Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
narlus said:
:think:

not bad for a 15 y/o w/ a brand new Ventana Cuervo.
I'm 16 :nuts: ;) I have been saving money for a long long long time just in case I needed something like this, and I have about $1,700 saved, and so I decided to get the Ventana, and I hardly ever use my credit card though, mainly at school just in case.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My wife and I have some (around 5K), mostly from the lingering effects of years in graduate school and getting married. We're steadily paying them down and haven't used them in over a year and a half now. I expect we'll have it payed off in another year.

We finally have enough savings to cover us for a month or two in case of emergency. Now that we have that covered we'll be up'ing our monthly payments to the CC's. It's starting to look like the end of debt is near! Ah!
Today was the day.

I went to the bank this morning and payed off the remaining balance on our CC. Then I deposited all the checks we've gotten from family for our baby into his own savings account. In addition, we've got about 4 months salary worth of savings now. Our only debt now is about 20K of low interest student loans, which I consolidated to keep the monthly payment relatively low. Now we can start saving for a house.

Feels good, I had to tell somebody!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good Job JD! :monkeydance:

Although no CC debt I just recently payed off my last student loan and also just realized that I could pay off my mortgage if I cashed in all my savings/investments.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Today was the day.

I went to the bank this morning and payed off the remaining balance on our CC. Then I deposited all the checks we've gotten from family for our baby into his own savings account. In addition, we've got about 4 months salary worth of savings now. Our only debt now is about 20K of low interest student loans, which I consolidated to keep the monthly payment relatively low. Now we can start saving for a house.

Feels good, I had to tell somebody!
Good on ya. Now get that money of the baby savings account and put it in a vehicle that'll make some money! :p

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Congratulations!

No CC debt for me! :D I know a girl back in NH that I worked with who has $60,000-ish in CC debt (compiled from school, cars, marriage, etc.). She doesn't even seem to care; a few months ago she bought a two-week trip to Rome and tacked that onto the sum. :shocked: I have a co-worker now who seems like she may be headed down the same horrible path soon.:disgust:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Good Job JD! :monkeydance:

Although no CC debt I just recently payed off my last student loan and also just realized that I could pay off my mortgage if I cashed in all my savings/investments.
i wouldn't do that, unless you think yr house will appreciate faster in value (which is doubtful, and also not very risk-adverse at all).

JD, good to hear of yr fiscal prudence. :monkeydance:

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Wife's student loans : $70k
Two Cars: $50k
Promotion 0% loan: $25k
Home Depot card : $500
Chase Card : $500

So real credit cards is right around $1000, but I should have those paid tonight. As for the rest, well I guess you just keep paying...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i wouldn't do that, unless you think yr house will appreciate faster in value (which is doubtful, and also not very risk-adverse at all).

JD, good to hear of yr fiscal prudence. :monkeydance:
I could but I won't. Considering a low interest rate and being able to deduct the interest, the money is doing better elsewhere. Although I should invest in the house as the market here is still silly and a little remodeling will make it significantly more valuable.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Yah have any advice? It's only a few hundred dollars right now. Obviously I'd like to see it grow.
Get into a trust account of some form that is continually prudently invested.

This will allow you to put in your own money each month (a good idea) while it is earning a return at a higher rate then just a savings account (a better idea) and it will have some protections from taxes.

My folks did this for my brother and I. Over the years with them putting in money, some inheritances that came our way, my grandfather buying out my mother's stock in his corporation, and good solid investments, there was enough money in my trust for me to get three BA/BS degrees, two masters and 2 out of the 3 years of my law degree.

While this might sound spoiled and elitist, it was really nice not to have to worry about how I was going to pay the bills during the last decade of my life. It gave me the chance to focus on my schooling, and more often then not my beer, so I could maximize things.

Its a good investment man, solid work for starting one for your kid.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I will be finished paying $60K in consolidation in 2 months. I could have went bankrupt, but I'm not a welcher. Never did the equity thing, why secure unsecured debt? My house will be paid off in two years, we had a ten year mortgage.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Never did the equity thing, why secure unsecured debt?
There ya' go. Taking out a line of equity to pay off unsecured debt is a terrible idea.

They can only do so much, since they can't actually repossess anything. Plus, if you end up in a worst case scenario and need to file Chap. 13, you typically don't have to pay a dime to unsecured creditors. You're liable for 100% of that secured debt, though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
There ya' go. Taking out a line of equity to pay off unsecured debt is a terrible idea.

They can only do so much, since they can't actually repossess anything. Plus, if you end up in a worst case scenario and need to file Chap. 13, you typically don't have to pay a dime to unsecured creditors. You're liable for 100% of that secured debt, though.
For a fiscally responsible person, moving $15K of unsecured debt at 18% to secured at 6.5% can be a very good move.

