Quantcast

The best beer I've ever had.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I recently returned from a month in Germany, where a .5 liter bottle of beer is one-third the cost of a bottle of water (.40 Euros vs 1.25 average). Needless to say, the vast majority of my caloric intake came from Hefeweizens and Altbiers.

But the best beer I tried was Belgian, not German. I hope I can find a source in VA, because I'm down to my last bottle, and have to have more.

Grimbergen Optimo Bruno, 10% ABV but it sure doesn't taste like it. I'm not one to often refer to a beer as "complex" but this can take the place of a late night glass of scotch or brandy any time. If you like full-bodied, dark beers and can find it, I highly recommend this one. They have half a dozen other varieties, but this was by far the best.

Attachments

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
The picture on the left needs to have a "Bow Down!" banner flying above it or something. Very impossing. Cool bottles.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
It's worthy of worship.

I actually found a local beer and wine store that can get it, but at $7 a bottle (#$!$^&#!) with a minimum order of 6 and high shipping, it's not going to be a frequent purchase.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
narlus said:
in about 4 weeks i'll be in prague, so i'll be able to sample some. i hope they can match the high standard the belgians have.
Not going to happen, unless you're a huge fan of Bohemian Pilsners ;)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
If you like that beer, try Ommegang, Rar Vos, Affligem Double, or Delerium Tremmons.
The first two are brewed in the US but are belgain style. The rest are brewed in belgium. All of them though are nice dark "double" style beers

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
-BB- said:
If you like that beer, try Ommegang, Rar Vos, Affligem Double, or Delerium Tremmons.
The first two are brewed in the US but are belgain style. The rest are brewed in belgium. All of them though are nice dark "double" style beers
I'll look for those the next time I hit the beer and wine store. I'm limiting myself to 1-2 beers (or any alcohol) a week now in an effort to finally eliminate ye olde beergut, so I'm definitely going for quality over quantity.

llkoolkeg said:
http://www.kingdomofbeer.com/

Go to page #2 of "Abbey Beers" and it's the 7th down from the top.
Nice site, great selection. Unfortunately the $3.70 a bottle gets more expensive after $22.20 tax for 6 bottles. And shipping is a bit steep at $60. $%#!@!. I think I'll get a friend to mail me a few bottles from Germany.

That site also lists the Grimbergen Triple, which unlike the Optimo was very strong tasting and over-hopped, not my favorite but interesting. I haven't tried the Cuvée Ermitage.

I'm looking forward to sampling other abbey beers, as I'm just getting into this variety (feel like I've been missing out). But tonight a bottle of Arrogant Bastard will have to do. Not a brand I normally buy (cheesy reverse marketing annoys me), but it was on sale. Cheers.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
fonseca said:
I'm looking forward to sampling other abbey beers, as I'm just getting into this variety (feel like I've been missing out). But tonight a bottle of Arrogant Bastard will have to do. Not a brand I normally buy (cheesy reverse marketing annoys me), but it was on sale. Cheers.
Stone is guilty of cheesy reverse marketing, but they do brew good beer. That'll be a nice bottle to enjoy tonight. Just don't drink it too cold.

Ommegang is great and VERY reasonably priced...my favorite from them is the Hennepin. You might also want to check out Unibroue.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Silver said:
You might also want to check out Unibroue.
I picked up a 4-pack of Unibroue La Fin Du Monde the other day. Triple fermented. $9.

It was pretty good, although I think I would have liked one of the other three varieties they had better. I generally prefer not to be able to see through my beer. :) Nonetheless, it's decent.

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
hmmm... i'll look for it !

i really gotta dust off my kettle n make some beer again. i only did a couple batches many years ago, it wasn't that great, but it was loads of fun!

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
arsenic said:
hmmm... i'll look for it !

i really gotta dust off my kettle n make some beer again. i only did a couple batches many years ago, it wasn't that great, but it was loads of fun!
As soon as my current batch of blackberry wine is done, my homebrewing equipment is going in storage. I don't have the self control to abstain when I have yummy homebrew in the house.

Or any good beer for that matter. My 1-2 beer a week goal has been more like 4-5 a week. The last bottle of Uni is going down right now...

Attachments

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I've been sticking to a two beer per week ration. It's been tough...

Number two for this week: Unibroue Maudite. Suprisingly I liked the La Fin Du Monde more, perhaps because it was more bitter. This one is a little too mild even though it's called a strong ale, and it has a slightly sour/musky aftertaste.

Next week is a $9 pint of Affligem Double. I'm planning a meal around that one. Picked it up based on -BB-'s recommendation, and the reviews online make it look promising...I'm searching for a beer that is as good as the Grimbergen Optimo.

Attachments

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Silver said:
Try to get ahold of the Unibroue 2004 Edition if you can. It's very very nice.
I think my local specialty beer store had that. I'll pick a bottle up. I'm enjoying Unibroue overall; despite my nitpicking above it's excellent, worlds better than anything to be found in a supermarket.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
fonseca said:
I'm searching for a beer that is as good as the Grimbergen Optimo.
I haven't had the Optimo, but I looked up it's description, and based on that you might want to try some stuff from De Dolle. The Optimo is described as being pretty sweet, and the some of the sweetest Belgians I've had were from De Dolle.

Otherwise, in that category keep an eye open for Abbey de Rocs, St. Bernardus (I like the Prior 8 better than the Abt 12...some people dislike the yeast they use though), Westmalle (fantastic dubbel, expensive though), and if you can find them 2 of the best would be the Rochefort 10 and the Westvleteren Abt 12.

You'll probably have the most luck finding the St. Bernardus. Chimay is always a great option, and if you haven't tried Orval yet, give that a shot. It's a lower alcohol beer, but it's got some really unique and fantastic flavors and aromas.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
After getting stuck on Chimay and Unibroue 2004 Special for quite a few weeks, I have strayed from Belgium somewhat. Haven't seen any of the ones you mentioned Silver. I've been sampling brews by Dogfish. No definite favorite, but the Raison D'Etre is in the running for first.

A deep mahogany ale brewed with beet sugar, green raisins, and Belgian yeast. 8% ABV
Okay, so I didn't stray very far. :)

I've been missing out on so many good beers....it won't be easy to make up for lost time, but some how, some way, I shall persevere.

Attachments

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
quadricolour said:
Altbier? Were you in Duesseldorf? Fuechschen! :drool:
Nope, Leipzig and Weimar were as far south as I made it this time around. A good bit east of Duesseldorf, but still plenty of altbiers to be found for those willing to look.

The beerfest in Weimar didn't hurt either.

As the best man in a wedding last week, I did an excellent job providing a variety of delectible libations. A few growlers of locally-brewed scottish and golden ales, and plenty of Uni (Ignore that Mikes...some people just don't like real beer). We managed to kill the last few bottles after the rehearsal dinner. The Special 2004 really packs a punch. For me it was a sad occasion: one more riding buddy gets married and bites the dust. They're dropping like flies...

Attachments

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I located a 6-pack of Affligem Blonde over the weekend, and having just about finished the first one right now, I can say with 100% certainty that Belgian blondes are not for me. Give me a burnette--er, brown, any day.

It reminds me of the few Grimbergen blondes I tried, noticeable alcohol taste, somewhat bitter, and very yeasty-tasting. Definitely not the best beer I've ever had. In fact, I'm kicking myself, because it was 2x the cost of the Dogfish Raison D'Etre, which I highly recommend to those of you who enjoy Belgian style browns.

I also picked up a pint of Delerium Tremmons, first time I've seen it anywhere. I carry a list of beers to try with me, based mostly on -BB- and Silver's recommendations. If anyone has suggestions, please chime in.

Attachments

norco_nut

Chimp
Mar 26, 2002
Canada
You guys ever tried Polish beers? they are lighter but are pretty tasty too...

