Quantcast

The bands that suck......

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The three times I have seen the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, they have had the unique effect of sucking the will to live right out of me.

Never could a band suck worse then them. Live or recorded.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I've had the unfortunate luck of seeing Everclear live TWICE! Horrible both times.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I hate bands that suck live. If they suck live, it makes me never want to listen to their music again because it will suck from that day forward.

Man, I haven't been to a show in a long time. I won box seats to see Bon Jovi a few years ago. I made my wife take someone else because I didn't want to hurl in one of the boxes at the Rose Garden.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i agree the red hot whatever they ares make me want to drive 6" nails into my eardrums...

they just plain sux...

the question is, 'why have you been back 3 times ?'... :confused:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Back in the late 80S, my big haired mall chick girlfriend got free tickets to see Whitesnake from a guy who liked to look at her boobs...
They SUCKED, so we left early and went to Dennys or someplace dumb:rofl:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
JohnE said:
Back in the late 80S, my big haired mall chick girlfriend got free tickets to see Whitesnake from a guy who liked to look at her boobs...
They SUCKED, so we left early and went to Dennys or someplace dumb:rofl:
did you do her in the backseat of a camaro while she wore white high heels ??

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Life of Agony---who I quickly dubbed "sound of agony" I saw them in San Bernardino in a venue that usually houses rodeos.....The smell of horse sh!t really fit their sound!

They were opening for Cannibal Corpse, Anthrax and The Misfits (strange lincup and a stranger mix of fans) The entire audience agreed with my feelings, which they expressed by hurling everything that wasn't bolted down at the singer.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
There have been a few. The most disapointing one was Mike Watt a few years back. I really really wanted to like this show because of all the other good stuff he's done.....but it blew. Him and a drummer and a keyboard. My buddy described it as when punk rock turns into new wave.

Best moment at a sh!tty show: Drove to Cinci from Knoxville to see a couple of bands who's names I can't remember at Bogarts. I went w/ some hommies; one who is burly and hairy and shaved head and tatooed and not someone to f*ck with type of cat. The second band plays a couple of weak songs and then the singer starts staggering around the stage like Jim Morrison. W/ his whinney emo voice he he proclaims "We are (can't remember) and we're from Los Angeles California." To this my friend shouts from the back of the club :"Then go the F*ck back there!" and the place cheers him and begins laughing at the band. They were ruined and played a very ****ty set w/ hommine not moving just stairing at the front man. Entertaining. The last two bands were good.

*edit: I'm sure my story is weak by other's standards. But it was damn funny at the time.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
partsbara said:
i agree the red hot whatever they ares make me want to drive 6" nails into my eardrums...

they just plain sux...

the question is, 'why have you been back 3 times ?'... :confused:
first time: front row at lisner auditorium. strike one
second time: lollapalooza. strike two
third time: with smashing pumpkins and pearl jam. strike three

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
stevew said:
first time: front row at lisner auditorium. strike one
second time: lollapalooza. strike two
third time: with smashing pumpkins and pearl jam. strike three
understood... i saw pearl jam play in bangkok... they sucked... thankfully they were supported by mudhoney... and they ripped sh1t... :thumb:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
JohnE said:
Smashing Pumpkins suck. A friend of mine dated Billy Corgan in HS, what an arrogant prick he was.

'Hollywood is a breeding ground for assholes
Egos get as big, as Billy Corgans (THAT'S BIG!)
Skinny girl, eat some more food!
Muscleman, you look like a fvcking freak!'

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
stinkyboy said:
Surely you caught the steaming Irony?

On a serious note, I caught Red Hot Chile Peppers twice in Europe in 1988. One show in Amsterdam, the guitarist passed out at the end.
In London, same thing (too much heroin) so Flea, Anthony, and the drummer did the show with no guitar, and much of it acoustic.
I think the guitarist died really soon after that. It was interesting, but did suck.
Once in Syracuse about that same time I jumped onstage with Fishbone, grabbed a mike, and started white boy rappin'. The guitarist was pissed off, but the lead dude (bald guy) actually let be belt out a few minutes of drivel.
That was FUN.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I went to a festival a few years ago with 13 bands (One being A Flock of Seagulls). Tickets were $12.50 and a local radio station got sued for promoting it as "$1 a band and 50¢ for A Flock of Seagulls"

:rofl:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Saw 'Cake' at a free show along the Charles river in Boston. I liked their music, good chill out music... but live they had NO energy. Sound was OK, but you just felt like you were in a car stuck in 1st gear. I kept expecting them to burst out with some energy and get everyone into it - nope.

