Quantcast

The big fat movie thread

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So I went to see Tenet. Twice.

Other movies in upcoming months that'll inspire me to get out to my local AMC instead of hanging around home:

- Black Widow
- No Time To Die
- Wonder Woman 1984
- Akira 4K (!!!)
- The Empire Strikes Back 40th Anniversary

In a non-COVID year I'd go and see a lot more crap late ate night just because, but I'm being more picky since the risk is low but non-0.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i'm hoping to see no time to die in a theatre but i do not see the nc governor moving that process along anytime soon....

dune....might be my next audible purchase...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
and WB is dumping all its 21 movies on hbo max the same day they are released in the movie theatre.....

buy a cheap 75 inch tv for dune or see at the movies?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
and WB is dumping all its 21 movies on hbo max the same day they are released in the movie theatre.....

buy a cheap 75 inch tv for dune or see at the movies?
I'd see at the movies. Movies like Dune seen on a TV don't work the same way. Tried to watch Dunkirk at home and it was not enjoyable.

Imho the whole move is AT&T pushing them but I've seen industry insiders saying it's not the death of Film but the Death of Warner as a Tier 1 Cinema Player. When cinemas reopen they will prioritize every other distributor over them. Warner will then claim they are right they did it since they are not earning as much from cinemas. It's a bit moronic since Disney has proved Cinemas are still HUGELY profitable. (Their Yearly returns on movies were in the 20% range ffs. Who gets that high on spending 400 milion?)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I watched Borat 2 today. I was laughing and cringing and shaking my head. Funny and uncomfortable. I liked it better than the first one, and I liked the first one. I was wondering how they'd get around the fact that the Borat character is widely known now, and now that seems so simple....the character wearing disguises!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Watched The Prestige over last night and tonight as we start to work through Christopher Nolan's works via 4K box set. Wow. That was amazing.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Watched The Prestige over last night and tonight as we start to work through Christopher Nolan's works via 4K box set. Wow. That was amazing.
i forgot he did that movie...saw it when it came out in the theatre....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Watched News of the World earlier this week, so, so. Ending faded versus the rest of the film though imo.

For something mindless later this year and hopefully better than the last one:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I watched Birds of Prey during my last two bike workouts. Why do I keep giving DC movies a chance? It's like they are trying way too hard. I can't watch another movie in this Suicide Squad series because after two of them Margot Robbie's New York accent feels like a knife being jammed into my ear.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Watched News of the World earlier this week, so, so. Ending faded versus the rest of the film though imo.

For something mindless later this year and hopefully better than the last one:

I liked Godzilla King of the Monsters. I am easily entertained though. I watched Kong Skull Island the other day because I hadn't seen that and wanted to catch up before Godzilla vs Kong comes out and I didn't want to be completely lost. :monkey:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
"Nobody"

Watched last night, wife and I both enjoyed it. Doc Brown was pretty good :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Watched Shang Chi on a Dolby Cinema screen tonight. Good crowd present.

I liked it. It was not the same old formula. It was Asian. It was lovely to look at. And the fights were refreshingly non-mechanical in both senses. Approve.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Been waiting for this for a while.

Aside from the cinematography and technicals I wont get my hopes up.

Being a film major I am interested to see the unique compositions and framing they used with the camera choices inside the cockpit and outside on the airframes. This work is essentially the first of its kind. I have a feeling it will be the saving grace for the storyline.