Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Insta 360

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Go pro usually set to take pictures every 10 or 30 seconds, a lot easier than intently taking pictures, but also Iphone.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Canon 5DII. Usually with a 135/2L mounted up to it.

GoPro Max for skiing. Dat Hypersmooth and horizon leveling.

iPhone 13 Pro Max for day to day because Good Enough(tm).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Still slinging an SLR?, I totally would have figured your were in the mirrorless realm, The 5D3 was my all time fav camera till I bumped over to sony.
I really don't use it much these days. Still have it, a 24-105/4L, 50 mm pancake, and that lovely 135/2L around.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
All my shit got stolen when my house got broken into a few years ago. Bodies were so old my phone took better pictures but I had a few good wide angle lenses.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That sucks, You never regroup with claim money?
I didn't think it was worth the claim. Used to ride with a bunch of people in the insurance game and was always recommended to not make homeowners insurance claims unless it was a sizeable bill as you would always get your rates increased and would lose money in the long term. The glass was worth maybe $600. Nothing else was taken, tweakers were clearly looking for jewelry, cash and painkillers. I bet they were excited when they got a bottle of prescription medication labelled "Methotrexate" but I doubt they realized it wouldn't get them high but just cause birth defects or liver damage if taken by the wrong person.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I didn't think it was worth the claim. Used to ride with a bunch of people in the insurance game and was always recommended to not make homeowners insurance claims unless it was a sizeable bill as you would always get your rates increased and would lose money in the long term. The glass was worth maybe $600. Nothing else was taken, tweakers were clearly looking for jewelry, cash and painkillers. I bet they were excited when they got a bottle of prescription medication labelled "Methotrexate" but I doubt they realized it wouldn't get them high but just cause birth defects or liver damage if taken by the wrong person.
Gotcha, not much of a loss then. Knock on wood....I have never had a camera stolen but nearly all of mine have had major damage before upgrading, especially when I was shooting in iraq and races.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Gotcha, not much of a loss then. Knock on wood....I have never had a camera stolen but nearly all of mine have had major damage before upgrading, especially when I was shooting in iraq and races.
It was also old Olypmus Four Thirds. I had a format choice to make back in the day and I chose poorly. But I bought my setup primarily for backpacking and the smaller lighter Olympus stuff had its advantages. I am kind of happy to not be saddled with extra gear anymore but often wonder how much better a proper setup would do over my cell phone, especially in shitty lighting conditions like this.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
The APSC lineup from sony can be had for cheap used and the bodies and lenses are by far the smallest and lightest for travel. Just bought the 18 yr old a sony a6000 and 2 lenses for under a grand. They have some great dynamic range with built in stepping and bracketing abilities.

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 8.23.46 AM.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It was also old Olypmus Four Thirds. I had a format choice to make back in the day and I chose poorly. But I bought my setup primarily for backpacking and the smaller lighter Olympus stuff had its advantages. I am kind of happy to not be saddled with extra gear anymore but often wonder how much better a proper setup would do over my cell phone, especially in shitty lighting conditions like this.

the only cure for shitty lighting is to be there at a different hour of the day when the light is not shitty

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Bonus points if it's the Olympic Mountains.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
the only cure for shitty lighting is to be there at a different hour of the day when the light is not shitty
Sorta. Decent dynamic range can allow you to push and pull quite a bit. It doesn't make the lighting "not shitty" exactly, but you have a whole lot more leeway over the final result.

Last year I went all-in on a mirrorless kit. My uncle passed away, and we both shared a love for photography, so I took some of what he left me and put together a new kit. I've got a Nikon Z7 II and some assorted lenses - a 14-30, 35 f/1.8, 24-70 primarily. Jenn has the new Z-mount 105mm macro. My telephotos are still adapted F-mount lenses.

It's no lighter than the D7100 + lenses I was hiking with before, but the image quality is amazing. I kept mulling a switch to Sony, but they just have no answer for the Nikon PF telephotos (the 300mm f/4 and 500mm f/5.6).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

It's so depressing how much of that beautiful mountain range is wilderness. Suitable for only PCT hiker and horse shit, and not those filthy mountainbike tires.

One of those bigguns in the background glacier peak?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's so depressing how much of that beautiful mountain range is wilderness. Suitable for only PCT hiker and horse shit, and not those filthy mountainbike tires.

One of those bigguns in the background glacier peak?
No this is much farther north. Possibly Mt. Larrabee.

That particular vantage required hours of technical scrambling to get to. You would need to strap a bike to your back to get it there or take a helicopter.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
No this is much farther north. Possibly Mt. Larrabee.

That particular vantage required hours of technical scrambling to get to. You would need to strap a bike to your back to get it there or take a helicopter.
thats a shame you werent able to get some brackets in raw from that perspective. For me I quantify it via production value as the time, energy, effort and finances it took to get there would be such a loss for me if I wasnt able to get at least 9 bracketed images in raw to take home and spend the time on the post production to make it look as amazing as it was with the naked eye. I can show you my process if you like.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeew, I am a dirty bearded hipster so I naturally have a Pentax that isn't in the list.
My family are all Canon people, they are all New Zealanders so I naturally don't trust them, I looked at other brands rather than following them.

I get all in to things for 10 minutes then push it in to a corner a few months later and wonder what I was thinking at the time.
I had a Sigma 8-16 and 150-400 or whatever loaded with mold and promised myself I'd never buy any more lenses.

