Quantcast

The butt thread: finding a new seat.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
I've been riding (sitting) on WTB Rocket V saddles for most of my riding career.

However, they are lacking durability and never last more than half a summer (under ideal conditions).

So I am hear to ask around as tactfully as possible, what are people's favorite seats, how do they compare to other seats, and generally what you all would recommend.

(I don't care about price really, just trying to maintain a good working relationship with my XC bike)

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
I've constantly had issues where the stitching blows out at all of the different junctions. It's really annoying, because my whole seat just comes apart within like one ride of a small seam issue. But, I suppose I can't expect more from a $30 seat (shop cost) - so this is me trying to stop my b!tching and be proactive in determining a solution.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Chromag Trailmaster LTD, thick hide, no snaggy bits so you can wear normal people clothes.
It is quite wide in the middle which won't suit everyone, I was wishing I was closer to having the male equivalent of a box gap on longer road rides.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've got two different generations of yeti edition WTB saddles. both second hand. not a single issue with either, and i've got at least 4 years on both of them myself.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
the WTB Volt is my new saddle. Not much stitching on it to fail. I've not had it very long though. The "V" models seem to have lots of seams. Perhaps that's your problem?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have one of them Prologo Scratch Plus saddles with a crotch venting channel and I like it a lot. My arse feels less swampy and it has no stitches to speak of. I switched from a Fizik Gobi XM and the Prologo is much more comfortable, especially on longer rides. It took some time for my bones to get used to it tho.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
Da Peach - I think you're right about the "V" models. Might have to look at the other options.
StiHacka - that option looks like a really nice one. I'll check that out as well.
HTH - the Cromag looks like a good option as well.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The prologo's are really nice, but also (in NZ) really expensive.
they have a range of different profiles from flat to semi round to round.
Most mountain bike type riding the semi round is a good one for men.

Shaped closer to the WTB you've been on (if that shape works well for your body) is the SDG Belaire or maybe the Charge Scoop.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Oh of the Prologo's you should probably look at the Nago X10, it's the best XC shaped saddle, the X8 is close but is a lil firmer and the shape is a bit more suited towards road riding.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
Dave,

I feel like the Rocket might be a little on the narrow-side, as the Silverado saddle (WTB as well) is a little more supportive. I am looking in the Prologos you and Sti suggested, as they look really nice. The Nago seems to be right about what I'm looking for at this point.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hahaha, there's not many bike parts that I wouldn't own because they look stupid but that right there is one!
I don't doubt that it's comfortable but every single person that looked at it would ask- What is it, why did you buy that, what's wrong with a normal seat.......?

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
i have the Specialized Henge seat (it has no stitching). i like it because its flatter. the WTB seat that came on my bike, (and WTBs in general) are too curvy. they dont support as well

Specialized dealers have these assometers too, to help you get the right width

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I like the Pure V. A little wider and flatter in the tail than the Rocket, which doesn't agree with my bum. I used to like the WTB SST back in the day, and this is as close as I can find.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have the Specialized Henge seat (it has no stitching). i like it because its flatter. the WTB seat that came on my bike, (and WTBs in general) are too curvy. they dont support as well

Specialized dealers have these assometers too, to help you get the right width

please tell me the scientific name for that device is assometer

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm a fan of pretty much anything Selle Italia, but I've also taken a liking to the WTB silverado. I prefer a little dick channel to not go dumb, for me it really works. The WTB has held up pretty well, but the selles fall apart quick. That's the italians for ya...

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
I forgot I had a Silverado in my tool box (that i've had for years), and I tried it out, realizing that has been the ticket. XC rides are now so much better for so many reasons. So, I spent $0 and fix an issue - win/win. Though, I am putting away my pocket change for one of those Prologo seats in the future (or something of that caliber of butt support).

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I broke my Chromag on the previous page and am on my spare TLD Selle something, it is the most uncomfortable seat ever made closely followed by my Tioga something something.