Zyweic (sp?) pronounced "je vee ettes"
Warka
Tyske

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've been drinking this for a couple of years now. It's still one of my favorites. Everything that's good about a Belgian ale, but brewed in Cooperstown, NY so it's only around $4.00

Attachments

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
BikeGeek said:
I've been drinking this for a couple of years now. It's still one of my favorites. Everything that's good about a Belgian ale, but brewed in Cooperstown, NY so it's only around $4.00
I always have a bottle of Hennepin from them hanging around. Great stuff.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Silver said:
I always have a bottle of Hennepin from them hanging around. Great stuff.
Holy crap! Have you had the Three Philosophers from Ommegang? I just read this:
"A rare international blend of dark and malty quadrupel from Ommegang, and cherry-infused lambic from Lindemans in Belgium. It is a masterful blend that is greater than the sum of its parts - a rich, ruby brew that weaves a port-like subtle fruit into a creamy elixir of chocolaty caramel effervescence."

:drool:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
My sister lives in Belgium, and will be visiting for Xmas... I just figured out what I'm going to ask her to bring me :D

Deyv is in good with the Unibroue people, and yes their beers are top notch :thumb:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
BikeGeek said:
Holy crap! Have you had the Three Philosophers from Ommegang? I just read this:
"A rare international blend of dark and malty quadrupel from Ommegang, and cherry-infused lambic from Lindemans in Belgium. It is a masterful blend that is greater than the sum of its parts - a rich, ruby brew that weaves a port-like subtle fruit into a creamy elixir of chocolaty caramel effervescence."

:drool:
It's good stuff. I happen to have a 750ml bottle aging as we speak. You can still find it at stores. Amazing mouthfeel.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah Ommegang is good...its kind of off the subject since its completely away from Belgian ales..but damn I love Black Douglas, very good scottish ale

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I haven't updated this thread recently, since I've been stuck on Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre for weeks. I've gone though 36 of them in the last month. This has to stop. It's just too good. Not Grimbergen double good, but so damned close I wouldn't mind the substitution.

Unfortunately, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale isn't the beer to break the cycle. It's certainly up to SN standards, but just doesn't do it for me. A little overhopped, not quite high enough ABV. I need belgian, baby! But I'll have to finish this sixer first. Waste not want not, eh?

This doesn't quite deserve the glass treatment.

BTW, I just bought a pint of Ommegang since several of you enjoy that, and the local beer store had it. That's next.

Attachments

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I don't think the 2004 Celebration is as good as last year. I kinda liked the hop blast it had...this one tastes a little more mellowed out.

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
-BB- said:
Delerium Tremmens. ..Will give you a Delerium in your head . That's for shure. I had them to..

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Well, this marks the last night of my life of excess, at least for the immediate future. Back to the one beer a week limit starting tomorrow. Of course, that one beer may just be a whole pint of Belgian goodness. But it's been more like 1+ a day since October. Evil stuff, beer is.

Especially Gouden Carolus Noel, a great Belgian Ale at a very low price, although that may not hold true outside of Virginia, since the importer is located in-state. $6.something for a big-arsed corked bottle. A touch too sweet for my tastes, but packed with layers of flavor and a pleasant alcohol burn in the throat. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 10% ABV. And yes, it is as dark as it looks in the first photo.

I drank my last beer brought back from Germany this evening too. A cherry Lambic, suprisingly dry, especially compared to other cherry Lambics I tried. And a Grimbergen Optimo Bruno. I'd forgotten how good it is; I still haven't found anything that compares. I hate to use food comparisons, but the honey-like aroma is amazing, the it has a definite sour-apple flavor, with just a slightly bitter aftertaste, and an extremely mild alcohol burn for a 10% beer. I would guess 6% if I didn't know better. Very complex. Nothing I have tried in the last six months comes close. The Dogfish Raison is nearly as good, although entirely different: very dry, less fruity.

Beer is good.

Attachments

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
Kriek Lambic is always a good choice. If yer thursty... and it is a hot summer.
Very tasty with the fruit flavor. Mort subite is a funny name for the " dead will follow shortly" if you will translate it. The Optimo Bruno i never had one of those. The first one looks as dark as coke. I really don;t like the dark beer.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Lefty said:
Mort subite is a funny name for the " dead will follow shortly" if you will translate it
The poeple who worked in the Mort Subite cafe in Belgium said it meant "Sudden Death".