Quantcast

The bike that got you started

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Got me started after I grew too big for the Hardrock, and is just about to enter the golden years of retirement:

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland

Aww yeah, first downhill bike but after that I moved onto a 02/03 Giant DH Team which is still my main bike. Still using those pedals actually. Note the ghetto chain device.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004

Aww yeah, first downhill bike but after that I moved onto a 02/03 Giant DH Team which is still my main bike. Still using those pedals actually. Note the ghetto chain device.
That frame above was my first proper DH bike,had 01 shivers had a MR dirt chain device what was bloody terrible....

Before that I had a Trek Y26 and rode it ever where.
hucking to flat and a assorted of other stupid stuff.

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Started riding XC in 2000, late 2007 my son asked me to get him a DH bike from there XC became secondary.

I got and still ride a Cdale Gemini 3000

My kid got a Norco Shore which recently developed a crack on the left chain stay and will be replaced with a Bullit from a fellow monkey.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Hmm, let's see....

The bike that got me into dh, or rather dual slalom at the time, was a Cannondale M800 beast of the east frame that I bought off a rich kid in high school (9th grade I think). His parents were so pissed that he sold the frame and I worried for weeks that he'd want it back. Took me a long time to build it up with an Answer ProFork (all springs, no damping!) and some crazy blue Alex rims laced to old school shimano lx hubs. I beat the snot out of this bike for many years before I could afford to upgrade or convince my mother to help me upgrade!

I eventually got a Cannondale Super V 700 Freeride (1998 I thin) with a front Sachs disc brake, Avid rear v-brake, Moto 120 inverted fork that I thought was awesome at the time. I had so many problems with this bike, namely the fork and Sachs disc brake, that I eventually traded it in (do shops even do this anymore?!?!?!) for a Gary Fisher Level Betty that was a neon green color with a Rock Shox Judy XL fork.

I started working at the gary fisher dealer part time after school and stumbled into a few different frame deals (Kona Stab with that funky downtube and Foes dhs tube that I cracked). Had an original Tomac 204 that I had Johnny T sign....still wish I owned that bike.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I had a few other mountain bikes before this one, but this was my first real mountain bike. 2000 Big Hit with long travel kit, 24" front and rear. The front was a 24x3 Gazzo on a DOUBLEWIDE. Rear was a 2.6 Gazzo on a Rhino Lite, hahaha. Fork was a 2000 Super T. I had a few full suspension Raleighs in 98 and 99 but no pics.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^^ Haha! 2000 BigHit was my first 'real' bike too! Only for some reason, I thought fenders and that huge, ugly Serfas saddle were the schizz. RST mechanical brakes were definitely pucker inducers at speed.

ph4se_1

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
first bike was an 06 hardrock sport which was gradually upgraded into a dh beast then street bike then cracked and in the bin...

kept that and got an 03 bighit comp which was very fun as it was first full sus...

needed something 'faster' so got an orange 222 second hand,which i also cracked...
then got a 2006 dhr frame will all 07 and 08 parts...thats actually cracked at the moment and is at turner being rewelded:)

bit of a bike wrecker...

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
This got me into it, upgraded pretty much everything
2002 Rockhopper FSRxc

to this

to this

and now this, although more modifications have been done, need to get some more recent pics.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
1st mtn bike: '91 Giant Butte - full rigid chromo with 21spd push-push
1st fully: '97 GT STS-DS - 5" front and rear. The ****.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Like specialized much?
Hahaha yeah. My older brother worked at a shop when i was growing up so i got good deals on specialized. Now i work there and get even better deals! Plus the Specialized bikes have always treated me well. Not to mention Sam Hill is riding one this year so they must be super good... :)

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I don't have a pic of my first DH/fr bike (2002 Giant AC)
but here's the one I had in 04

later in 2006

new Faith frame for 2008

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
First DH bike, 2001 Kona Stab Primo

First mtb was a 1994 Marin Indian Firetrail that was stolen before I even got to take it on real dirt.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I love the Chainguide setup in that pic.
They were initially spec'd with Mr Dirt's, but they didn't really fit. That was the best fit you could get on the Kona. I set a few up that were close to good, but the back plate really limited the setup. In 2000, the only guides that fit that Kona were MRP's.:disgust1:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
They were initially spec'd with Mr Dirt's, but they didn't really fit. That was the best fit you could get on the Kona. I set a few up that were close to good, but the back plate really limited the setup. In 2000, the only guides that fit that Kona were MRP's.:disgust1:
I can only wonder what the hell happenned as it cycled deep into its travel........crazy.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I'm on the left there. You can barely see the bike but it's a c.95 Santa Cruz Tazmon w/ 97 Bomber, original XT v-brakes, World Force bar/stem, Ringlé tie-dye hubs and I think Kooka cranks. This is at the Whiteface race in summer 1997, when you used to have to take 2 lifts to reach the top.

-ska todd
Todd,
Could you have broken 7:34.2 on our 5 K DH course on that bike?
Do you remember the winning times for the 1997 race?

DHM

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I got into "mountainbiking" in the 80's (still have the bike). But the bike that got me into jumping and dropping and all that "freeride" stuff was one of these:

My first task specific "Freeride Bike" was this one:

Although a few things have changed, that is pretty much the bike I'm still on.

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
This was the first break away from XC hard tails for me.

(except I didn't have the Spin wheels)

Then I had one of these

I got that Yeti for cheap-ish when Schwinn bought Yeti and the Durango facility shut down. It was built up with leftover parts from the factory with the 4 hole 54 tooth XTR chainring and all. Those rear shocks were hard to keep the rebound running. I often times had no rebound and water bars were very scary.
I have the same yeti dh6 in storage. The head tube ended up ovalized.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Won't bore you with the xc bikes I rode before I saw Kranked III. Soon after seeing Kranked III, I got my namesake (DBR X6) and began the process of becoming invincible. That bike is still being ridden by a friend of a friend. That bike was replaced by my '05 Raleigh Ram XT 3500. Did my first race on that one and did well despite having too short of a wheelbase for a full-speed course and crashing in both runs. That destroyed the frame and I wound up with an '07 Diamondback Mission 03, which I use for dh-light. My first legit dh bike is an '04/5 DHR and I can't wait for the racing to begin next month!!!

This thread is incredible, btw!!!:thumb:

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut

my first DH/FR bike. $800 on ebay. 42t chainring, weighed upwards of 50lbs, but i kept up with some XC'ers up long climbs

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
my first free ride bike was a 2000 Kona roast. Only pic I can find of it:

Got this in 03. Had it for about a month then it got stolen:

Picked up a 03 bighit:

After the big hit died I picked up an 06 SXT

The top tube on the sxt split open so specialized sent me this

Sold the SXT and got a 08 Shore

Then the shore cracked. and I'm waiting for a new frame :)

and when ever my big bikes are broken I ride this:

Last edited:

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
lol you cracked the shore? are they sending you the 09 with the upgraded dropouts/hanger that you had talked about this summer?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'm on the left there. You can barely see the bike but it's a c.95 Santa Cruz Tazmon w/ 97 Bomber, original XT v-brakes, World Force bar/stem, Ringlé tie-dye hubs and I think Kooka cranks. This is at the Whiteface race in summer 1997, when you used to have to take 2 lifts to reach the top.

-ska todd
I had a '96 Tazmon. Wasn't a bad bike with the exception of the shock leaking every other ride. The good thing however was Risse was about 45 min away in the Sunnyvale, CA area, and I would go there mid week and they would rebuild it while I waited.:thumb: