Quantcast

The Atkins backlash begins!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by dante
do people actually read the diets before they jump onto the bandwagon?? Haven't read the fatkins book, but the south beach book is LOADED with "good fats/bad fats, good carbs/bad carbs" type of stuff. The whole point is to eat low fat meals like chicken or good fat such as fish or olive oil. He advocates turkey bacon, turkey burgers, etc. It's not just "bacon cheeseburgers without the bun". From what I've heard about atkins thing is that it's much the same way.

stupid idiots. :angry:
dante
yup, that's the problem. atkins, as per the book, limits one to 20g of net carbs (read: carbs - fiber) per day for the first month, then relaxes. 20g is really hard to adhere to, especially for the steak-gobbling masses who are "doing atkins" except not at all. :mad:

furthermore, there's a whole section about avoiding foods with high glycemic indices -- the advice is sound, it's basically "avoiding diabetes 101", but people just don't get it.

May 4, 2004
a computer near you!
with the aktins diet people think they can eat anything they want to as long as they dont eat anything with carbs. thats wrong! you still have to watch the food with cholesterole too, or heart problems will happen....come on people, its common since! :nuts:

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
You can just drop some in a drink ,the only down fall to Meth is not only do you loose lots of weight but your teeth,mind erections :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Important things ,also my tweeker sister is a fat tweeker with no teeth :devil: :devil:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Originally posted by syadasti
I say sue Aktins until they are gone. I am tired of seeing all that fad food - they have even started offering it at local resturants here - quit ruining the menu :p

When will people learn there is no quick/lazy fix to everything in life. Dieting does not work. The average weight loss on diets after 5 years is ZERO. You cannot just pop pills, eat some unhealthy diet for awhile, use some overly complex dieting scheme, or get your stomach shrunk. Overtime the unhealthy lifestyle and environment that fosters it will allow them to revert back to their old ways or adapt (ie people with stapled stomachs eating extremely dense high caloric food to compensate for the stomach size change).

You must change you lifestyle and environment you live in to achieve permanent healthy weight loss.

PROPS bro, couldnt have said it better myself. I try and tell people this all the time!

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Sometimes I'm good, sometimes I'm not. Over the winter I put on about 10lbs that I don't want, but I'll get it off. Ever since I hit 26 years of age, I've had a hard time keeping the weight off... thank you slower metabolism! ;)

I did the Aktins thing for a while and was pretty successful at it. I actually did NOT eat lots of fat. I ate lean meat, fish, and lots of chicken. No sausage, bacon, hamburgers without the bun, cream sauces (although I admit cheese was my weakness!) I basically used Atkins to kick-start my weight loss and force myself to eat healthy. The immediate weight loss was a motivator and at the same time, I was getting into a habit of eating better. But I didn't jump into it... I researched, read and did what I thought was best for my body and mind.

The problem (and it's already been stated here) is that people don't do their research. They just jump in and assume that anything that says "low-carb" will fit. They load up on fast-food grease-bowls looking for a quick fix. And Atkins is NOT a diet you can "cheat" a bit on. Once you eat a bit of carbs, it instantly takes you out of the Ketosis state. It takes about another 2 days of eating very strict to get back into Ketosis. I don't think most Atkins' dieter understand this.

What is going to happen to them when they reach their goal weight? After eating months and months of crappola, they're going to balloon up again because they didn't change their eating habits. You have to develop a "habit" of eating healthy.

First step... go home and throw away all the crap food. If it is not there, you can't be tempted by it.

Friggin' sue-happy morons. :angry: