Quantcast

The big fat movie thread

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
We have a music thread and a big book thread so lets start a movie recomendation one.

I will start with a few

13 assassins - best samurai movie from the last 20 years. Made like the classics but with better production value and some of that Takeshi Miike crazyness added.

Troll Hunter - basicly a blair witch project type pseudocumentary about a guy who hunts trolls for the norwegian government. It is really awesome an orginal.

Rare exports - santa is bad and wants to eat your children.

Hesher - for some reason I dont like Joseph Gordon Levitt but his character here is pure gold.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Last edited:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Looking forward to this one:

Saw this one a few months ago. Wish it would come out on BluRay though.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I need to watch 13 assassins.

For home viewing (especially with my setup) Sucker Punch is bad ass. The first fight sequence with the soundtrack is incredible. Maybe I just love this song.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The soundtrack was good but the cgi scenes direction was horrible. It all felt very unreal and had no immersion. Very artificial feeling for me. I liked 300 but here he just went overboard. The girl in the cgi scene seems invincible so it is hard to root for her. I had great hopes and being raised on video games it should be a movie for me but somehow I felt a cinema with a sour taste in my mouth.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Is there a release date for dvd yet? Stupid subtitles. I love watching him drive, damn.
October 10th in the UK but no US release date yet
theyll be making a announcement soon they said but if its like the movie, it could be a while.:think:
itll still be in subtitles though. i dont think id want to watch the movie with someone else's voice dubbed over his.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
October 10th in the UK but no US release date yet
theyll be making a announcement soon they said but if its like the movie, it could be a while.:think:
itll still be in subtitles though. i dont think id want to watch the movie with someone else's voice dubbed over his.
Just get it from the uk amazon or ebay and you have no problems with release dates. I do that will a lot of stuff here.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
"Vahalla Rising"

A rousing viking musical, replete with buxom showgirls, longship swashbucking, plus the occassional gratitious disembowelment and bizarre acid trip.

I <3 Mads Mikkelsen

And for even more Scandinavian hijinks, check out "Dead Snow" (<-- best enjoyed with a copious amount of Jager)

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
except itll more than likely be in PAL and not NTSC
I paid to see it in theaters and will of course buy the DVD/Blu-ray when it comes to the states; but FYI, I also got a 1080p version from a torrent if you don't need something for your physical collection. The torrent file had the US theatrical release as well as the Brazilian release with like 30 extra minutes of footage. Quality is top notch too. The longer version is like 3.8GB.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
except itll more than likely be in PAL and not NTSC
I thought we have that behind us. Plug a laptop to your pc or connect it via dlna and you should have no problems. I'm really thinking of setting up a special media server in my flat for that purpose. Still there are dvd/blu ray players that play both if the beer is not clouding my memory.

"Vahalla Rising"

A rousing viking musical, replete with buxom showgirls, longship swashbucking, plus the occassional gratitious disembowelment and bizarre acid trip.
Refn is an awesome director too. His new movie drive should hit the theaters soon. Also try Pusher and Bronson. In Pusher you also get to see your favourite sexy one eye ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I know it's a bit fancy shmancy but I loved the new Allen movie. Usually I have mixed feelings about allen movies but that is mostly because I hate him as an actor (well his old movies were good) and the topic of his sexual frustrations is a bit old.
Midnight paris on the other hand is a great tale. It felt a bit like reading a fantasy book when I was young. It is also very funny and kinda works for everyone. We went to see it as a big group with some of the more simple bike friends and even they liked it. That plus Marion is amazing in that movie and she usually makes me uneasy.

http://youtu.be/atLg2wQQxvU

I'm still on the fence with the new Almodovar movie. I liked it but it felt like it ended to fast for me hence I didn't feel the immersion or the connection with the characters for the last 20-30mins of the movie. Still worth to see.

http://youtu.be/EolQSTTTpI4

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
looks like The Transporter with a different actor
The trailer makes it look like it. Refn got the best director awards at Cannes this year and Gosling is the go to actor right now if you think about more ambitious cinema. Haven't seen drive yet but from the hype I gather it is better than that god awfull Statham movie.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Regarding SuckerPunch

I had great hopes and being raised on video games it should be a movie for me but somehow I felt a cinema with a sour taste in my mouth.
I wanted to like this movie, but I got up and started doing dishes about half way through. The dishes were much more entertaining.
:rolleyes:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ok... Here are some that I really like. Most of them are not very recent, but who cares.

