Quantcast

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Front end of an aston martin and the rear of a ford mondeo????
old parts bin too close and to tired to start an external design from scratch??
it looks like a Mondeo because it is the new Mondeo. we just finally get the new version before Yurp does. its keeping with Ford "global platforms" and similar design language.
the Aston front end actually works kinda well with this IMO

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Prius C
in the latest addition to the Prius family, C is for City.

What you're looking at is a new, smaller hybrid from Toyota, which is eagerly growing the Prius range from one four-door to include the Prius V (for Versatility), the Prius plug-in hybrid and this, the Prius C. It's both smaller and more affordable than the existing Prius range, while delivering superlative fuel economy figures. In fact, with a 50-mpg combined rating, the Prius C claims the best economy of any car this side of a plug-in EV.

Motivation is provided by a 1.5-liter four that, together with the electric motor, delivers up to 99 horsepower at peak (compared to the Prius liftback's 134hp). It's also more nimble than its bigger brother, and more affordable: when the Prius C reaches showrooms in the spring, it will wear a sticker price under $19,000

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
IBM, always way ahead of the curve:

"theoretical energy densities more than 1000 times greater than the Li-ion type...Instead of using metal oxides in the positive electrode, lithium-air cells use carbon, which is lighter and reacts with oxygen from the air around it to produce an electrical current."

"Li-air batteries are one-fifth the size and they offer a lifespan at least five times as long."

"Li-air batteries are attractive for any application where weight is a primary concern, such as in mobile devices."
Air battery to let electric cars outlast gas guzzlers - tech - 06 January 2012 - New Scientist

Last edited:

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Imagine if the tables were turned (electric cars were the norm) how hard of a sell gasoline powered cars would be.

"Here's this new motor that has multiple complex mechanical systems that will require frequent maintenance, it suffers from excessive noise and vibration and slow acceleration, will require you to carry around a huge tank of toxic, explosive liquid, needs an enormous and complex infurstructure of drilling, refining, transportation, and storage, and oh yea, it will spew noxious smoke!"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A Bay Area Experiment in Electric Bike Sharing

…

Soon San Franciscans will have a new option for navigating the local terrain without breaking a sweat or resorting to a car, thanks to a pioneering federally financed electric bike share program that will start up this year.

Rather than zigging and zagging to avoid steep inclines, e-bike users will be able to pedal up and over with help from an electric motor. For those hauling cargo, electric bicycle trailers will be available for hourly rentals, too.

The Federal Highway Administration’s Value Pricing Pilot Program awarded $1.5 million for the initiative through the San Francisco Metropolitan Transportation Agency, the project’s fiscal sponsor. Ultimately the money will go to the local nonprofit City CarShare, which plans to integrate the e-bikes and trailers with its existing car sharing service, and to the Transportation Sustainability Research Center at University of California, Berkeley, which is responsible for assessing the impact and lessons learned from the project.

In essence, the goal is to find out how many car-share trips will be replaced with electric bicycle trips, and what factors influence the switch. City CarShare will receive $760,000 of the grant money, covering some 40 percent of the costs over three years for 90 e-bikes at about 25 locations.

The organization plans to roll out 45 bikes in the second half of this year and 45 more by the end of 2013, mostly in San Francisco but in Berkeley as well.

…

City CarShare plans to set the hourly e-bike rate 50 to 70 percent below the rate for cars. Today, members paying a $10 monthly service fee can rent cars for as little as $5 per hour. According to Mr. Hutchinson, pricing will be “at the higher end the longer you keep it, and at the lower end for overnight. It should not be a huge financial burden to keep if it’s getting dark.”

Unlike the regional bike share program, which will allow members to pick up a bicycle at one site and return it at another, the City CarShare program will require round trips.
The dream of the 90s is still alive in… the Bay Area?! :D

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
not a bad price
The base level Prius C One's MSRP is indeed $18,950, but that doesn't include a $760 destination charge, and you can easily spend north of $23,000 for the top-of-the-line Prius C Four. Still, that's a raging deal for a car estimated to get a fuel economy rating of 53/46/50 miles per gallon (city/highway/combined) from the EPA. As Toyota is quick to point out, those numbers make the C the, "highest rated city fuel economy of any vehicle without a plug."
Grade

2012MY MSRP

Prius c One
$18,950

Prius c Two
$19,900

Prius c Three
$21,635

Prius c Four
$23,230

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/02/08/toyota-prices-2012-prius-c-under-19k/

Last edited:

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Close

•The entry-level 2012 Toyota Prius C starts at $19,710 — $5,050 cheaper than the standard 2012 Toyota Prius.
•Even the top-of-the-line Prius C, which starts at $23,990, slots in underneath the standard 2012 Toyota Prius in terms of price.
•The Prius C goes on sale in March.
http://www.insideline.com/toyota/prius-c/2012/2012-toyota-prius-c-pricing-announced.html

A bit dissapointed by the mileage tho. My wife's Mini gets 50mpg on the highway (and that is with a bike rack).

I also read somewhere that they are only bringing 10,000 to the states. That number would get sold out before they even get on the boat.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Imagine if the tables were turned (electric cars were the norm) how hard of a sell gasoline powered cars would be.

"Here's this new motor that has multiple complex mechanical systems that will require frequent maintenance, it suffers from excessive noise and vibration and slow acceleration, will require you to carry around a huge tank of toxic, explosive liquid, needs an enormous and complex infurstructure of drilling, refining, transportation, and storage, and oh yea, it will spew noxious smoke!"

"where do i sign?"

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
lolz: Tesla Model X

Also the same as the Model S will be its pancake-flat, under-floor battery packs in two sizes (60 and 85 kW-hrs). The small, 40 kW-hr size will only be available in the S. Given the bigger size and weight of the Model X, range will likely be at least 10 percent less than what is expected from the Model S, somewhere between about 214 to 267 miles depending on the battery. Recharge times are unchanged at about four hours for the big battery.
Extending the Model X’s extruded structure between the front and rear cast aluminum subframes has allowed the wheelbase to grow by about four inches over the Model S. Combined with the low, flat battery and the small-size and low-positioning of the electric motors (a second, front motor with about half the rear’s estimated 300 horsepower will be optional), there’s room galore. There’s a generous rear cargo hold even with the third-row seat erected, plus a decent front trunk as well. The Model X’s air suspension will allow it to vary its ride height by about an inch. Musk estimated the Model X will weigh between 10-15 percent more than the Model S at about 4700 lbs.
Tesla says power can be transferred instantly between the front and rear motors (lateral distribution being via individual brake application). There’s also greater regen braking available. Musk claims the Model X will move from 0-to-60 in as little as 4.4 seconds to 60 mph (from presumably a sport edition). Pricing is expected to about the same as the Model S, which starts at $49,900 after the Federal tax credit. Production of the Model X is expected to start late next year with volume delivery happening in 2014.

Read more: http://rumors.automobilemag.com/tesla-model-x-prototype-crossover-revealed-with-falcon-door-fixation-109219.html#ixzz1lx5xyR1f
http://rumors.automobilemag.com/tesla-model-x-prototype-crossover-revealed-with-falcon-door-fixation-109219.html

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I guess those doors open automatically, because kids are not going to be able to reach up there.

Wonder if the gull wings are more than, "that looks cool." I see the doors and tailgate being ruined by opening them in a low ceiling garage since they extend quite a bit above the roof!

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Long discussions with Ian Wright over the weekend. Secret squirrel... but... Holy Flaming Balls of Awesome... wait to see what he's working on in a wee while. Socks and minds will be blown.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1073508_obama-ill-buy-a-chevy-volt-after-my-presidency-ends

[W]hen his presidency ends, Mr. Obama knows exactly what car he wants to buy as his post-presidential ride -- a plug-in Chevrolet Volt.

“Five years from now when I’m not president anymore, I’ll buy one and drive it myself,” Obama promised 1,600 auto workers at a United Auto Workers union event in Detroit on Tuesday.

“Yes, that’s right,” he reiterated, accompanied by deafening applause.

[...]

If Obama sticks to his word, his Volt will be the first Chevy he’s owned. According to The Detroit News, Previous Obama cars have included a Ford Escape Hybrid, Chrysler 300 and Jeep Grand Cherokee.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3251821093688&l=f1c78dfc02

I'll admit its a small sample - only 85 miles. At the end of the 150 trip (NYC-MA. 180 total but I filled up on the way) my average was 47.2.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3251810693428&l=d4ca2094d2

The mileage dropped because the speed limit was 55 for the first half and 65 for the second half reinforcing my belief that for every mph over 60 your mileage will drop 1mpg. A couple years ago I did an all highway test for a whole tank and my average was 44mpg but that was at 65mph with a passenger and luggage. This is why I think the national speed limit should be 60mph and all vehicles should be governed to not go any faster.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
reinforcing my belief that for every mph over 60 your mileage will drop 1mpg.
Maybe in your mini but I don't think that applies to every vehicle.

My 7400# diesel 4x4 gets 21mpg @ 60 and 18.5 @ 75mph.
I've owned it since new (five years now), 20-25k mi/yr and log mileage for every tank (business write off) so I'm confident my numbers are correct, for my vehicle and my lead foot.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Maybe in your mini but I don't think that applies to every vehicle.

My 7400# diesel 4x4 gets 21mpg @ 60 and 18.5 @ 75mph.
I've owned it since new (five years now), 20-25k mi/yr and log mileage for every tank (business write off) so I'm confident my numbers are correct, for my vehicle and my lead foot.
How do ducks affect the mileage?

