Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gopro

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Insta 360

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Whole reason I went to mirrorless is to get away from walking around with a 25lb bag of lenses everywhere I go. I found myself simply leaving my camera at home, then I bought an okay-ish point and shoot with manual exposure control and used the hell out of it, so I went to the M50 and it's a pretty nice middle ground. It also sets a nice artificial limit on how much I can spend and how deep down the rabbit hole I can go, with the EF shit I went from f4 zooms, to f2.8s, and then started buying primes, and ditched my 20d for a 1d, then a 1d mkii, etc, with the EF-M you can buy every single lens Canon makes and still not break the $2000 mark.

I still don't shoot as much as I'd like to, always struggle with either being a photographer or actually being "there" so I err on the side of paying attention rather than shooting pics, but I shoot a hell of a lot more now than I had been. Truth be told I should probably ditch the M50 and go to a G series, as the M still allows for a bit too much nerding out.
I used the M50 for a season due to its form factor and although it did its job for the purpose of light and nimble I opted for the a6600 to replace it and found the end product to be twice as what I expected, the dynamic range and color profiles were far superior and it is a monster for stills. Plus the APSC glass was significantly cheaper than the alternatives and actually had more usability for focal length and f stops.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Whole reason I went to mirrorless is to get away from walking around with a 25lb bag of lenses everywhere I go. I found myself simply leaving my camera at home, then I bought an okay-ish point and shoot with manual exposure control and used the hell out of it, so I went to the M50 and it's a pretty nice middle ground. It also sets a nice artificial limit on how much I can spend and how deep down the rabbit hole I can go, with the EF shit I went from f4 zooms, to f2.8s, and then started buying primes, and ditched my 20d for a 1d, then a 1d mkii, etc, with the EF-M you can buy every single lens Canon makes and still not break the $2000 mark.

I still don't shoot as much as I'd like to, always struggle with either being a photographer or actually being "there" so I err on the side of paying attention rather than shooting pics, but I shoot a hell of a lot more now than I had been. Truth be told I should probably ditch the M50 and go to a G series, as the M still allows for a bit too much nerding out.
I see. Canon is about to kill off the M series rumors say. For me it is either cell phone or full frame. But I do a lot of wildlife photography, so there is a need for long lenses. Canon's new super zoom RF 24-240 looks like a nice one-lens travel setup.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I see. Canon is about to kill off the M series rumors say. For me it is either cell phone or full frame. But I do a lot of wildlife photography, so there is a need for long lenses. Canon's new super zoom RF 24-240 looks like a nice one-lens travel setup.
Would not doubt it, they sorta shot themselves in the foot by not allowing a mix of their consumer and pro level mirrorless systems like the EF and EF-S, if there were a way to grow into the system I'm sure it would have done better. It's a pretty kickass little camera, I love it with the 20mm pancake lens. It's also the "trail bike" of cameras, what most people really should be using, but somehow they're convinced they need pro-level gear to take a snap-shot of their kid at soccer practice. Buying into the M system means they can't easily transition into anything pro later on the way they could with the Rebel.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Would not doubt it, they sorta shot themselves in the foot by not allowing a mix of their consumer and pro level mirrorless systems like the EF and EF-S, if there were a way to grow into the system I'm sure it would have done better. It's a pretty kickass little camera, I love it with the 20mm pancake lens. It's also the "trail bike" of cameras, what most people really should be using, but somehow they're convinced they need pro-level gear to take a snap-shot of their kid at soccer practice. Buying into the M system means they can't easily transition into anything pro later on the way they could with the Rebel.
I looked hard at the M series when I wanted to go mirrorless. But action and wildlife were not its strength. But for lifestyle, street and travel photography I think it is a great option. There is an adaptor for mounting EF lenses on the M body.