Quantcast

The annual lets try to meet in Morzine and fail thread

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So as every year we are going to Morzine. Any monkeys will be there? We are there since June 27th for 2 weeks.

juanpkumicho

Chimp
Oct 13, 2011
I am thinking of driving up there (from Spain) this summer, august, but I am not sure whether to go to the Les2Alpes area or Morzine area. Do you guys have any advice? One week each wouldn't be enough would it? It will be my first time on the Alps and I want to ride epic stuff. I am not looking for any features/gnarlyness in particular, just ride 2 weeks of epicness, flow, of course some technical stuff, jumps, but mainly enjoy the whole experience of riding the Alps and enjoy a unique vacation.
I am also going with my GF who likes to hike while a ride (and hopefully some day ride along), so the decision will also be based on what she will enjoy most.

Cheers!
JP

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Juan
go to Morzine area. you will love it.
very good DH trails. a lot of hidden trails (you'l have to find them... try looking in youtube for them)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I am thinking of driving up there (from Spain) this summer, august, but I am not sure whether to go to the Les2Alpes area or Morzine area. Do you guys have any advice? One week each wouldn't be enough would it? It will be my first time on the Alps and I want to ride epic stuff. I am not looking for any features/gnarlyness in particular, just ride 2 weeks of epicness, flow, of course some technical stuff, jumps, but mainly enjoy the whole experience of riding the Alps and enjoy a unique vacation.
I am also going with my GF who likes to hike while a ride (and hopefully some day ride along), so the decision will also be based on what she will enjoy most.

Cheers!
JP

L2A is better for the views but has only bermy tracks.

Morzine means a better variety of tracks. More tracks. I prefer it.

@Saruti - we are leaving the same day you will come to Morzine :/

juanpkumicho

Chimp
Oct 13, 2011
OK so Morzine sounds like a better option. What about Chatel? 1 week each? How close are they?

Thanks for the inputs.

JP

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
OK so Morzine sounds like a better option. What about Chatel? 1 week each? How close are they?

Thanks for the inputs.

JP
They are connected by lifts so you don't really have to move unless that extra hour it takes to get from one to another is a problem for you

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
@norbar, maybe next year :)
@juan, as norbar said, they are close to one another. ant the way to get between them is also fun trails.
so just stay in Morzine
if you are looking for a place to stay, I can recommend chalet eira. we are staying there every summer for the last 6 years. its a great place.

juanpkumicho

Chimp
Oct 13, 2011
Sorry to bother again but, just to be sure about what I just read:
I just stay in the Morzine area, and if I want to ride the Chatel bike park I just take a lift near my hotel and then a trail all the way to the other area and I am there free to ride?

This sounds like my vacation has just been planned!!!!!

JP

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
yes
the pass is for 24 lifts. all over the area.
also for Morgins and LesGets and Champéry and more .......

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
2 guys from here are riding 2014 Jedi
I'll check if they are going to be in Morzine this year.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Just a quick heads up. The weather sucks this year. The new supermorzine trail is pretty nice but unless it's 100% dry you will have to pedal your ass off to land 3/4 of the jumps there.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
sorry to hear that... and no one of my friends who rid a jedy are there this year
I hope the weather will get better soon.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Just a quick heads up. The weather sucks this year. The new supermorzine trail is pretty nice but unless it's 100% dry you will have to pedal your ass off to land 3/4 of the jumps there.
C'mon, you've been there for 3 days, only... Cheer up :) Next 10 days gonna be good... ;)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The weather looks good for tomorrow. Morgins was greasy but super fun once you got over being completely soaked. How long are you around for? Are you going to ride the Swiss side at all this year?

Yesterday was pretty good in Chatel. Check out the stuff on the Mountain Style course while you're here. nico Vink has been building some crazy stuff up there. They are going to do the event again this year in mid July.

http://instagram.com/p/p6zEMCns9J/?modal=true
Brendan, Nico and Vinny T tried out the shark fin for the first time yesterday.
image.jpg

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The weather looks good for tomorrow. Morgins was greasy but super fun once you got over being completely soaked. How long are you around for? Are you going to ride the Swiss side at all this year?

Yesterday was pretty good in Chatel. Check out the stuff on the Mountain Style course while you're here. nico Vink has been building some crazy stuff up there. They are going to do the event again this year in mid July.

http://instagram.com/p/p6zEMCns9J/?modal=true
Brendan, Nico and Vinny T tried out the shark fin for the first time yesterday.
We're here til 12th. We are thinking of trying the new trails in Les Gets tommorow and hit Morgins over the weekend. It's still fun, we just wanted to reach the landing on something ;) Chatel was mighty fun when we found out the green trail was more fun than the rest due to the fact that there was mud above the rim there.

We've seen the digger on the Mountain Style. The track looks amazing.

btw. Ben clear your RM inbox, can't reach you.

Last edited:

juanpkumicho

Chimp
Oct 13, 2011
OK so I have been looking at where to stay this august and Chatel seems cheaper (haven't looked deeeeply into it, but it seems like it). Is it fine if I stay the whole 2 weeks in Chatel? I mean, if I can still ride the whole area from there, it shouldn't be a problem, should it? I would also prefer no to be changing apartments or hotels.

JP

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
It's OK to stay in Chatel, but do remember, that Chatel village is not Chatel Bike Park. You have to catch a bus of ride your bike to get there. Right, Ben?
Moreover, further you go from Morzine, sooner lifts are closed. So, if you stay in Morzine, you can ride the most :)

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
just stay in Morzine man.
its in the middle. you can go to ride anywhere. and come back at evening.
I'm staying in Chalet Eira again this year (7th time)
good price and a great Hotel.
if you need help PM me.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
just stay in Morzine man.
its in the middle. you can go to ride anywhere. and come back at evening.
I'm staying in Chalet Eira again this year (7th time)
good price and a great Hotel.
if you need help PM me.
It depends on what you want tbh. Chatel is closer to Morgins and that nice les crosetes trail that gets really fun once it's wet. If I wanted to ride primarly in Chatel and Morgins I'd chose Chatel.

On the other hand Mt. Chery this year is mint. The regular black track has some nice jumps. Fairly easy but they flow well and don't punish your mistakes too much.

The airline next to it is hard but we rode some of the features (the smaller ones) today and it's worth the try if you are good on jumps and drops with hard run ins.

UncleHowie

Chimp
Feb 9, 2011
Switzerland
It's OK to stay in Chatel, but do remember, that Chatel village is not Chatel Bike Park. You have to catch a bus of ride your bike to get there. Right, Ben?
I just arrived in chatel, you have to drive to the lifts from the village so if you don't have a car you need to take the bus!

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
There's a trail that you can ride from one of the Chatel lifts into the park in the morning, but that's all I can say right now ;)

Actually, that is all I can say as I don't actually know it myself.

Norbar, ever heard of Peau Du Vache on Mt. Chery?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
There's a trail that you can ride from one of the Chatel lifts into the park in the morning, but that's all I can say right now ;)

I tend to get languages quick but French is all gibberish for me so I don't remember the names too much. I think I will PM you to know more.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland

Hands down best track in PDS