Quantcast

The Anomoly

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
I ride a fine line between XC and DH when it comes to appearance. I also read countless debates on this forum about DHr's and XCr's. What seems to be the real debate is Shuttling vs. pedaling.

I've been in the biking world (and when I worked in a shop, the 'industry') since I got my first mtn bike in 1988. I was of the camp that the lightest stuff will make me a better rider... and then things change. Going from light weight to realiable and durable seems to be my main theme in mtn biking today. I live in Golden, CO, and have access to several trails without mounting my bike on top of my car and driving there (I really do hate riding on the road). So, I push a 43 lb XC mountain bike up the hills around the town of golden (that would include Apex, Chimney Gultch, N and S Table mtns). 43 lb bike? Its a bullit with a 7 inch travel fork on the front. 7 and 7 I say, its comfy for my aging body. I enjoy getting a good workout, and I really like the cushy feel of being able to descend at a confortable pace with supreme comfort. Besides, pushing a big travel bike like that to the top will get you in shape faster than the uber-light bike.... I guess.

I've learned a few things recently in doing this 'all mountain' type riding. One, I look like a DH with the bigger fork. I"ve been put in a category instantly when I stop to let others pass while heading up. I've been asked "are you shuttling"? One thing I don't do in the front range, is wear a full face helmet and pads. If I look the part of a 'regular' cyclist, I won't get categorized. I SHOULD not ever descend with too much speed to warrant the DH gear... NOT IN THE FRONT RANGE!
My bike climbs better than most bikes, partially because the 2.7 inch tires inflated to all of 15 lbs usually stick better than most. Complement that with 7 inches of travel, and I can stick with out dabs most waterbars, technical sections, rock steps, etc. ha, only if my lungs are ready for it. I try not to widen the trail, but rather go directly through the middle of the hard parts. Going around is for the true XC camp that is of the same mentallity that likes to diss on DHr's for tearing of the trail. I've seen just as much damage done with a XC bike as a DH bike.... DH bikes get better traction, therefore they don't skid as much.

I've only met a few other riders that are doing the same thing as I. Pedaling what looks like a DH rig up hill. I enjoy the workout with 43 lbs, and a s a result, I'm getting stronger by the day. Am I an anomoly on the trial? Does anyone else subscribe to this type of biking?

Just as an FYI, Jefferson County IS taking a hard look at DH'ing in their parks. In recent years, shuttlers are ripping down the mountain with a free ride to the top. Whereas there is no law or rule governing against that activity, it HAS generated more complaints than ever before. I've fallen victim to some DH shuttlers that knocked me off the trail. not fun. The trails are being watched more than ever before now. So do all of us monkeys a favor, don't abuse the system, and please, slow down a tad, and not wear the pads and DH gear so much.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
agreed.

shuttling, looking like you're dh-ing and/or pinning it on mullti-use, public trails is for the selfish and lazy...ESPECIALLY if it's "early in the morning when no one is around" or "on a trail that is seldom used."

go to the lifts.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
My only bike is similar to yours, 7 and 7, not quite as heavy, but has the appearance of a freeride/dh rig. Where I live there is hardly any controversy or prejudice in regards as to what you are riding on the trails, or what you are wearing in terms of gear. On some rides I wear forearm pads [for bouncing off trees!] and occasionally shin/knee guards.
I've noticed lately, from reaction from other RM members, what the perception of DH-looking riders is like in the jefferson county area, and it's a sad thing. A few are ruining it for the many. I don't ride in Jeffco, I ride in my own little world, and it works for me, and it works for others who share the trails I ride on.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think JeffCo rangers should just ticket anyone in DH armor on a multi-use trail.

No, wait, think about it. If someone's in armor, they're planning on pushing their skill level. That's cool, but if said rider thinks they might crash -- and need said armor -- then they're intending on being irresponsible and reckless... considering the fact that the trail will have all sorts of users.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
LordOpie said:
I think JeffCo rangers should just ticket anyone in DH armor on a multi-use trail.

No, wait, think about it. If someone's in armor, they're planning on pushing their skill level. That's cool, but if said rider thinks they might crash -- and need said armor -- then they're intending on being irresponsible and reckless... considering the fact that the trail will have all sorts of users.
Jefferson county is in the USA, is it not? So are we to discriminate this way? Why don't we just give tickets to whoever lord opie doesn't like? I wear forearm armor for protection againts trees and the occasional oops; does that make me reckless? Anyone out riding is pushing their skill limits whether they are climbing or descending, and may crash regardless of whether they are wearing protective gear or not. It doesn't mean they are planning on being irresponsible!
Opie, so I DON'T ASSUME, just what are your issues with downhill riders? Now that you've hijacked yet another thread to further your mission, just go ahead and get it out in the open for everyone to read, so we all know where you stand on the issue, and then perhaps in the future some of us can have a conversation without you jumping in and getting all charged up about the subject. Better yet, start your own thread, so this one can continue on it's course. I am not trying to personally attack you here. Please speak your mind so we can move on.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
LordOpie said:

This is, in my opinion, a ridiculous statement, and has no place here thank you very much. No, wait, I've thought about it, and JeffCo Rangers should NOT be giving ANYONE tickets, and I find it reprehenisble that you would suggest such a thing. As I get into this, please note that I DO NOT CONDONE, GIVE PERMISSION, APPRECIATE, OR IN ANY OTHER FORM EVEN LIKE THE FACT THAT CERTAIN DHers HAVE BEEN RIDING WAAAAY TOO FAST AND IRRESPONSIBLY ON PUBLIC, MULTI-USE, MULTI-DIRECTIONAL TRAILS. The practice of bombing down Apex "early in the morning" to get time on your DH bike is dangerous and stuff. Wait for the damn lifets to open, for crying out loud. If your that worried about getting DH saddle time, move to SoCal or something... jeesh.

1.) We as mtn bikers are constantly fighting for land access. The very minute we start condoning and encouraging "the man" to single out any one "type" of rider (based on appearence and not actions) and doling out fines and penalties, we have done ourselves a great disservice as a community. I agree that irresponsible BEHAVIOR should not be tolerated, but simply looking at someone and prejudging or determining their so-called "intent" based on what they are wearing is as ridiculous and idea to me as separate drinking fountains for different races of peoples.

2.) INTENT is so very hard to judge/prove/determine simply by looking at someone's choice of clothing. I would contend that not everyone wearing armor is "planning on pushing their limits" or planning on crashing or even "intending on being irresponsible and reckless". I, of course, am reading a little bit into your statement by inferring from your words that you feel anyone wearing armor has GOT to be a knuckle-dragging, adreline-charged DHer intent on destroying the good name of all that is mtn biking. I would say this is not the case, and in fact with the increasing popularity and acceptance of wearing armor I would say that many people wearing armor are normal Joe Mtn Bikers like you or me. For instance you are correct in saying that the "trail will have all sorts of users" and that would include beginner riders, young and old, that may be wearing armor to protect themselves while they learn. If my 60-year-old father wants to learn how to ride a mountain bike, and feels that some shin, knee, or elbow protection would benefit his experience I don't think he should be penalized, ostracized or singled out for doing so. I concede that by simply learning how to mtn bike, he would be "pushing his limits", but one could hardly say he was planning on crashing, or "intending to be irresponsible and reckless." He's LEARNING. He is just one example, there are others. Renegade, for example, rides in armor frfom time to time, both up the hill and down, and from what I can tell is an EXTREMELY responsible rider. Hardly what anyone could call "reckless and irresponsible".

3.) The fact is, if certain Front Range DH-oriented riders would not have been abusing the public, multi-use trail system in JeffCo then discussions like these would not even need to take place. What needs to happen, and frankly HAS been happening, is that the mtn bike community will, and should, police itself. Like we're doing in this forum, right now. Trust me that those people that are/were DHing certain JeffCo trails have been pressed upon to stop it, cease and desist, knock it off, etc. I haven't heard of anyone doing this stuff for several weeks now, and with the advent of lift-service upon us (Yeah!! Vail opens this weekend! As does Snowmass! And Keystone the weekend after that!) this "problem" should cease to be an issue.

Thank you all for your time, I now allow you to return to your regularly schedule soapboxes.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Renegade said:
Opie, so I DON'T ASSUME, just what are your issues with downhill riders?
Hear hear! I've met you in "meatspace" as they call it, face to face like, and I've always held the opinion that you are a fine, upstanding young dude. I STILL think that, but I also feel that some of your rants indicate that you do have issues with these "downhillers" and such. Please note that I am certainly not attacking you personally, but am very curious to know the source of many of your comments, etc.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Ascentrek said:
Am I an anomoly on the trial? Does anyone else subscribe to this type of biking?
And before I forget, thanks for this post Ascentrek! In fact, I am pretty gosh-darn certain that you folks that "subscribe to this type of biking" are the FASTEST GROWING USER-GROUP IN CYCLING at the current time. Not really XC, DH, Freeride, or really anything... just people that love riding bikes and want the rest of the damn world to drink a nice warm cup of shut the fvck up and pedal.

