Quantcast

The bike commute challenge!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
http://www.bikecommutechallenge.com/oregon

This is cool. I just got an email about this from one of the many bikers in my office. What a cool idea.

How it works:

A coordinator registers the workplace, inventing a "code" that will restrict access to the company team.

Employees get the company code from their coordinator and register themselves on the website.

Employees bike to work during September and log their trips online.

The BTA crunches the numbers to find the workplaces in each of five size categories with the highest percentage of bike trips compared to overall possible employee trips - and announces the winners at the After Party on October 14th.

Individual cyclists who make seven or more trips by bike in September get a discount on gear at their local bike shop.
I ride an average of 3 days a week 9+ miles each day. Funny to think I might get something other than fitness out of it. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
they should normalize it by distance too...it's easier for me to ride a 20 mile commute twice a week than it would be to do a 40 mile commute once a week.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
We participated in this for Arizona state & various city government workers as well. I don't think anyone in our office participated. I would have, but it's a damn-near 30 mile ride and there's just no effing way I'm gonna do that.