the corolla as-is to a local scrapyard (as we can still drive it there at this point) and stepping up to something new(er?) with sane fuel economy and much lower emissions.
after looking over the offerings out there we might actually end up with something other than a prius, namely a kia soul. they are quite cheap, the dealer is nearby, the reviews are decent, and the warranty is excellent. fuel economy for the 2.0L version is nothing to write home about at 24/30, but 30 mpg is really the point of diminishing returns in the economic sense.

http://www.kiasoul.com/

starts under $14k. $15k buys you one with bluetooth, keyless entry, a reasonably nice stereo, a 5-speed manual and a 2 liter 4 banger, and a 10/100 powertrain warranty.