I for one, raise a post-ride PBR and a chicken wing in your honor!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Renegade said:
blah blah blah
If you don't like what I have to say, ignore me.
Renegade said:
Better yet, start your own thread...
Ascentrek didn't exactly have one specific point in his post. Read his last paragraph, so I didn't jack his thread.

I'm thinking that I hit a nerve with you. I bet you run little old ladies off the trail :devil:

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
LordOpie said:
If you don't like what I have to say, ignore me.

Ascentrek didn't exactly have one specific point in his post. Read his last paragraph, so I didn't jack his thread.

I'm thinking that I hit a nerve with you. I bet you run little old ladies off the trail :devil:
Thank you lord opie for the informative and intelligent response. I will try to ignore you like I would ignore some pesky little six year old, for that is how you are behaving. I thought it would be good for the colorado local forum, which is composed of a large percentage of "downhillers", to hear your beef. It's your choice if you want to remain a heckler from the stands. You will probably get to the top of everyones ignore list before long.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Renegade said:
Lord opie just sent me this private message, which I thought I'd share with you all;
"man, stop polluting the forum with your garbage. If you have nothing to contribute to a thread, PM me.

You're such a whiny punk."

Take this into account the next time you read one of his intelligent and informative posts.

Opie, I won't bother p.m.ing you this, I want everyone to know that I would like nothing better than to get together with you personally, and let you know how I feel about you, in a personal, physical sense. I'm not talking about getting intimate with you. I will enjoy beating you till your a bloody little pulp. They'll be no hiding behind your little cyberspace identity you little sh*t.
I'll be at Bull & Bush Thursday night from 5:30 to 7:30p :D

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Gheezus christ people!!! I'm tired of getting reported posts!!! We all ride bikes, that's the main thing, so what can't everyone just get along instead of threating each other with BS like I've read in this thread!!??

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I'm just hoping to go on one of those lord opie hiking trips I've heard do much about.

Oh and renegade, i've noticed that some of the mods like to call it whining when you disagree with something but when they disagree it's just a comment.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Wow! I missed quite the thread. In all seriousness without clouding the issue with other things to evade answering the question. What is the problem with DHers? Did you have a bad experience.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Lexx D said:
I'm just hoping to go on one of those lord opie hiking trips I've heard do much about.

Oh and renegade, i've noticed that some of the mods like to call it whining when you disagree with something but when they disagree it's just a comment.
And who are you referring to?? I play no favorites on the board!

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Freak said:
And who are you referring to?? I play no favorites on the board!
and I appreciate that. I'm just saying that RM has labeled me a "whiner" a couple times before. I just thought it's funny that others can disagree and bicker but when some people do it it's "whining". I'm not trying to pick a fight but it does seem a bit hipocritical. And no i can't say i've ever had an issue with you.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Lexx D said:
and I appreciate that. I'm just saying that RM has labeled me a "whiner" a couple times before. I just thought it's funny that others can disagree and bicker but when some people do it it's "whining". I'm not trying to pick a fight but it does seem a bit hipocritical. And no i can't say i've ever had an issue with you.

You should take that up with RM OFF THE BOARD :thumb:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Motionboy2 said:
Wow! I missed quite the thread. In all seriousness without clouding the issue with other things to evade answering the question. What is the problem with DHers? Did you have a bad experience.
I assume you're asking me Josh?

Nah, I like DHers just fine. It's irresponsible and reckless people I don't like, whatever the situation. I also enjoy antagonizing renegayd, but Freak seemed really upset so I'm gonna chill for a while. And Ren does seem the type to ride without regard to others. If he didn't, I don't honestly understand why he always and consistently gets really defensive when this topic is brought up.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Well, Opie, though I don't know you really all that well, I have to admit that I'm surprised. When I first started reading the posts in this thread, I kept thinking "Oh, they shouldn't get their panties in a bunch, Opie's just being a smarty." And I kept reading on expecting to see "Hey guys, relax, it was a joke." But I didn't see it. So I wonder what your thought process is there.

So, on to the thing about anyone being in DH armor is apparently planning on riding recklessly...seriously, think about that. It seems pretty ignorant. You wear a helmet right? Sure, you know how to ride some techie trails, but there's a chance that something might go awry and you wipe out, so you're protecting your noggin just in case. So it's the same with DHers...they're likely riding stuff on trails that you and I wouldn't even think about, that we'd get off our bikes for (and you KNOW that there are plenty of spots like that on XC trails that we ride). But they're on bikes that can possibly clear the stuff, and their skills might be good enough to clear it. But something could go awry and they could wipe out...but the consequences are likely far more painful. So they choose to wear a little more protection JUST IN CASE.

So you don't like irresponsible and reckless people? Those are the people that try these same spots and don't wear protective gear. Ya know what, there are plenty of XCers that do that. I've had plenty of lycra-wearing, LiteSpeed riding, weight weenies go flying downhill past me without even making an attempt at giving any right of way. So it goes both ways.

Anyway, to the subject...
Ascent, I don't think you're necessarily an "anomaly" per se...I think you're simply experiencing an evolution of this sport/hobby (call it what you will). I think it's also something that we're going to start seeing more and more of over the next couple of years.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
LordOpie said:
I assume you're asking me Josh?

Nah, I like DHers just fine. It's irresponsible and reckless people I don't like, whatever the situation. I also enjoy antagonizing renegayd, but Freak seemed really upset so I'm gonna chill for a while. And Ren does seem the type to ride without regard to others. If he didn't, I don't honestly understand why he always and consistently gets really defensive when this topic is brought up.
Yeah, I guess I should have specified. I don't want to put words in Rennys mouth or anything but I kinda think that he is defensive for the same reason lots of the local dhers are defensive. I don't think it is because they are all guilty, I think it is more that they see that there is limited riding for their sport. They just want to defend their sport so they don't loose all access.
When GH was still around I was up there one day and we found something in the woods that warrented calling the police. When the fire guys came from the GH department and the sherif arrived we got chatting and they mentioned that they know the riding is here, they never have problems though. He said he did however heli-evac 3 roadies that summer for riding down the road to fast and not making the corners. I guess that is really a pointless story except that it shows that there are people that are irresponcible in every sport some slide across a road into a car and cause damage to themself and to the car, some slide across a trail. It doesn't reflect the whole group.
I am not debating, I guess it seems that way, but this is my view when I step back for a moment and look at it.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Renegade said:
Why don't we just give tickets to whoever lord opie doesn't like? I wear forearm armor for protection againts trees and the occasional oops; does that make me reckless?
I'm not trying to bag on you, but if you have skills, you don't need armor, any of it. IF you are pushing to the point where you are using armor, you are reckless, and might hurt someone else, and create more problems for the trail usage in the future.

Opie, so I DON'T ASSUME, just what are your issues with downhill riders?
I don't know Opie, but he has the right attitude. Just don't promote that you are DHing specifically. I don't know many that will ride a bike up Chimney gultch in full armor with a full face helmet.

Besides, I want a healthy debate on the issue. Opinions are why I opened this topic up. Save the local trails for goofing off and getting in shape, and head to keystone (or your specific private DH spot).

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Motionboy2 said:
What is the problem with DHers? Did you have a bad experience.
Nah. When you turn your bike around after doing a long uphill, you instantly become the Downhiller. Its the responsibility and image (hence the 'armor' discussion) that I want to help our community out with.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Full Trucker said:
I for one, raise a post-ride PBR and a chicken wing in your honor!
I'll buy the beer. I don't do Bull n' bush though. Great place, to far within the city. My regular hangout is at Golden City Brewery... you can find it if you continue the downhill trek from Chimney Gultch.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Ascentrek said:
I'm not trying to bag on you, but if you have skills, you don't need armor, any of it. IF you are pushing to the point where you are using armor, you are reckless, and might hurt someone else, and create more problems for the trail usage in the future.

I don't know Opie, but he has the right attitude. Just don't promote that you are DHing specifically. I don't know many that will ride a bike up Chimney gultch in full armor with a full face helmet.

Besides, I want a healthy debate on the issue. Opinions are why I opened this topic up. Save the local trails for goofing off and getting in shape, and head to keystone (or your specific private DH spot).
See now I don't agree. If you have skills you can still fall. Nobody is invincable. That would be like saying, if you are good then you shouldn't wear a helmet. I Know some people that use knee-shin gaurds on XC rides mainly because they have grown accustom to having them on.

Also for some "pushing it to the point that you need armor" is riding on dirt. I had a GF in college that I couldn't convince to ride on the trail unless she put on my elbow and knee gaurds. She was just terrified of falling.

Just my .02

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ascentrek said:
I'll buy the beer.
no way man... I'm buying you a beer if I ever have the chance.

I don't care if anyone agrees with me, but most people in this thread didn't even try to see another point of view :(

Motionboy2 said:
I had a GF in college that I couldn't convince to ride on the trail unless she put on my elbow and knee gaurds.
So you're saying that only people who wear armor are girls? Ok, I'll agree with that! :devil:

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Motionboy2 said:
See now I don't agree. If you have skills you can still fall. Nobody is invincable. That would be like saying, if you are good then you shouldn't wear a helmet. I Know some people that use knee-shin gaurds on XC rides mainly because they have grown accustom to having them on.

Just my .02
Excellent point. I do ride with a helmet... hmm... I guess its a safety thing more than any. Now we just gotta convince the non bikers of that.

I'm going downtown to ride Trials... woo hoo!

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
LordOpie said:

I don't care if anyone agrees with me, but most people in this thread didn't even try to see another point of view
I don't think you gave anyone a chance to see the other side. Your first post was pretty abrupt and put others on the defensive.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Motionboy2 said:
I don't think you gave anyone a chance to see the other side. Your first post was pretty abrupt and put others on the defensive.
aww, come on Josh, that's weak.

Ascentrek said:
Excellent point. I do ride with a helmet... hmm...
There's a big difference between a helmet and shin/forearm guards. A rock to the arm *might* break it, but the same rock and force to the head has a far more serious consequence.

ladge

Chimp
May 5, 2002
Arvada
I just can't agree. I'm trying to be open minded but labeling someone because of what they look like instead of their actions is a bad deal. You take that first step, then what? Weight or travel restrictions on trails? Great...this trail is only rated for three inch travel bikes ( huh, my first DH bike in 1995 had 3 inches of travel, if I still had it today would it be considered XC?? ). Eff that.

Much like you, my XC bike is a 40.5 lb bike (most would label it DH). If I wear armor, it's knee and elbow and that's it (no chest or full face armor). I typically don't fall going downhill, and I agree somewhat with 2001's comment about certain speeds warrant armor. But riding up the switchbacks on the backside of Matthew Winters a few months ago, I took a good fall ( doing maybe 3-4mph ) trying to get up and around one of the switchbacks. I fell at least 6-7 feet, and bounced off a big rock at the bottom then continued falling down the rest of the hill. I'm sure that if I hadn't for some reason put my leg armor on that day, I would have shattered my kneecap and really hurt my arm. I guess my point would be armor is for safety, not fashion or wanting to look like a tough cool DH dude.

Just curious, you ride these Jeffco trails frequently, as do I. I've seen the schmucks on big rigs screw up periodically. But when comparing the numbers, I see far more people riding at these areas that are definitely more "XC" type of riders ( i.e. no armor, short travel if any, high seats, sub 29 pound bikes ) disregarding the rules. I don't know how many times I've been almost hit by some guy or girl who had no riding skills not yielding to uphill traffic. Just a week ago a group of 3 XC riders decided to cut the trail at White Ranch where the new singletrack section starts just after the gulley/bridge. They didn't feel like waiting for the horses coming up so they just straight cut it.

Lift served isn't a valid solution, at least not the entire answer. People work or have lives, sometimes they don't have time to hit the lift served after a 9-5 day. Maybe this "freeride" trail or whatnot that is getting built over by Thunder Valley will alleviate some of the problem.

I have some friends that are as "XC" as could possibly be. They want nothing to do with DH, just because it's not their cup of tea. Some of them have started wearing knee or elbow armor, especially after one of them fell on a section he'd cleared many times, but this time he came out with a dislocated elbow and broken arm - we're talking about almost needing a titanium replacement elbow. Is he bringing the local trails down because he decided it might be good to ride in armor to prevent a similar accident? No.

Worst thing is, I ride these trails on a big bike, sometimes with armor. I don't piss people off, in fact I try to operate at the other end of the spectrum and try to get my semi-sized arse over for most people if there isn't ample passing room (XL frame with DC fork means wide load). Yet I have to endure the comments about how I'm adding to the problem....