We left early....

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
A friend and I walked into a 3:00 AM bar back in Illinois after a 24 hour straight drive from Phoenix. The "band" was a guy on bass and a girl with an accordian performing "Bad To Bone". It sucked so bad that it was hilarious! We were standing in front of the stage laughing so hard we had tears streaming down our faces.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Slugman said:
Saw 'Cake' at a free show along the Charles river in Boston. I liked their music, good chill out music... but live they had NO energy. Sound was OK, but you just felt like you were in a car stuck in 1st gear. I kept expecting them to burst out with some energy and get everyone into it - nope.

We left early....
I love Cake (mmm, cake :drool: ) but I couldn't imagine seeing them live. I do like to mellow out in the car with tunes though.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
stevew said:
The three times I have seen the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, they have had the unique effect of sucking the will to live right out of me.

Never could a band suck worse then them. Live or recorded.
.38 Special

I don't remember why I went, but when a band gets blown away by Huey Lewis & The News who opens for them, it's pretty sad.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Yeah Smashing Pickles was pretty bad, Corgan stood like 10 feet from the mic and just screamed. We walked out yelling at the top of the Amphitheater as loud as we could about how much he sucked. Lots of people left that set.

There was a band I think called Red Cross that opened for Stone Temple pilots way way back and they really sucked, thank God the Meat Puppets came on after them to cleanse my ears.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I thought Whitesnake put on a great show on the '87 tour, that was a killer lineup with Vandenberg, Sykes, etc.

Most of the shows I've seen live have been pretty good, I've generally made it a point to avoid paying to see bands that suck.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
stinkyboy said:
Nirvana sucked, but Kurt was stumbling all over the place completely wasted.
I saw them 2 times and both they were spot on... unfortunately in the "green room" downstairs of Grafiti Chris N. and Kurt set a couch on fire... I turned around and was like what the... a bouncer dude somehow got the thing out pretty quickly... I always thought couches weren't supposed to burn was the joke for quite a while...

I agree with who ever said RHCP... they sucked!!! I saw them as a kid at Parents weekend at JMU in VA when my older sis was in school... they were doing what looked like coke behind the drumset... in general they sucked... the second time I saw them the smashing Pumkins opened and sucked... Pearl Jam (I know hate me for this) really rocked!!! and it felt like someone put the car in reverse when the Chili's came on... they sucked worse than anything has ever sucked before!!! (well maybe not that bad but pretty bad)

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
The show I am going to tonight is either going to suck or totally rule.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
JohnE said:
Smashing Pumpkins suck. A friend of mine dated Billy Corgan in HS, what an arrogant prick he was.
it always came through!!! he was a prick before during and after the show I saw... and a friend of mine (who I was with) was supposedly friends with him...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
worst bands i've seen? all openers, that's for sure...in no particular order:

ten speed bike (opened for calexico at vicar st, in dublin), dreadfully awful generic rock band

social distortion saw 'em 3 times...twice opening for Neil Young (and SY was on the bill too), and once for the screaming trees...mike ness writes and sings songs in a fashion best described as 'wonder bread'.

any opener i've seen for guided by voices, not counting the '96 show i saw w/ Cat Power and Railroad Jerk. this list includes superconductor, the american flag and tommy keene (who i skipped)

hi beams ultra-generic new-wave band who opened for X way back when

the band who opened for the Stooges in dublin was horrible too...come to think of it, every single opener i saw in ireland was crap aside from Asian Dub Foundation who opened for Radiohead. they were quite good.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
It's definitely always the openers that suck for me, which is one of the major problems with going to $5 indie concerts. I will go because of one band, and the rest of them will be wretched.

I don't think a band need to put on a good show for me to like them. A lot of time they have really talent, but just not that much energetic/entertaining stage presnece. I like Social Distortion, but I cannot really imagine them putting on a good live show, same thing with Smashing Pumpkins.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Saw this time next year last weekend, I went outside half way through their first song.

Bob Dilan was terrible, the sound quality sucked, not to mention him being super drunk.

And then there was alkaline trio, but I knew ahead of time how bad they were (they were opening for rise against and thrice) so I went outside before they even started playing