Quantcast

The avy cult...

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Bought an 03 ih sgs dh with an avy in oct 03 sold that. Now have a foes rocking the dhf-8ti on the front.

Who else has avy? What you got?

I love the way avy shocks feel, the curnutts are a close runner up tho super plush just like an avy

I know seismic, kanter, brian, tmx and a few others out there rock the avy

Maybe one day acadian will ride one and put a review on pbike

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
snowskilz said:
the curnutts are a close runner up tho super plush just like an avy

My curnutt felt pretty crappy compared to my DHX on the same bike. All hail the DHX.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
wow AR. yea i have some what the same setup
you;d still be a cult member for the rear shock.
i have 2 bikes with Avy rear shocks.
but they also have 888s on the front of each, i'm set with that fork.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I HATED the Curnutt on my Fly. It was terrible. It had absolutely no small bump sensitivity. It climbed pretty good and took drops well but my Avy climbs just as good, drops better, and is SUPER plush. I would never own a Curnutt. I actually traded Foes my Curnutt for a Romic and a S-floater rod and a race jersey for my FLY. Yes a Romic...... The Romic was better than the Curnutt.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Kanter said:
I HATED the Curnutt on my Fly. It was terrible. It had absolutely no small bump sensitivity. It climbed pretty good and took drops well but my Avy climbs just as good, drops better, and is SUPER plush. I would never own a Curnutt. I actually traded Foes my Curnutt for a Romic and a S-floater rod and a race jersey for my FLY. Yes a Romic...... The Romic was better than the Curnutt.
I don't know if he was including the cunutt just because it is a "big" shock and dwarfs about anything else. For the "size" then, I expected it to be quite a bit better than it was. Better than a 5th? A little, but the DHX is better on every account. Due to other "good" shocks on the market now, I wonder what is going to happen to the curnutt line. Will it be a matter of pride? Will we see better curnut products? Or will they just "go away"?

I don't see any point in owning a curnutt in the future at this point either.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
snowskilz said:
I love the way avy shocks feel, the curnutts are a close runner up tho super plush just like an avy

IMO, the Romic is TWICE the shock of an AVY at HALF the price.

I've heard people bash Romic but i have never had a problem with mine. I have over 1000 runs on the Romic. I also ran AVY's for 2 years and also about 1000 runs total and the Romic is a much better perfoming shock.....

And when the AVY stops feeling so great you have to deal with Seekins. He is the most cantankerous human i have ever dealt with in the bicycle industry.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Cant Climb said:

I've heard people bash Romic but i have never had a problem with mine. I have over 1000 runs on the Romic. I also ran AVY's for 2 years and also about 1000 runs total and the Romic is a much better perfoming shock.....

And when the AVY stops feeling so great you have to deal with Seekins. He is the most cantankerous human i have ever dealt with in the bicycle industry.
hahahahaha

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Cant Climb said:
there is some tough competition in the field, that's for sure.

i thought that MX shops could rebuild/recharge w/ N2? what happened that you had to have craig service it?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Cant Climb said:

Don't you remember what happened to Sharon Tate?
Helter Skelter.
The cult is gathering.
You can feel it in the air.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I am going to take some pictures of my bike tomorrow and post them. When it comes to what I am running it is a Avy DHS with Ti spring on the rear and a MTN-8 with full upgrades and a Ti spring on the front !

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Cant Climb said:
LOL!!! He didn't want to sell me a spring for my Romic because I was in Canada...too much trouble with customs papers??? I told him I was really considering getting a DHS during the winter but at the time it was the end of the season for me so I didn't want to get it right away, all I needed was a spring. Anyways, he blew me off and I ended up getting an El Jefe.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
(In attempt to de-thread this avy thread)

...I'm sure this BC softwood would be great as well and there's so much of it!!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
narlus said:
there is some tough competition in the field, that's for sure.

i thought that MX shops could rebuild/recharge w/ N2? what happened that you had to have craig service it?
Back then he offered "Custom Tuning". You would call him and ask him to slow the rebound down and he tells you.

"What class are you ?" - I'm Expert and then explain want i wanted.
He says, "Well your not fast enough for that adjustment".

Then when that approach didnt work you try to explain to him what characteristics of the shock you didn't like about it and would completely rebuff your opinion. Like your not good enogh to have a valid explanation.

The shocks would work great for about 3-4 weeks then the characteristcs of the shock action would change and he wouldnt admit it. Those first 3-4 weeks after rebuild the shocks are the best i ever rode but after that they crappola........the shock would buck you feroscioulsly on waterbars for example....and when just trail riding it had what we referred to as "Micro buck". THe shock would kick over the smallest stuff.....just enough to affect your tracking of the trail.

After 2000 runs on Romic/AVY, i will always say......
"Romic is TWICE the shock for HALF the price."

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
personally i think CC is on some kind of mad crack... i haven t ridden romics, but look at the sheer number of failures... doesn t inspire confidence... my DHS feels awesome, far and away the best shock i ve ever ridden...

go the avy cult :thumb:

here she is, carefully hidden under my custom THE fender...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Cant Climb said:
After 2000 runs on Romic/AVY, i will always say......
"Romic is TWICE the shock for HALF the price."
Totally.