There's got to be a better answer than ban the big bikes and armor from the xc trails. I'm getting to the point where I'm almost ready to start going old school - kinda like when we would "police the pit" at concerts back in the day to make sure things stayed real and fun. Maybe we should just start pummelling these doofuses when we see them dinking up on the trails....

GravityPilot

Chimp
Jan 13, 2004
Frisco, CO
I just have one quick thing to say, I always ride with knee and shin armor because I can't afford to trash my legs anymore. Sometimes I ride with a full face, but that depends on my mood. If people want to label me a DH'r or whatever because I want to protect myself, so be it, that just shows how close minded they are, but I'm sure as crap not gonna be a jerk to them just cuz they're givin me dirty looks. The problem isn't people wearing armor or riding a big bike, it's that they aren't being curteous. I can think of a couple of front range trails where I have been hauling and encountered hikers or XC riders. All that needs to be done is slow down maybe stop so they can pass, say hi, and maybe even smile. I know it sounds cheesy but it works. I also know that we DHers shudder to think of stopping mid-run, but honestly how much does it matter. I know prolly a couple of people have said this but I just wanted to speak my mind on the subject. Oh ya and I like pancakes.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
GravityPilot said:
I just have one quick thing to say, I always ride with knee and shin armor because I can't afford to trash my legs anymore. Sometimes I ride with a full face, but that depends on my mood. If people want to label me a DH'r or whatever because I want to protect myself, so be it, that just shows how close minded they are, but I'm sure as crap not gonna be a jerk to them just cuz they're givin me dirty looks. The problem isn't people wearing armor or riding a big bike, it's that they aren't being curteous. I can think of a couple of front range trails where I have been hauling and encountered hikers or XC riders. All that needs to be done is slow down maybe stop so they can pass, say hi, and maybe even smile. I know it sounds cheesy but it works. I also know that we DHers shudder to think of stopping mid-run, but honestly how much does it matter. I know prolly a couple of people have said this but I just wanted to speak my mind on the subject. Oh ya and I like pancakes.
:thumb:

PS: French Toast rules!

anarchyUK, don't be so friggin' lazy...
http://carcino.gen.nz/images/image.php/463c5922/arguing.jpg

kdog-rider

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Boulder Colorado
LordOpie said:
I find it funny that you posted this since your one of the people arguing :p

I for one always yeild to uphill riders because its the nice thing to do. I don't think its right how ever when I'm downhilling at keystone or were ever there are people riding up the DH trails and they don't yeild to me. It seems to me that XC riders are more arrogent than downhillers, but you don't see us trying to ban you spandex wearing geeks form the mountians.

Also when a hiker sees a rider if they are wearing a full face then they assume that they will get run off the trail and jump off. This does not give us a chance to stop and then they leave thinking that we ran them off.

And maybe you should try to see other people's point of view LordOpie because it always seems like there is some one who you have pissed off.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
It really is interesting to see the debate on this subject. Deal is, I've posted before on this forum ripping on XCr's for not staying ON the trail. I can rip on DH's too. Its fun, sometimes, but no point. Its like debating religion and politics... everyone has their opinion. I like to see what people really feel about this subject and why.

However, I ride a red/black Bullit with an 03 Super T on the front. In my opinion, its the ultimate all mountain bike (and I can make some substantial trials moves with it as well). I ride alot, in fact, I've prolly said hi to one of you at some point. Hopefully I'll get to ride with one of you monkeys someday. If you see me, pull me over and chat. I'm pretty laid back about not making it to the top (or bottom) under a specific time.

As for the Hiker jumping off of the trail comment. To make it seem like you're really courteous, as soon as you see them seeing you, pull over first. You may be there a bit longer, but it really does help our cause. (the real reason is I'm outta breath).

anarchyUK

Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Boulder CO
well put
or we could bitch because gold hill is no mo and try to fing a place for DH only
i know we one talked to haritige square and are cerently speaking to aldora
i know for a fact that if you are in a full face and come within 20 ft of a hiker you are officialy runnig them off the trail(snoby hiker rule 12342-sec.56)
but it is also a good idea to stay off "up hill" trails so you do not have to wory about this. If you want some time on a dh bike go DJ on it of wait untill the lifts open, eh?
just my idea.
just ride a bike and be happy you can
all my love
matt

dougrender

Chimp
Jun 14, 2002
Boulder
I've been wearing both knee and shin guards for several years, whether I'm on my rigid Chameleon single speed or my RM6. I don't know that anyone has ever looked at me sideways for it.

when did everyone leave RM and go to MTBR?