Quantcast

The best cup of coffee you'll ever have.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Nope, I actually feel bad about almost jacking his user name. I did not know there was a 4xBoy or I would have chose something else. I just dig 4x and dh but DhGirl did not work as well. I am new here just stumbled across the site and some of the topics are pretty chill so I joined.
Anyhow, sorry for the confusion!
It's all good.:headbang:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Our original press lives on, although the upper "collar" that you push down on broke off some time ago. Were probably down to about 25% of the original pack of filters. I figure when those finally run out we'll go ahead and buy a new one.
ah you know dude... after you pressed a cup out for my buddy and I that morning, I went out and bought one. Good stuff! thanks for the heads up

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I'm glad I found this thread. A couple weeks ago we had a bunch of people over for brunch, as I get ready to make a second pot of coffee in our run of the mill Mr.Coffee coffee pot I hear a "pop" as I hit the start button and coffee time was over. I only had the maker for about a year and a half and probably spent fifty or sixty bucks on the plastic POS.
I went searching for the simplest, no electronics coffee maker out there and was actually looking at some real old school Corningware stove top percolators and some cowboy style/life on the range tin ones. I got looking at one of my favorite dealers of all things simple...
http://www.lehmans.com/store/catalog?Args=

Where I found this...
http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?MD=1&GID=3&LID=542&CHK=&SLT=&mscssid=0K9BUC91GRLA9PJT1XJ42460X9PKFESA

Wow...this thing has changed coffee for us! It took a few times using it to get it dialed in, but the end result is a very clean cup of coffee with no bitterness no matter how strong you like it. No filters, nothing to plug in and all parts are available through Bodum in case of a mishap.

I've had more people show up at my house lately just to make them some coffee and to watch this little piece of science work.

I know some are going to chime in about the amount of work and effort some of us put into something as trivial as coffee. I do this for everything, not just coffee. I put extra time and effort into everything I'm involved in and the crowds that fill my kitchen on any weekend to partake in the madness that is my quest for better everything make it worth it.

When you take that first sip and you unconsciously say "mmmm" ....it was worth the effort.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I've always wanted a vacuum pot. Mostly for the aesthetic value, but I agree with the sentiment that certain things deserve and are made greater by the ritual and extra time that they may take. When I make a cup of coffee, which isn't often anymore, I enjoy the ritual almost as much as the finished product.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
What about DHGirlie2? :D

Nope, I actually feel bad about almost jacking his user name. I did not know there was a 4xBoy or I would have chose something else. I just dig 4x and dh but DhGirl did not work as well. I am new here just stumbled across the site and some of the topics are pretty chill so I joined.
Anyhow, sorry for the confusion!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So, just for giggles I picked one of these up. First things first, they do not make espresso. The word has a fvcking definition, and just because you made a coffee maker that looks like a Swedish penis enlarger doesn't mean you get to redefine the goddamn word.

Having said that, I have a new go-to travel buddy. I'd say it's comparable to vac pot coffee, but without the whole inconvenient breaking glass issue. I'll probably use it during the day when I want a full warm cup of coffee too, it's better than an americano brewed out of my machine, imo.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
my problem with our press is that a full pot is not enought for the two of us. i guess we need a bigger one.

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
I have given up on finding good local espresso. I got used to at least a cup of espresso after every meal when I spent 6 weeks in Italy. I came home expecting the worse and was hit pretty hard with some baddd coffee. I went through a really terrible phase of depression and withdrawls for a while.

Now I find comfort with a simple stove top Bialetti and coffee sent to me from Italy every now and then. I'm still trying to find an equivalent or even close to an equivalent bean that I can buy here in Santa Cruz though. There are a lot of roasting companies here but nothing I have tried has come close.

God, I am so pretentious.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
My aerobee has died the plastic is cracked enough that it doesn't work anymore, I see they have changed the material that they make it with, maybe someday I will get another.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Bump to ask, for those with an Aeropress, how much water comes out of it during the brewing process?

Mine seems to leak a lot of water while I'm pouring it over the grounds and stirring. I haven't been using it frequently but I don't remember it doing this before. I thought most of the water used to stay in the press until I actually plunged it out.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Bump to ask, for those with an Aeropress, how much water comes out of it during the brewing process?

Mine seems to leak a lot of water while I'm pouring it over the grounds and stirring. I haven't been using it frequently but I don't remember it doing this before. I thought most of the water used to stay in the press until I actually plunged it out.
How fine is your grind?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Didn't even think about that. Right now I'm using a fairly coarse grind from a bag someone bought me. Must be the reason :thumb:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
My friends and I used the Aeropress on our most recent trip to Scotland. Anytime we reached a new abandoned castle we would make a cup. Best cup of coffee.

I will be bringing my Aeropress and full travel setup on all of next years bike trips.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The WW2 way:

We used cylindrical cans with holes poked through the sides just above the bottom; strips of bark from birch trees were thrown in and kindled while chips of birchwood kept the fire burning, steadily and almost smokeless; it was sufficient to provide us with a warm drink.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I recently grown more fond of aeropress after learning that for some reason the sumatra they offer around here tastes like crap but if you go with etiopia it is quite tasty, even if not as reach as a chemex sumatra. Still in the weekeng I'm going to buy myself a new chemex set.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis

Rethink the fill method.

Put plunger slightly in the top and set upside down, pour grounds in, stir, wait, screw filter on flip upside right, press away.

I would post pics and stuff, but you claim to be smrt.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Rethink the fill method.

Put plunger slightly in the top and set upside down, pour grounds in, stir, wait, screw filter on flip upside right, press away.

I would post pics and stuff, but you claim to be smrt.
This. You do not add water to the grind with the press right side up, i.e. the filter already in and pointing down. You brew upside down for 1 1/2 minutes or so, put on filter and cap, flip onto coffee cup, and press away.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Just got one of these for my wife for her b-day. We'd been using a French press, but our daughter managed to break it. So we started just boiling the grinds cowboy-style and straining it into a cup. Obviously we're no connoisseurs...

Seems good and simple enough, easy to take along anywhere for sure. Tasty coffee, much stronger than we're used to these days. Nice to have something without grit in it. Metal filter should be showing up soon in the mail, but I think I like the paper filter eject process...like a coffee-puck cannon.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
My own coffee rig is a La San Marco 95 with a Mini Mazzer (I'll get a bigger grinder in a few months)

one of these things.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/La-San-Marco-2-Group-95-22-Espresso-Machine-/350326791529

This is it in the corner of my bike shop before I started setting it up properly
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=575103995849124&set=a.464802556879269.126249.425656524127206&type=1&theater

But the best coffee is cold drip, best to set it up the night before as it takes ages but WOW!!!!!
Being cold it's not drawing thru the oils, the flavour is amazing!

yesimaddicted

Monkey
Apr 28, 2007
centeral Euroland via CA
hot damn, i though that was your private machine at first!

i am getting into the coffee game here in german because i dont have my beer brewing supplies and coffee brew supplies is much cheaper. got a moko and have been playing around with that. I really miss a good cup of french press though. thinking about this areopress biznas...should i try that out or go back to frenchpress?