Quantcast

The best cup of coffee you'll ever have.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So I was talked into one of these by the guy who runs my local Indy Coffee shop for my at home brew. I must admit I was skeptical, but it really is the most amazing coffee maker ever. It looks like a giant syringe, (irony?) and its made by the same company that made those ring Frisbee's that were popular 15 years ago, but don't knock it till you try it. I :cupidarrow:mine.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Not a french press, but a different style of a press. Cant se how it would be much different than any other type of press......Ill check it out here now and possibly ervise what I said

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Ha, I just went to the site.... it works just like a coffee dispensor does. You know those coffee machines you put fifty cents in, they drop a cup, coffee comes out. Same exact idea, doffee, hot water, then it gets pressed through a filter with air pressure.

Cant say it will be any better than any other press out there.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
It is different than a French press. A French press steeps the coffee grounds; this devise appears to force the hot water through the grounds. There is a big difference in the resulting flavor.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I previously used a french press and as much as I loved it the Aeropress is way better and is not the same, and is nothing like machine coffee :dead: Every French Press I've ever used you always would wind up with a very fine layer of bitter grounds/sludge at the bottom of your cup. The Aeropress paper filters are (i believe) two micron filters. The end result is nothing at the bottom of the cup, and a very different flavor. Serial Midget is correct about the way it works.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I previously used a french press and as much as I loved it the Aeropress is way better and is not the same, and is nothing like machine coffee :dead: Every French Press I've ever used you always would wind up with a very fine layer of bitter grounds/sludge at the bottom of your cup. The Aeropress paper filters are (i believe) two micron filters. The end result is nothing at the bottom of the cup, and a very different flavor. Serial Midget is correct about the way it works.
That's to help you poop.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
No, thats exactly how a coffee machins works.... Im not talking about the kinds that have the bags of coffee concentrate that mix with hot water, Im talking the ones that say fresh brewed coffee, and its just exacly that.... It was on How its made, pretty cool actually. Grinds coffee, drops coffe in on top of a filter, fills with hot water.... Piston comes down, and presses the water through it...........

Yeah your right baout the layer of sediment you get from a french press, most of that comes from using too fine of a grind....

I wont say it tastes bad, I wont say its not nice to have a really quick cup of coffee. But its really nothing special, I would love to try it though, if I were to be proven wrong about the taste......But Ill stick with my press for now

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
What consistency grounds do you need for this press?
excellent question

Oh and I have to agree with the truth... it does remind me of a bong my old roomate used...... I would get home from school, he would be running a load of water in the sink..... then there was that smell in the room.......Finally asked...... thats when I learned of a gravity bong

Binaural

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
Sydney Australia
Those Aeropresses are the duck's nuts. I bought one to use at work a while ago, and it took the place by storm. Mind you, this is in the UK, and the only place with worse coffee on average is probably the USA so the bar was set low.

The taste is definitely stronger per unit coffee too, which is a nice feature if you really like the strongest possible taste (which suits me). Fast and clean, and if you could easily froth milk I think I'd get rid of my home coffee machine. But I don't like espresso only all the time, so it stays. You won't regret getting one of those things, I rate mine as one of my biggest gadget successes ever.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Blue is right, a vac pot can make some damn fine coffee. Works really well with lightly roasted single origin beans.

None of it matters if your beans are **** or roasted to charcoal status though...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Blue is right, a vac pot can make some damn fine coffee. Works really well with lightly roasted single origin beans.

None of it matters if your beans are **** or roasted to charcoal status though...
Very true.... all good coffee starts with.... well a good bean witha good roast.

I think thats what gets me about most people home ground coffee, most are using a blade type grinder.... which is inconsistant, and has a tendancy to burn as it chops.

You can good, get a conical grinder.... consistant, slowgrinding..... costs alot more though, but much better quality flavor will come from it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think you guys put too much work/thought into a simple cup of coffee.

Folgers + Coffee Pot = Im awake.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I was just reading the comparissions on the website..... It reads a french press cannot make a latte, and cannot make expresso, ok Ill give them that, you cant make proper expresso....... but one thing they are hammering on is cleaning...........They describe the aeropress as a 10 second job, and the French press as "quite the chore"

I dont know about you, but my french press takes about ten second to rinse out after I make coffee............The other plusses the are listing is the ability to make a single cup that tastes proper... I can do that with my press as well too.......

I think its cool, what I like about my FP over this is the lack of having to use filters...... I would probably go ahead and order ont of these if it wasnt for having a proproetary filter.........That just kills it for me, doesnt list anywere near me to buy, so what do I do when I run out..... My FP delivers great coffee... Ten times better than any drip system. Hell it even makes folgers tollerable...........

OOh BS, FOglers in a drip coffee equals so nasty you have no choice but to wake up from the shear shock of crappy dirt water with no real substance to it

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I was just reading the comparissions on the website..... It reads a french press cannot make a latte, and cannot make expresso, ok Ill give them that, you cant make proper expresso....... but one thing they are hammering on is cleaning...........They describe the aeropress as a 10 second job, and the French press as "quite the chore"

I dont know about you, but my french press takes about ten second to rinse out after I make coffee............The other plusses the are listing is the ability to make a single cup that tastes proper... I can do that with my press as well too.......

I think its cool, what I like about my FP over this is the lack of having to use filters...... I would probably go ahead and order ont of these if it wasnt for having a proproetary filter.........That just kills it for me, doesnt list anywere near me to buy, so what do I do when I run out..... My FP delivers great coffee... Ten times better than any drip system. Hell it even makes folgers tollerable...........

OOh BS, FOglers in a drip coffee equals so nasty you have no choice but to wake up from the shear shock of crappy dirt water with no real substance to it
Damnit, dirty, it's espresso, not expresso! I can't stand when people just throw an X in there saying it.

I use a French Press also as well as an espresso maker that I got for Christmas. I'd like to try one of those things.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Damnit, dirty, it's espresso, not expresso! I can't stand when people just throw an X in there saying it.

I use a French Press also as well as an espresso maker that I got for Christmas. I'd like to try one of those things.
Espresso sounds gay though, I use the 'Merican way of saying it damnit....

Just like how we tooka Croissant, and turned itn into a croissandwich