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I've also done the test in my '05 CRV (several times), a '06 Mazda 6, and several rental cars. They all come up about 1mpg per mph. I've also seen articles that state the same thing. But yea, I'm sure its not the same with every vehicle. And obviously it must flatten out or nobody would be able to go 100mph. But there is no doubt that most (all?) cars get their best mileage at around 60mph.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I've also done the test in my '05 CRV (several times), a '06 Mazda 6, and several rental cars. They all come up about 1mpg per mph. I've also seen articles that state the same thing. But yea, I'm sure its not the same with every vehicle. And obviously it must flatten out or nobody would be able to go 100mph. But there is no doubt that most (all?) cars get their best mileage at around 60mph.
So at about 90mph would your economy be 0mpg?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Most cars should get their best mileage at the lowest speed at which they shift into top gear and lockup (for automatics). Cruising along in top gear, lugging the engine* at 35 mph or so, would probably be close to optimal in that limited sense.

* Want to know why? Take a look at the BSFC curves sometime.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Well, I haven't noticed any difference between 55 and 60 in 6th gear. But between 60 and 65 it follows the 1mpg/mph. I can't explain it. I figured engines would be like biking. At a certain rpm I feel like I can spin all day but going faster or even slower is harder.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the 2012 Ford Focus Electric, which the EPA has certified gets 105 miles per gallon equivalent, combined. This is better than what the Blue Oval was estimating publicly in December, when it said the all-electric Focus should get 100 MPGe. The Focus EV is also rated for 110 MPGe in the city and 99 MPGe on the highway......

To compare with some other combined MPGe ratings for plug-in vehicles on the market or coming soon: the 2012 Chevrolet Volt gets 94 MPGe (one better than the 2011 model), the Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid gets 95 MPGe, the Nissan Leaf gets 99 MPGe, the Mitsubishi i is rated at 112 MPGe, and the current champion, the Tesla Roadster 2.0, officially gets 119 MPGe.

The EPA also says the Focus EV will have a range of 76 miles. As Ford is quick to point out, again, that's three miles more than the Leaf. Given the variances of EV ranges based on driving style and outside influences, those three miles won't make all that much real-world difference to most people, but it does give the engineering team one more thing to brag about.

For all the comparisons that Ford makes in today's announcement, it does leave one thing out: the Leaf's one big numerical advantage. The 2012 Leaf starts at just $35,200, while the Focus EV starts at $39,200.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/02/ford-focus-electric-officially-rated-at-105-mpge-with-a-76-mile/

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Gah.......76 mile range. I would LOVE for an electric car to come out with a 100ish mile range....get me to work and back on a single charge.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Gah.......76 mile range. I would LOVE for an electric car to come out with a 100ish mile range....get me to work and back on a single charge.
yeah, the 100 mile mark seems to be elusive for most electric cars

more lulz
General Motors has told 1,300 employees at the automaker's Detroit Hamtramck plant they will be temporarily laid off for five weeks as the company halts production of the Chevrolet Volt and its European counterpart, the Opel Ampera.
"Even with sales up in February over January, we are still seeking to align our production with demand," said GM spokesman Chris Lee to the Detroit Free Press. Another way of phrasing that? Because sales still suck.

Lee said employees were told Thursday that production would put on hold from March 19 to April 23.

Chevrolet sold 1,023 Volts in the U.S. in February and has sold 1,626 so far this year.
http://jalopnik.com/5890072/gm-halts-chevy-volt-production-because-sales-suck

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Your commute is awfully long. Mine is between 6 and 9 miles each direction, depending on whether I stick to surface streets or take the parkway, and the vast majority (iirc) of drivers travel less than 40 miles per day in total.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Your commute is awfully long. Mine is between 6 and 9 miles each direction, depending on whether I stick to surface streets or take the parkway, and the vast majority (iirc) of drivers travel less than 40 miles per day in total.
As much as I hate to acknowledge agreeing with Toshi on this, I would definitely get an electric for my normal commuting at this point. The one caveot being that the charging station at my home be synced with my overall electrical usage, so that I don't hit peak time usage. There aren't a lot of good smart systems that don't require a whole set of new appliances though.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
47 miles to work, 49 miles home (two different routes to avoid traffic)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Brothers commute from Roslindale to Northboro MA is 40 miles but takes 2.5 hours. His 8 hour day takes 13 hours to execute. Phug that....

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
My Brothers commute from Roslindale to Northboro MA is 40 miles but takes 2.5 hours. His 8 hour day takes 13 hours to execute. Phug that....
Commute from Hubbardston -> Bedford (current house)..........47 or 49 miles.....:55 to 1:15 depending on traffic

Commute from North Andover -> Bedford (previous apt).......21 or 23 miles.......:35 to 1:15 depending on traffic