Quantcast

The Best Computer Speakers

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I have a set of old Yamaha speakers on my computer (no sub) and want to upgrade. The Soundsticks look pretty killer, and I am leaning towards them, but of course, I can't live my life without Monkey input, so lemme know if anyone's running anything more better...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Most computer speakers are over priced BS.

Buy an ok bookshelf stereo and run it through that.

Costco has a decent $99 sub to throw on there.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I've wanted those for a while now...but I have to agree, I do think there's some overpriced bs going on, and I have my set of overpriced home stereo speakers right behind my desk anyway.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I agree with hater - altho i took it to the extreme.

I run my stuff through an optical connection into my 850wtt Sony home threatre setup in the office. It kicks the crap out of any "computer" system. Yeah for 200wtt subs!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stinkyboy said:
How do ya run a system through your computer? I have a Mac G4 tower at home with just a speaker and a headphone jack.
My sound card and mobo both have fully digital optical outs on them. I just run a fiber line into one of the optical ins on my system, and select that input...and voila.

Hooray for full DTS surround sound when playing games.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
stinkyboy said:
How do ya run a system through your computer? I have a Mac G4 tower at home with just a speaker and a headphone jack.
get a splitter that has a headphone jack on one side and the 2 RCA ends on the other end of the cable. Hook the computer from the headphone jack into one of the inputs on the back of your reciever.

I have that HK system you posted above, it works quite well, better than most computer sound systems, Harman Kardon makes some really quality speakers just like my Twin-Sub 17 Speaker HK system in my truck :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Curb Hucker said:
get a splitter that has a headphone jack on one side and the 2 RCA ends on the other end of the cable. Hook the computer from the headphone jack into one of the inputs on the back of your reciever.

I have that HK system you posted above, it works quite well, better than most computer sound systems, Harman Kardon makes some really quality speakers just like my Twin-Sub 17 Speaker HK system in my truck :D
:stupid:

Most sound output from a comp is an 1/8" stereo mini jack. A trip to Radio Shack will score you the splitter.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
H8R said:
:stupid:

Most sound output from a comp is an 1/8" stereo mini jack. A trip to Radio Shack will score you the splitter.
Yup I used to do that until i got my new mobo. Most newer motherboards are shipping with an optical out on them ro deliver 5.1 sound. mmmm

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i got some $100 Logitechs on sale, staying away from anything more than 2.1 because i really didn't want to bother with surround on a computer. i'll save that for the home entertainment center. if i want a more robust sound, i'll put on my headphones.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have been rocking the jbl creatures for over 2 years now, those little guys rock, i mean they are far from "the best" but they look cool and put out a killer sound!

:eek:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
As has been said, if you want quality sound, ditch the idea of using self-powered computer speakers. Even a halfway decent bookshelf stereo system with an auxiliary input on it will sound significantly better.

I bought a ~$250 RCA bookshelf system from Radio Shack with an Aux input, and just run the cable that Curb Hucker suggested into it - headphone jack on one side, dual RCAs on the other side. It's far from "The Best" but it sounds a lot nicer than a set of tinny or bass-heavy computer speakers - and just about all computer speakers are one or the other. Not only does it sound better, you can also use the outputs on whatever stereo you buy to record tapes, records, radio, microphone karaoke, or whatever into MP3 format.

Not to say you can't get a nice set of computer speakers, but if you're looking for "The Best", a high quality stereo system can't be beat.

edit: though if you're looking for something compact, a set of computer speakers is going to be the best choice.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Crazy Sweeper said:
I'm running a set of 500w klipcsh 5.1 speakers. Not the greatest, but pretty good and I like 'em
i ran the klipsch promedia 2.1 set for a few years and had great luck with them. i'd even dj our parties with that (easily carryable) setup + an ipod. they could fill up a 20x15' room pretty well -- nothing earthshaking but good, clean sound.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Try the Acoustic Energy AEGO system. They can be a bit pricey, but the SOUND is amazing. Do an e-bay search for Acoustic Energy and you'll see 'em. These are no joke better than most home speaker systems. In fact, you can ues 'em for a home system - which I have considered doing, but my room is too big. They do a 2 and a 5 speaker system. Both are excellent.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
As has been said, if you want quality sound, ditch the idea of using self-powered computer speakers. Even a halfway decent bookshelf stereo system with an auxiliary input on it will sound significantly better.

I bought a ~$250 RCA bookshelf system from Radio Shack with an Aux input, and just run the cable that Curb Hucker suggested into it - headphone jack on one side, dual RCAs on the other side. It's far from "The Best" but it sounds a lot nicer than a set of tinny or bass-heavy computer speakers - and just about all computer speakers are one or the other. Not only does it sound better, you can also use the outputs on whatever stereo you buy to record tapes, records, radio, microphone karaoke, or whatever into MP3 format.

Not to say you can't get a nice set of computer speakers, but if you're looking for "The Best", a high quality stereo system can't be beat.

edit: though if you're looking for something compact, a set of computer speakers is going to be the best choice.
Please see my earlier post with the links to the M-Audio self powered studio monitors.

The nice thing about pro-audio stuff is the cost to quality ratio is much better than consumer crap. Crappy speakers don't sell to any hobby or pro studio no matter what the cost.

$140 will get you a very nice sounding set of speakers. So much so you'll want to improve your mp3 library.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY

Bought these a little over a year ago and I frickin' love them.
Loud as all hell, I havn't even gone past 50% on the volume because by that point it's rediculous. Comes with a little baby remote which is great when I'm reading in bed or somthing and don't want to get up to turn it off. Sound it top notch, and finally the piano black is just gorgeous.
I think I paid about $100 for them, and I think it was well worth it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
H8R said:
Please see my earlier post with the links to the M-Audio self powered studio monitors.
Ah, yes, I saw those and even followed the link. I should have clarified that I meant, ditch the idea of using self-powered speakers targeted at the consumer computer market ;)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I just plug into my stereo with a 3.5mm stereo to RCA lead. $7 from Radio-RepublicanSupportingAsses-Shack.