Quantcast

The best thing since sliced break

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
i heard a short peice about it on the news recently not that long ago, it was very short on detail though.
i also would have thought it would have been plastered all over the news, sounds like a massive breakthrough.
maybe they are trying to keep it low key just now.
if i recall correctly i think they did mention that this treatment was about 5-7years off at least, but i could be wrong.

J

JRB

So will it work on us if we need it??? If so, that is the best thing since sliced "break".

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Skookum said:
it's still not REALLY a cure though. Great news but still.....
yup, NOT A CURE. first off, it's a therapeutic vaccine, used on people who already have HIV. this is necessary in part because "The vaccine is made from a patient's own dendritic cells and HIV isolated from the patient's own blood".

in essence it's only good news for those who are HIV+, and for whom the current anti-retroviral drug regimen isn't working. this is a small number of people. furthermore, since it's a one off made for each patient it has little to no widespread applicability, especially since hiv mutates so fast and often (meaning that one person's kind of hiv will be different from that of the next). finally, 90% reduction in virus load is still far from 100%, and iirc is not as good as what the anti-retrovirals do for most people on them.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Toshi said:
furthermore, since it's a one off made for each patient it has little to no widespread applicability, especially since hiv mutates so fast and often (meaning that one person's kind of hiv will be different from that of the next). finally, 90% reduction in virus load is still far from 100%, and iirc is not as good as what the anti-retrovirals do for most people on them.
That's what I was hearing on the radio yesterday. I know very little about HIV, but in my narrow view this represents great progress in our understanding of how to help bodies deal with the virus. Hopefully it might lead to other breakthroughs.

J

JRB

priceseliger14 said:
i ment bread
Surely you don't expect a break when you can't spell meant. If this is always going to be the case, yes some us will always ruin your fun. That wasn't really fun news though. I can see it being very useful to people with HIV, but would never have called it fun. :think: