Quantcast

The best of the big MFG's

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:
I understand the implication, I'm pointing out that there is more than one way to define "custom". You can have "custom sized", you can have "custom tubed", you can have "custom spec'd".

Monocoque isn't quite the same thing, since it's just a stamped mold out of a stock aluminum type and thickness. All frames have tubing and machined parts that are "made" just for the frame, but it's quite different when you custom design a butting profile, wall thickness and tube diameter that's never been done before for a specific bike.

I'm not saying Evil should be designated a "custom bike" company, just demonstrating that there are different ways to define custom, and while Titus may excel in one aspect, there may be another aspect that they fall short in.
The dies in a stamping process can alter the thickness of a piece of aluminium.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
I echo the thoughts on Haro. I would also consider Iron Horse a big builder I would consider.

I have had, and have again, some Giants. The quality always seems pretty nice to me.

Specialized has their stuff together as well. I am pretty sure they will be a very strong contender in a couple of years when I am in the market. They are good at mountain, road and bmx. There warranty sounds incredible, as does Giant's.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
binary visions said:
All frames have tubing and machined parts that are "made" just for the frame, but it's quite different when you custom design a butting profile, wall thickness and tube diameter that's never been done before for a specific bike.
I would say that it's done for just about every bike, actually. Granted, maybe not by a second party (like Easton or Columbus), but you cant tell me Spec. doesnt use specific tube diameters, butting and thickness for differnet models. What am I missing here? Honestly not trying to be a smartass, but I dont understand the distinction you're making. An S-works bike has alot more "custom" butting work than a hardrock or something, no?

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
BurlyShirley said:
I would say that it's done for just about every bike, actually. Granted, maybe not by a second party (like Easton or Columbus), but you cant tell me Spec. doesnt use specific tube diameters, butting and thickness for differnet models. What am I missing here? Honestly not trying to be a smartass, but I dont understand the distinction you're making. An S-works bike has alot more "custom" butting work than a hardrock or something, no?
If you work at a Spec shop, they put out a pretty cool marketing piece on FACT carbon technology. It's fairly interesting stuff. Has comparisons to other MFGs as well.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Of course an S-works frame is getting a different butting profile from, say, a Hardrock frame.

Most of these companies aren't drawing their own tubing, though. They're buying off-the-shelf tubing from Easton or other companies that specialize in that type of manufacturing. So when you talk about high end Easton tubing, the company is buying these off-the-shelf (existing) tubes from Easton and cutting and manipulating them to their liking. Some tubes will be special and have specs given to Easton, but a lot will be generic and are available for any frame manufacturer. The second consideration, of course, is that the frames are generally used across a model line and the price changes between models are strictly from component spec.

In order to produce this Reynold's tubing, an entirely new set of tooling must be done up to produce it. Nothing is "off the shelf".

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Fair enough, but I still say that the monocoques spec, foes, etc. produce would qualify for the same "custom" title under your definition. I mean, they are specific to only ONE frame, are engineered to a specific thickness, etc.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep, I see what you're saying. It's a little hazy, for sure. Not really the point I was trying to make, but a fine sidebar ;)