Quantcast

The argument against Gmail

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Their key argument is that Googles keyword matching technology could amount to "spying". However, any hosted email service could simply logon to their servers and read your entire email if they wanted. Keyword matching technology or not. These anti-gmail people are really pretty dumb.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
1)If you are that worried about privacy you shouldn't be using free web mail anyway.

2) You need to lube that tinfoil hat with LITHIUM based grease. It will be more comfy and help deflect those rays better.

3) Who want's g-mail... I have like 50 invites!

4) G-mail isn't creepy. N8's avatar, now that's creepy!

:D

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Ridemonkey said:
Their key argument is that Googles keyword matching technology could amount to "spying". However, and hosted email service could simply logon to their servers and read your entire email if they wanted. Keyword matching technology or not. These anti-gmail people are really pretty dumb.
and the other main argument I've heard is that your email is never actually taken off of their system. even when you chose to delete it they still hold onto it, I guess this allows them to "know" you better.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
heres a few choice quotes... basically its saying that gmail is specifically for data mining and privacy invasion, and for the most part, its right.

the language in their new policy makes it clear that they will be pooling all the information they collect on you from all of their various services. Moreover, they may keep this information indefinitely, and give this information to whomever they wish.
After 180 days in the U.S., email messages lose their status as a protected communication under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, and become just another database record.
Google uses the term "governmental request" three times on their terms-of-use page and once on their privacy page. Google's language means that all Gmail account holders have consented to allow Google to show any and all email in their Gmail accounts to any official from any government whatsoever, even when the request is informal or extralegal, at Google's sole discretion.
The point is this: Some two-thirds of all Google searches come in from outside the U.S., and Gmail will also have a global reach. We're not dealing with only the FBI (and yes, the same privacy advocates who oppose Gmail are dealing with the FBI), but potentially with hundreds of agencies in dozens of countries. Google has no data retention policies, and never comments on their relationships with governments. The problem must be addressed at the source, which is Google. Elitist digerati do a disservice to the entire world when they assume such narrow points of view.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
dfinn said:
and the other main argument I've heard is that your email is never actually taken off of their system. even when you chose to delete it they still hold onto it, I guess this allows them to "know" you better.
This is true of most other email systems as well, especially corporate ones. By law organizations are req'd to keep email for audit reasons. Someone else probably has more specifics than I do... I know we keep everything here.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Barbaton said:
This is true of most other email systems as well, especially corporate ones. By law organizations are req'd to keep email for audit reasons. Someone else probably has more specifics than I do... I know we keep everything here.

That's not at all true from what I've seen. I'm a system administrator and I've been managing large corporate mail servers for 5 or 6 years now. I've only heard of one of our smaller shared email hosting customers that wanted to keep a copy of all incoming and outgoing email for "legal" purposes and I talked them out of it (they actually just wanted to snoop on employees, but they were never checking the account so it just got huge and took up all their space).

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Lefty said:
The answer to Gmail is Yahoo mail. I got two accounts and both of them are 1.0 gb to. Lately they upgraded it from 250 mb to 1.0 gb. mail.yahoo.com
Yahoo is just the same as G-mail... just different companies. Read the EULA.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ridemonkey said:
Their key argument is that Googles keyword matching technology could amount to "spying". However, any hosted email service could simply logon to their servers and read your entire email if they wanted. Keyword matching technology or not. These anti-gmail people are really pretty dumb.
I don't know about that. The anti-gmail argument might be no more paranoid than the idea that the gov't taping every phone conversation in America. The difference is that Google does have the computing power to monitor your email for keywords so they could create marketing trends.

This might not be any more sinster than Google determining whether more people like Coke vs. Pepsi. But think about the phone company tapping your conversations in order to give a better picture of you to telemarketers.

There is no privacy in the computer age. The question is do you want your personal correspondence to become marketing information.

BTW, in that tract there was no mention that Google is actually doing market research on your email, just the potential. And don't think yahoo or hotmail are any better.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The gmail argument is completely and utterly stupid. Anyone who actually thinks that their webmail is 100% private and safe is deluded.

There isn't one single reason to believe that Gmail collects more information than, say, Hotmail or Yahoo. Not one.

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
SkaredShtles said:
One thing to keep in mind:

Email is NOT private. Period. None of it. Don't put $hit in email that you wouldn't want everyone else seeing.

Encryption is possible, but a PITA for most users.

-S.S.-
:stupid:

Don't put anything in an email you wouldn't want on a postcard!

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
dfinn said:
That's not at all true from what I've seen. I'm a system administrator and I've been managing large corporate mail servers for 5 or 6 years now. I've only heard of one of our smaller shared email hosting customers that wanted to keep a copy of all incoming and outgoing email for "legal" purposes and I talked them out of it (they actually just wanted to snoop on employees, but they were never checking the account so it just got huge and took up all their space).
Hmm. On further inspection, it seems that Sarbanes-Oxley section 802 requires email to be kept for 7 years. Am I misinterpreting that?

Edit: There seems to be disagreement whether it's 5 or 7 years, but section 802 (a) (2) seems pretty clear about keeping it:

"The Securities and Exchange Commission shall promulgate, within 180 days, such rules and regulations, as are reasonably necessary, relating to the retention of relevant records such as workpapers, documents that form the basis of an audit or review, memoranda, correspondence, communications, other documents, and records (including electronic records) which are created, sent, or received in connection with an audit or review and contain conclusions, opinions, analyses, or financial data relating to such an audit or review."

Edit 2: Records from an audit must be kept for 5 years (802-a-1). The rules that the SEC "promulgated," presumably within 180 days of S-Ox becoming law, call for 7 year retention of documents or communication, including those electronic.

How compliant is your company with S-OX? Sure you're not talking them into non-compliance if they ever get audited? Don't want to get your CEO in trouble now, or do you? :sneaky: :thumb:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Although I agree that these complaints are the same with any email provider, it does bring up a few things that are valid.

I mean, data mining, consumer profiling and all of that stuff has been going on for a long time and, a lot of times, I don't think people realize that it's being done and how big and interconnected these kinds of data sets can get. Email dangers seems limited because it's controlled, pretty anonymous and not spatially referenced as far as I know, but it's still an issue.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Barbaton said:
Hmm. On further inspection, it seems that Sarbanes-Oxley section 802 requires email to be kept for 7 years. Am I misinterpreting that?

Edit: There seems to be disagreement whether it's 5 or 7 years, but section 802 (a) (2) seems pretty clear about keeping it:

"The Securities and Exchange Commission shall promulgate, within 180 days, such rules and regulations, as are reasonably necessary, relating to the retention of relevant records such as workpapers, documents that form the basis of an audit or review, memoranda, correspondence, communications, other documents, and records (including electronic records) which are created, sent, or received in connection with an audit or review and contain conclusions, opinions, analyses, or financial data relating to such an audit or review."

Edit 2: Records from an audit must be kept for 5 years (802-a-1). The rules that the SEC "promulgated," presumably within 180 days of S-Ox becoming law, call for 7 year retention of documents or communication, including those electronic.

How compliant is your company with S-OX? Sure you're not talking them into non-compliance if they ever get audited? Don't want to get your CEO in trouble now, or do you? :sneaky: :thumb:
Busted!!!

Seriously, I just completed a SOX audit. Not to be f*cked with...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Barbaton said:
Well that's specifically related to certain types of records, not all general email.

I work in Regulatory (for the medical device industry) and my boss would have a freakin' heart attack if I told him I had retained emails for 7 years. We have some pretty strict document retention policies and email isn't supposed to stay around for more than 1 year unless archived for a specific purpose.