Quantcast

the bike you guys doubted

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
its just under 27, and i saved 800 bucks compared to my first build idea, thank punkassean. He helped pick parts, and he built the thing (maverick front derailleur are hard and he got it)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The bike rides insane. The suspension is perfectly balanced front to rear. It's not the least bit flexy, in fact it's super-sturdy. I chose the parts to be light but also very durable. I hate stupid-light bikes so I always try to find the best mix of light but 100% reliable.

I hope you enjoy it. Lawd knows you drive a hard bargain ;)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I like it. Not my bag personally but I think it's a good design. (It's a good idea to use the shock as a structural component on an XC bike rather than having a whole extra bit of metal.) I rode one in a car park once and it felt good.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Minute? How shameful. Have fun when it ceases to function.

So I don't get it...why does everyone jizz all over Mavericks? A GT/Mongoose iDrive/Freedrive is the same thing. Mav has to pay Pacific money to use the Sus design...and now they can't even pull the "made in the USA" card. I mean, unless you're using the Mav fork... ?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
SkaredShtles said:
:think: 100% reliable? I want to know what these magic parts are......... :p
100% reliable for their intended application. Maybe 100% was a slight overstatement but sheesh c'mon, cut me some slack. You know what I meant. :oink:

J

JRB

Chico - I rented an ML7 up in Tahoe a few years back and loved it. Way nice bike.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
punkassean said:
100% reliable for their intended application. Maybe 100% was a slight overstatement but sheesh c'mon, cut me some slack. You know what I meant. :oink:
What do you mean a slight overstatement? 100% means exactly that - that these parts never fail. I want to know what these magic parts are............. :oink:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
SkaredShtles said:
What do you mean a slight overstatement? 100% means exactly that - that these parts never fail. I want to know what these magic parts are............. :oink:
So.... you've never heard someone say "Give it 110%". Obviously they are exaggerating to prove a point. :cool:

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
First off, congratulations on the nice bike! You did indeed get a great build! And a very light bike indeed!

As for the Maverick.. I came close to getting am ML-7, as I did like the ride a lot.. also looked at the Klein, but didn't care for the cable thru frame rigging, seemed like a headache if I wanted to get quality brake lines.... but what killed it for me, and sent me back to the drawing board, and which finally lead to my Moots was the fact that a $1700 frame was made in freaking Taiwan.. I don't hate made in Taiwan, like Made in China or anything, but my opinion is that a Taiwan product should be prices accordingly, and so I offered the LBS $900 for the frame, and they said they couldn't. I actually got an email from Paul Turners people on the subject, and they finally yielded to my point, that it was too expensive for MIT by congratulating me on my decision to get a Moots..

The sad thing is that I missed a US Made LM-7 literally by two days at the LBS.. they had an Orange one built in 2003 for $1400.. but it rolled out the day before I came in to order the Moots.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
thanks, im going to take it on its first major ride this weekend, and will hopefuly race it in firstone (gonna have to deal with the amount of travel), however the way the bike is design it pedals like a dream.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
very cool din't know theres custom paint, but don't know if i would have spent more on the frame, B/C the frame alone is still over 2 g's

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The ML-7 frame retails for $2,200 but they paid less because they are return customers and they also got a full custom build.

That GT is a good deal though for sure but you can't really compare it to a Maverick. The Maverick they bought was also a USA made bike unlike the new ML-8 and ML-7.5.

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
punkassean said:
The ML-7 frame retails for $2,200 but they paid less because they are return customers and they also got a full custom build.

That GT is a good deal though for sure but you can't really compare it to a Maverick. The Maverick they bought was also a USA made bike unlike the new ML-8 and ML-7.5.
Which Mav is US Made today? I was told they're all now out of Taiwan.. The ML7 frame I almost bought retailed for $1795 if I recall.. or are we talking about the same thing? Come to think of it, maybe I was getting the price mixed up on the older ML 7.0 that was actually made in the USA, but was 4 years old that I almost bought.. Either way, at $2200 that's a bit excessive for a Taiwan made bike, no?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
punkassean said:
That GT is a good deal though for sure but you can't really compare it to a Maverick
Except that they have the same suspension design and ride nearly the same, and that one doesn't come with a proprietary shock?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
This bike is a 2005 ML-7.0 which I thought was USA made. From my understanding Maverick went overseas for the ML-8 because it uses hydroformed frame members and no one stateside could produce those pieces with any kind of quality control for a reasonable price. Maybe I'm wrong. FWIW my S-Works Enduro is Taiwan made and it retails at $2,200 frame only. Taiwan has the best frame building facilites in the world but there will always be that "Made in America" perceived value. I know it means something to me although I'm not sure exactly what. :)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
chicodude said:
Except that they have the same suspension design and ride nearly the same, and that one doesn't come with a proprietary shock?
We service Maverick shocks at the shop so the turnaround is actually faster than with Fox which takes 10-14 days total. The suspension design is similar although not the same, I can't speak for the ride of the GT but I can say that the Maverick is awesome. I can also say that we used to be a GT dealer and there's a reason we're not anymore. We lost thousands of dollars when GT went bankrupt and failed to fullfil warranties facing us with the choice to leave our valued customers high and dry or honor their warranty claims out of pocket. So far Maverick has been wonderful to work with and their quality is incredible.

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
One thing I noticed about our esteemed member Chicodude is that he's not really into the idea of spending lots of money on a bike. I detected this from your reaction to my bike, but also from reading other threads where you tend to come off as frugal.. Nothing wrong with it, but you have to understand too that some of us are also pre-disposed to spend a lot on certain things, be it bike, car, watch, etc..

We don't all see the world thru the same financial advisors eyes, nor do we all take home the same paycheck.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Ti22 said:
One thing I noticed about our esteemed member Chicodude is that he's not really into the idea of spending lots of money on a bike. I detected this from your reaction to my bike, but also from reading other threads where you tend to come off as frugal.. Nothing wrong with it, but you have to understand too that some of us are also pre-disposed to spend a lot on certain things, be it bike, car, watch, etc..

We don't all see the world thru the same financial advisors eyes, nor do we all take home the same paycheck.
Much to your dismay, I'm not chico...I'm sure Sanj will know who this cynical ass is criticising the ML7 :cool:

But, I don't believe in spending copious amounts of money on something that can be had for a fraction of the price (See the GT ID5 and the Maverick), nor do I believe in spending tons of money on something because of what is written on the side. I've ridden the ML7, and I wasn't impressed. It rides like an iDrive (big reason GT/Paci sued Mav).

I think Mavericks frames have something to be desired in order to be worthy of their pricetags, but their forks on the other hand...

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
chicodude said:
Much to your dismay, I'm not chico...I'm sure Sanj will know who this cynical ass is criticising the ML7 :cool:
No prob.. I've got no horse in this race. Don't misunderstand as I wasn't trying to flame or attack your views..

But I'm not following what you mean by you're not chico, and the whole thing with the cynical ass criticizing the ML7... :think:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Ti22 said:
No prob.. I've got no horse in this race. Don't misunderstand as I wasn't trying to flame or attack your views..

But I'm not following what you mean by you're not chico, and the whole thing with the cynical ass criticizing the ML7... :think:

Whoa, this is the frst time I've seen this. I had a friend borrow my account.