Quantcast

The best articles youve read?

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
My favorite article was by Kevin Brooker in SBC Skier magazine's Hoser issue.

It started something like this...

"If Bob and Doug Mackenzie were from Nelson, BC - first off their names would be Herb and Bud..."

It was friggin hilarious - not bike related, but funny as hell none the less. To bring this back to biking articles, Kevin does occasionally write for Bike and his radio show "Road Pops" on www.cjsw.com (Friday afternoons from 4-6 Mountain time) is definitely the best radio program I've had the pleasure of listening to.

Eddie_Lad

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
Manchester UK
I read an article 2 years back in a BMX mag called DIG

it was about secret spots, and things that had never been ridden before, the article was called "keep it like a secret"

there were short stories about such stuff as:
-Countless full pipe stories, some in unbuild underground subways, some just big unfitted drainage pipes, a big drainage hole type thing *as with the nature of the article, its a bit thin on the details of it* and the glory hole in northern CA
- the hat in washington which is by far the coolest of the articles
- countless man made full pipes and flat banks being used not for there intentional purposes

and my most memorable picture ever, of a guy called garrett byrnes riding a HUGE film set background thing (curved, and he is about 20ft up) in a desert somewhere.....if only i had a scanner

has anyone else read this article/articles???

edd

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
The article on Chris King components this year is bike and the article about riding in switzerland also in bike. forget which months these were though.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by Eddie_Lad
I read an article 2 years back in a BMX mag called DIG

it was about secret spots, and things that had never been ridden before, the article was called "keep it like a secret"

edd
Ya, I remember reading that article. Really cool and it was after that when I started searching out crazy looking stunts.

One of my favorite articles recently was the Outside article on the canyoner who cut off his own arm....funny and inspiring as well as damn scary.

Next would be a Bike article last year called "elements" or something. It was about the 4 crucial elements to mountain biking, awesome pictures and at the time(had been off the bike for about six months due to college) was damn inspiring.

The Ito

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
My favorite magazine article ever was the Grimy Handshake column in the October 2003 issue of Bike, written by Mike Ferrentino. It was titled "The Neverending 5hit Gift," and I laughed for about 20 minutes straight after reading it. It might be online now at www.bikemag.com , so if you can find it, read it. It's great.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My favorite was the:

Five Or Six Dudes Jump Out Of Nowhere And Just Start Whaling On This One Guy

article from The Onion.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by erikkellison
Do you have a link? I can't seem to find it anywhere...
I did a search and tried to link it, but you have to have that Onion Elite club stuff to see it anymore. Those money grubbing ****s.

But trust me, it was good.

EDIT:

I'm at work, so I cant view the Onion Archives, but here is the lead from the story
"Shock and disbelief were the prevailing reactions Monday, when pizza-delivery guy Lyle Kelso, 24, reported to roommates that at around 2 or 3 a.m., he personally witnessed, like, five or six dudes suddenly jump out of freakin' nowhere and just start totally whaling on this one guy."

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Originally posted by dexterq20
My favorite magazine article ever was the Grimy Handshake column in the October 2003 issue of Bike, written by Mike Ferrentino. It was titled "The Neverending 5hit Gift," and I laughed for about 20 minutes straight after reading it. It might be online now at www.bikemag.com , so if you can find it, read it. It's great.
That was classic! Completly described me and all the people I ride with. Best article ever!