Quantcast

The big S crashes the 10 speed party

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
all this 10 speed sh!t makes me sick........totally useless on a Mtn bike. 8 speeds was great, and 9 speeds has been good for the past few years. Where does it end????

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Longing for the day when bikes come spec'd with 1 X 10.....much simpler, ez to maintain, cheaper, cleaner, longer drivetrain life.....still plenty of gearing.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm starting to think the bigger companies push some of the products to piss some people on the forums off ;) I dig it that shimano isn't that much behind sram in some cases. They should react faster.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
on the other thread, I've allowed myself to be convinced that 10sp *could* be better. But I agree with Cant Climb, I would rather see it 1x10 than 3x10. For the riding I do around here anyways. I think that with a 11-36 cogset and a 32 front ring, I wouldn't need a granny. And I haven't used a large ring in over a decade.... no front derailleur? sweet.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I don't really get why Shimano is pushing 3 x 10, even when I had a 44T big chainring I don't think I ever used it on the trails(used to use on the road riding to the trails)..

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
on the other thread, I've allowed myself to be convinced that 10sp *could* be better. But I agree with Cant Climb, I would rather see it 1x10 than 3x10. For the riding I do around here anyways. I think that with a 11-36 cogset and a 32 front ring, I wouldn't need a granny. And I haven't used a large ring in over a decade.... no front derailleur? sweet.

Yep, that is what I am waiting on as well. As soon as there is a good lightweight, halfway affordable 11-36t cassette, then I am switching.
80% of my riding is on my trailbike, and right now I am running 1x9 with a 34t front with an 11-34t cassette. Its made me stronger pushing that gearing up long climbs, but I would be faster spinning with a couple of more gears. I have no desire to ever go back to multiple rings up front.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
11/36 rear would definently cover a range of pedaling for us big bikes.... I barely use the 34 but when I need it its good to have and slap a 36 rear up the front to a 36 again and have a good climbing gear at one end and a faster gear at the other than currntly.
COuld be good if the chains hold up and dont gettoo skinny...

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I sorta understand thier reasoning for keeping three up front, but I think they missed the boat on this one. Sram (aren't they now the Big S?) has taken the right approach IMO.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The assymetrical chain is worth noting. I've got a bad knee and don't look forward to any day there isn't a granny ring on my bike. I've got a 24/36 bash combo coming for my trail bike and that should be all I'll ever need.

Now if I lived out West and had some fire roading to do, I'd be all about some 44 tooth.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Anyone else feel that drivetrain technology has seriously plateaued in the last couple of years? Maybe I'm just getting old and cynical, but a few years ago I used to think there was a genuine benefit in having the latest and greatest. Now it just seems like companies are trying to force the new stuff on us for the sake of it.

Some things that would get me excited about drivetrains again:

1) A shadow SLX rear deraileur with a short cage. Seriously. How hard is this?

2) A reasonably lightweight gearbox, that minimises the number of proprietary components such that parts and spares are relatively easy to perform in the field.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'll probably rock the 11-36 cassette on my trail bike w/ a 35t ring...currently have an 11-32 and could use the extra gears at this point, but I don't want to go to a front derailleur quite yet.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I'll probably rock the 11-36 cassette on my trail bike w/ a 35t ring...currently have an 11-32 and could use the extra gears at this point, but I don't want to go to a front derailleur quite yet.
i thought there already was an 11-36 nine speed shimano cassette... "29 er specific" as I recall. :D

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Yes Shimano hasn't but 4 chainrings has been arround for years.
Well, you know what they say, "you learn something new everyday". Never seen that before. I am digging the reflector on the pedal:thumb:

What is going on w/that crank arm? Looks like there is a custom piece mounted to allow for different pedal placements? Also, a secondary drive train? I am guessing this is a tandem bike.....so, four rings really isn't/hasn't been a standard for Mt. Bikes, right?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Well, you know what they say, "you learn something new everyday". Never seen that before. I am digging the reflector on the pedal:thumb:

What is going on w/that crank arm? Looks like there is a custom piece mounted to allow for different pedal placements? Also, a secondary drive train? I am guessing this is a tandem bike.....so, four rings really isn't/hasn't been a standard for Mt. Bikes, right?
That's a tandem. Touring tandems need a huge range of gears.
The funky cranks are adapters so you kid can be the stoker. They make the cranks super short but allow some adjustment as they grow.

edit - 10sp is F'en lame and I won't waste my money on it.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
Yep, that is what I am waiting on as well. As soon as there is a good lightweight, halfway affordable 11-36t cassette, then I am switching.
80% of my riding is on my trailbike, and right now I am running 1x9 with a 34t front with an 11-34t cassette. Its made me stronger pushing that gearing up long climbs, but I would be faster spinning with a couple of more gears. I have no desire to ever go back to multiple rings up front.
Same exact thing for me. I recently switched to 1 ring up front on my trail bike and love it. I think a 32 tooth ring up front with an 11-36 in back would be just right.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I'm right there with you. I have a 33t with E.13 XCX and 11-34 cassette on my trail bike and it certainly has made me a stronger rider but there have been a few times I wish I had 1 more gear so I could sit and spin rather than sh!tting my lungs out.

I'm embracing 10 speed :shocked:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I think they missed the boat personally. SRAM made 10spd viable by cutting the granny ring and offering a larger cassette - i.e precise double front shifting and a gear spread that actually makes sense. This doesn't really make any sense to me, you still have to put up with the sh*ttyness of a triple. They could have just made a 9spd 36T cassette and saved themselves the trouble. 3x10 barely exists in the road market it sucks to bad, why would they push it for MTBing?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I think they missed the boat personally. SRAM made 10spd viable by cutting the granny ring and offering a larger cassette - i.e precise double front shifting and a gear spread that actually makes sense. This doesn't really make any sense to me, you still have to put up with the sh*ttyness of a triple. They could have just made a 9spd 36T cassette and saved themselves the trouble. 3x10 barely exists in the road market it sucks to bad, why would they push it for MTBing?
I agree. When I said I would embrace 10 speed I was talking about Sram's 10s.

And Shimano does make a 11-36t 9s cassette. It came on my 29er, it was something like 430ish grams:eek: It felt like a shot put in my hand. I swapped it out for a 990 and dropped about a quarter lb from the bike.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Why does anybody need an easier granny gear? Grannies, that's who. Sram is still far superior with their 10spd cassette because the cluster of gears is much more precise. I think it is better to have a gear between 8 and 9 rather than have an easier big cog.