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Cant Climb said:
The shocks would work great for about 3-4 weeks then the characteristcs of the shock action would change and he wouldnt admit it. Those first 3-4 weeks after rebuild the shocks are the best i ever rode but after that they crappola........the shock would buck you feroscioulsly on waterbars for example....and when just trail riding it had what we referred to as "Micro buck". THe shock would kick over the smallest stuff.....just enough to affect your tracking of the trail."[/I]
Is that why when I bought a severely hacked Racelink that hadn't been serviced for 1.5 years it felt great?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
partsbara said:
personally i think CC is on some kind of mad crack... i haven t ridden romics, but look at the sheer number of failures... doesn t inspire confidence... my DHS feels awesome, far and away the best shock i ve ever ridden...
Just reporting what i found in my experience......glad it works for you.....

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
partsbara said:
cool... i m curious, what bike did / do you have the romic on ??? is it the same bike you had the avy on ???

partsbara
had the Avy on a 2001 Karpeil DV.....the shock was durable. i exploded several Risse and Fox shock on the DV but i liked the ride of the Risse the best.....

Then got the Avy on a 2002 DHR....turn the rebound into full slow and shock still rebounded ridiculously.....

My Romic is on a 2003 DHR which is a 3.0 stroke......alot of people on the net seem to have problems with them but i think it does a real nice job and the adjustments are basic but work nice.....

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Cant Climb said:
My Romic is on a 2003 DHR which is a 3.0 stroke......alot of people on the net seem to have problems with them but i think it does a real nice job and the adjustments are basic but work nice.....
It's just that bad batch with the oil draining out of the compression adjuster hole. When my Romic worked, I liked it a lot.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Cant Climb said:
had the Avy on a 2001 Karpeil DV.....the shock was durable. i exploded several Risse and Fox shock on the DV but i liked the ride of the Risse the best.....

Then got the Avy on a 2002 DHR....turn the rebound into full slow and shock still rebounded ridiculously.....

The rebound tends to feel fast when you're pushing on the bike, as mine does. However once you start going at speed the rebound works better, I believe is more of a high speed valving. I've never felt the bike bucking at all. If you want the Fox, Romic slow rebound, it's definatly the wrong shock for you.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Brian HCM#1 said:
The rebound tends to feel fast when you're pushing on the bike, as mine does. However once you start going at speed the rebound works better, I believe is more of a high speed valving. I've never felt the bike bucking at all.
i believe he said it was fast when he was riding....getting bucked and such.

i know i know, it must be crushing.... :nuts:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
ChrisRobin said:
It's just that bad batch with the oil draining out of the compression adjuster hole. When my Romic worked, I liked it a lot.
I had that problem with the Romic too. I noticed it at the Snowshoe Norba race and i ran into the Romic guys after the moutain cross race and they were piss drunk and opened up the trailer and fixed it right there on the spot.....never had a problem since.....

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Brian HCM#1 said:
The rebound tends to feel fast when you're pushing on the bike, as mine does. However once you start going at speed the rebound works better, I believe is more of a high speed valving. I've never felt the bike bucking at all. If you want the Fox, Romic slow rebound, it's definatly the wrong shock for you.
In my experience the AVY rode like a magic carpet the first couple weekends after to every build/rebuild. Then it always reverted back to being Buck Wild everywhere....... A shock set-up correctly shoud always be able to take the massive hits. The adjustment knobs are more for fine tuning for the other 99% of the course/trail.

Letting it all hang out on the AVY was scary at times.....the Romic, i think, takes the big hits very well. That could all be set-up of the internals. I dont know, i'm no engineer. But i didn't like how the performance of the AVY seem to degrade rapidly over the course of a season.....

Nothing looks more bada$$ than an AVY though.....i do miss that.......

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Cant Climb said:
In my experience the AVY rode like a magic carpet the first couple weekends after to every build/rebuild. Then it always reverted back to being Buck Wild everywhere....... A shock set-up correctly shoud always be able to take the massive hits.
what frame are you talking about? progressive or linear suspension? my last frame was linear and there was no way the avy could differentiate between a small or large hit, thus the bottom out and result "boing OTB" when a fast big hit occurred.

so i bought a new frame ... problem fixed!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Acadian said:
you think? send me your e-mail addy and i'll send you excerpts of Kidwoo&#8217;s Newsletter (with pics).
Post 'em up!

I'm running the Romic on an '04 DHR now. When I first got the bike about two hundred people looked at the Romic and told me it'd blow in 3 seconds. Still working fine and hasn't developed any play, blown up or done anything except take heaps of abuse and keep coming back for more. One of my riding buddies just blew his 5-run old 5th Element and had to send it back for servicing - mwahahahaha.

But the internet is full of these kooky Avy cult folk who keep muttering strangely, worshipping some Craig figure and mobbing anyone who spreads heresy regarding these shocks. I'm starting to wonder what I'm missing out on here (some of these cults have cool perks - there's chicks in the cult right?) so I'll probably check out one of these things in the near future.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
avy is a niche product extra cash for less innovation but it works. Thats why i have loved the ones i have used. Many ppl have tried to derail this thread but its devoted to the ppl that love the product. Yeah so were is your review acadian? and can i get kidwoo's newletter too?