Of course, a responsible person wouldn't get into that position.... :D

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
We got out when most CC companies would freeze your account with no interest when you went to assisted debt consolidation. Of course, you can't have credit cards anymore when you do that, and that is quite a lesson.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
We got out when most CC companies would freeze your account with no interest when you went to assisted debt consolidation. Of course, you can't have credit cards anymore when you do that, and that is quite a lesson.
It will also bite you in the ass down the road when you try to buy a car or get a mortgage...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
For a fiscally responsible person, moving $15K of unsecured debt at 18% to secured at 6.5% can be a very good move.

Of course, a responsible person wouldn't get into that position.... :D
That's the point. If you're so far in debt that there is no other way to pay for it than taking a loan out on your house, there's a very good chance you're boardering on defaulting on that debt. Defaulting on a credit card is bad. Defaulting on a secured house loan means you might end up with nowhere to live, or be forced into declaring bankruptcy just so the bank won't auction your house off.

I agree that in some cases it can be beneficial, but I wouldn't say that most of the population can handle their money well enough to make the risk worthwhile.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I use my card for everyting. Hence, I've always got a few hundred on it, but I pay it off as I go. It hits 0$ ever month.

I am a debtaphobe.

I need to buy a house. Unless I move to Maui. Oh whatever, rent's cheap.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I had a lot of CC debt in the past. It's an easy trap to fall into... especially when your "wants" are beyond your means and your friends are getting new "stuff" and you want new "stuff" too.

It also doesn't help suffer from depression and buying things makes you happy... if only for awhile...

Not saying either excuse is valid... but it happened...

You'd probably fient if you knew how much money I blew during my 20's... and still ended up in debt... car crap... guitars... bikes... other toys... and while I still have some of it (all of my current bikes were purchased during this period), the resulting value doesn't nearly equal what I spent.

But, I managed to get myself under control and have been debt free (other than car and mortgage) for a few years now. And like some others, my overall assets exceed my liabilities. Definitely a good feeling.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
i just went $2,500 in debt, even though I had the money, just to get some credit since I was stupid and at 27 with no bills (that credit people look at) and no credit cards. I'll finish paying it off in 2 months 8 months shy of the final bill.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
i just went $2,500 in debt, even though I had the money, just to get some credit since I was stupid and at 27 with no bills (that credit people look at) and no credit cards. I'll finish paying it off in 2 months 8 months shy of the final bill.
You don't have to carry credit to get a good credit rating. Just having a credit card, using it, and paying your payments on time works too.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
if we don't count student loans...450 bucks. if we do count student loans, i could always whore myself out to two hundred chicks for a hundred bucks a piece, or twenty fat chicks for one thousand dollars a piece...

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
No credit card debt, but I did start tracking every penny I spend during this month.

It's quite shocking to see where my money goes. I'm using my "research" results to start budgeting my money better.

I was always pretty good with my money, but there are times when I look in my bank account and go "Where is all my money going?".

I hope to stop that this year.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
You don't have to carry credit to get a good credit rating. Just having a credit card, using it, and paying your payments on time works too.
From people that i talked to it was the quickest way to get credit without having to put money down to get a credit card since according to the credit report companies I don't exist. Also I'm keeping it longer to show i can and will make the payments on time over a longer period of time.
So I'll go from no credit to good credit in about 3-4 months and not have to build it up in a slower way. I was lucky that i was in a place where I A) needed to make a large purchase and B) I had the funds to make the purchase.
All I did was buy something using a small personal loan that i could afford without it to get credit.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
From people that i talked to it was the quickest way to get credit without having to put money down to get a credit card since according to the credit report companies I don't exist. Also I'm keeping it longer to show i can and will make the payments on time over a longer period of time.
So I'll go from no credit to good credit in about 3-4 months and not have to build it up in a slower way. I was lucky that i was in a place where I A) needed to make a large purchase and B) I had the funds to make the purchase.
All I did was buy something using a small personal loan that i could afford without it to get credit.
My point is you don't have to pay the credit card company any interest. Just use your card & pay it off every month. Just make sure to pay it off on time....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Interesting...In "financial planning", or whatever bull**** class I took in high school they said to carry a balance.

Meh. Doesn't matter to me...my credit has been established.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
Interesting...In "financial planning", or whatever bull**** class I took in high school they said to carry a balance.

Meh. Doesn't matter to me...my credit has been established.
That's what I was told and as soon as My loan is paid off I'll be paying the balance off as soon as i get the bill from what ever CC I get.