Delicatessen (and if you like this one, City of Lost Children)
Jacob's ladder

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Ok... Here are some that I really like. Most of them are not very recent, but who cares.

Delicatessen (and if you like this one, City of Lost Children)
Jacob's ladder
I'm yet to see City of the lost children. Love Delicatessen. Jacob's ladder is also an awesome movie.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
New job means a bit less time to see movies but friends forced me to watch Paranormal Activity 3. The scares are good and it's nice people remember horror cinema abc's but there was no plot. The only thing I've learned from the movie is that being evil makes you store old thin people in a shed.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Just seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and it is an amazing movie. I left the cinema really full and it a perfect example of realistic genre cinema. Oldman is a strong oscar contedner imho.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
^^

This. Just saw the trailer this morning, and agree 100%. Anybody seen Outrage yet (Yakuza flick)?
Seen it one year ago on a local film fest. Not action heavy but very climatic and well made. Oldschool Kitano is back. Well recomended if you are not into hong kong action style but rather a thriller type mob movie.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Some movie warnings

1. Do not watch in time. The camera is often out of focus, the acting is non existant, dialog is full of stupid likes like - how can you steal something that is stolen. Also in the future where when you run out of money you die banks in poor districts have ZERO security. Though what killed the movie for me where the exhausts and muffles on electic cars (well that and Justin).

2. Do not watch rise of the planets of the apes (that bore you to death). It basicly dumbens the orginal, has silly plotholes and is overall very preachy and cheap at the same time. Also watching monkeys jump around gets booring really fast.

3. Rampart - marketed as a hardcore version of Training day is really a droolfest with no cohesive script or plot. Woody is good as allways but he cant save a film.

Also Moneyball is quite good. Not awesome but an enjoyable watch. Pitt is a bit on autopilot.

Ides of March is again preachy but entertaining though nowhere near as good or revealing as the people make it to be (well unless you are more naive than a 4 year old).

Also in 2 days apple.com/trailers will have a full trailer of Prometheus (spiritual prequel to Alien made by Ridley Scott). Im really hyped.

Also there is a new Dark knight trailer. Im not really convinced but I still trust Nolan:
http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/the-dark-knight-rises/trailer

Last edited:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Some movie warnings

1. Do not watch in time. The camera is often out of focus, the acting is non existant, dialog is full of stupid likes like - how can you steal something that is stolen. Also in the future where when you run out of money you die banks in poor districts have ZERO security. Though what killed the movie for me where the exhausts and muffles on electic cars (well that and Justin).

2. Do not watch rise of the planets of the apes (that bore you to death). It basicly dumbens the orginal, has silly plotholes and is overall very preachy and cheap at the same time. Also watching monkeys jump around gets booring really fast.

3. Rampart - marketed as a hardcore version of Training day is really a droolfest with no cohesive script or plot. Woody is good as allways but he cant save a film.

Also Moneyball is quite good. Not awesome but an enjoyable watch. Pitt is a bit on autopilot.

Ides of March is again preachy but entertaining though nowhere near as good or revealing as the people make it to be (well unless you are more naive than a 4 year old).

Also in 2 days apple.com/trailers will have a full trailer of Prometheus (spiritual prequel to Alien made by Ridley Scott). Im really hyped.

Also there is a new Dark knight trailer. Im not really convinced but I still trust Nolan:
http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/the-dark-knight-rises/trailer
Agree 100% on the planet of the apes. Way to may plot holes to let go of.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
what the fvck is up with tinker tailor soldier spy not getting a national release yet in the states?