Quantcast

The Best NFL Player of All Time (haters need not post)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Brian HCM#1 said:
I think it's hard to pinpoint the "All time best player" It's easier to do it by position. The game has definatly evolved, players are WAY bigger and WAY faster.
I agree. For instance, put Urlacher in the place of Butkus back then and it wouldnt even be a comparison, but its just about dominating their opposition WHEN they played.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DRB said:
Then Jim Brown has got to be the guy.
There certainly is an argument to be made. I would say that Butkus, who simply scared the crap out of, and hurt his opponents is right up there too.

Brian HCM#1 said:
I think it's hard to pinpoint the "All time best player"
I agree also. That's what the Hall of Fame is for, and to me, that's good enough - a handful of top players out of the thousands who were good enough to even play in the NFL in the first place. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to meet and associate with many HOF'ers, and it was incredibly inspiring to be in the company of true champions.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
BurlyShirley said:
There certainly is an argument to be made. I would say that Butkus, who simply scared the crap out of, and hurt his opponents is right up there too.
I love that story (I believe it was about him) getting pissed at a rookie who was celebrating after making a play... and Butkus came out of nowhere and cleaned that guys clock... kinda a welcome to the NFL Mother Fvcker!!! where is he today with A-holes like TO? that is what we need is more guys getting their clocks cleaned for excessive celebration!!! not a stinkin flag!!!

details may be a little fuzzy about Butkus... but I think I am mostly correct... if not some one will correct it...

PS... JIM BROWN...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BurlyShirley said:
Look at Bill Romanowski, that guy was F'n psycho, and a hell of a ball player. I think I'd rather be hit by Urlacher than Romo:eek:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Brian HCM#1 said:
Look at Bill Romanowski, that guy was F'n psycho, and a hell of a ball player. I think I'd rather be hit by Urlacher than Romo:eek:
Roid Raged retards dont count. In fact, Romanowski was only a slightly better than average LB anyway. The only time he hurt people was with cheap shots. **** that guy.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
As a kid having a friend who loved the 49ers I got to watch alot of games I think otherwise I'd never have seen. Watching Montana and Rice was amazing. Hell even when I see replays of old superbowls on ESPN with them in it it makes you remember how great the players of the 80's were. They wern't the most "flashy" but they would spank any team now days. They had such balanced defense and offenses.

But as a WR fan I think Rice is at the top. You think of how many things he has set in the NFL, how many current WR's would "like" to be like Rice. He is the role model for WR's. Sorta like Jordan in Basketball. When you were playing football as a kid you always wanted to be like Jerry Rice.

There's lots of great QB's. That one many can argue. Montana was great, as well as lots of others but that is a hard debate. The QB position is so looked at that if you have a flaw they'll find it. No one looks at many of the other positions. Some defense and offense but QB's get it the worst. But at the same time they are the one's calling plays, so they have to take some heat for they're screwups.

I loved watching Walter Payton run (again on highlight/game replays). Barry Sanders was also great to watch. It sucked for him to have the Lions as his team but he could produce very good numbers for having not a lot of "talent" around him. Again though, too many good one's to name.

The new age players are all about the $$$. I watch less and less football because there's nothting great to watch. I know that this year's draft/season will be a good one with so many players of quality comming into the league. Plus alot of teams lost their star players which will be interesting to see what happens. It's about time that the tides change and we get to see some of the teams that aren't in the playoffs or superbowls each year.