I decided to pull the tele apart to have a go at cleaning it, I got 90% of growth off it but got greedy and pulled heaps of the electronics out then got bored and left it in pieces. It was a shit lens that crept very badly and was pretty soft at 400mm at almost any aperture I'd want to use.

Currently in lenses there's a 30mm Sigma Art, 40mm Pentax, 100mm Pentax macro, Pentax 60-250, Pentax and Sigma 16-70 or something. The only lens I have bought new is the 100mm macro because sinking money in to Pentax gear is pretty stupid as there are so few people using it and the Aussie distributor sells direct to customers and undercuts retailers which hurts the used market prices.

I'm currently waiting for an almost affordable used 150-450mm lens to come up for sale in Japan.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I’ll play.
I’ve yet you get on the mirrorless thing. Although I feel I will own a Z9 at some point. I have a lot of shit. D5, D810, D700 and a old ass D80 but it’s light and really has good iq. I really like primes for portrait and non moving subjects. 50, 85 and 104 f1.4 cover those duties.
70-200 f2.8 and 16-35 f4 are my most used zooms.
I keep a Tamron 150-600 around for the little bit of wildlife around my house. I will probably sell some stuff since I have given up on weddings.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fucking go-pro 10 giving me "cold soaked" warning in 16F with the Enduro battery and auto-powering off. This camera was supposed to be better in the cold and I'm pissed it worked like crap. For an outdoor piece of equipment, this sucks. Still. I'm really pissed because I bought this camera and the "enduro battery" specifically because it was supposed to be better in the cold, and it's the same old shit. I'm going to ask them to send me one that works or my money back.

Heads Up: The operating ambient temperature range of your HERO10 Black is 14° F ~ 95° F (-10° C ~ 35° C). High temperatures will cause your camera to use more power and drain the battery faster.
IMG_1081(2).JPG

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Fucking go-pro 10 giving me "cold soaked" warning in 16F with the Enduro battery and auto-powering off. This camera was supposed to be better in the cold and I'm pissed it worked like crap. For an outdoor piece of equipment, this sucks. Still. I'm really pissed because I bought this camera and the "enduro battery" specifically because it was supposed to be better in the cold, and it's the same old shit. I'm going to ask them to send me one that works or my money back.
I know it's just an N of 1, but I did some light snorkeling with my GoPro Session, only to have it power off and refuse to start again. Popped open the memory card compartment and salt water drained out of it; memory card was corroded.

The GoPro tech support person looked at my photos and told me they were sorry but water damage wasn't covered. So the new camera that I used in a few feet of water a few times was now a paperweight. I could chalk the leak up to a one-off defect, but the support was atrocious. I guess anyone who wants to use their camera in a wet environment just has to accept that the warranty is void? WTF is that?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I know it's just an N of 1, but I did some light snorkeling with my GoPro Session, only to have it power off and refuse to start again. Popped open the memory card compartment and salt water drained out of it; memory card was corroded.

The GoPro tech support person looked at my photos and told me they were sorry but water damage wasn't covered. So the new camera that I used in a few feet of water a few times was now a paperweight. I could chalk the leak up to a one-off defect, but the support was atrocious. I guess anyone who wants to use their camera in a wet environment just has to accept that the warranty is void? WTF is that?
They are heavily promoting their subscription service right now, $50 a year, they basically make it so you can't buy a new one without it, at least directly from gopro. That was their excuse for not warrantying my previous camera, that got some kind of corrosion damage in where the battery inserts, except I've never submerged it water or done anything like that. It just corroded over time, like a few pictures I've seen of the fox live-valve control unit. Like dissimilar metal corrosion/ion transfer most likely.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

View attachment 172973
For skiing I went with this external pack for my Max:

INIU Portable Charger, 22.5W... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09176JCKZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It lives inside my jacket, USB-C cord snaking out above the zipper to the GoPro on a chest mount. The setup works quite well.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Has anyone got a compact that they like? I had the first Ricoh GR but they haven't sorted the dust getting on the sensor issue and the prices for the new ones are nuts!
No Panasonics, coz fuck them and Gavin in the warranty department.........not that I hold grudges.

I like the look of the Sony RX100 V but having to buy a had grip seems pretty stupid, the lens sits proud so adding a small grip wouldn't have made it any less compact.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Has anyone got a compact that they like? I had the first Ricoh GR but they haven't sorted the dust getting on the sensor issue and the prices for the new ones are nuts!
No Panasonics, coz fuck them and Gavin in the warranty department.........not that I hold grudges.

I like the look of the Sony RX100 V but having to buy a had grip seems pretty stupid, the lens sits proud so adding a small grip wouldn't have made it any less compact.
You dont need the grip for that camera, it is better without one anyways.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You dont need the grip for that camera, it is better without one anyways.
Nah they are flat and really smooth, I'd have to have a grip or I'd buy something else, I am properly clumsy.
I don't understand why they couldn't just put a little grip on it like the GR.
This would do I guess.......
1647773110285.png

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Any of you camera nerds Canon shooters? Got lots of EOS lenses to unload having switched to mirrorless and also not taking photography seriously anymore.
Why not adapt the EF lenses? They work great on the mirrorless bodies.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Why not adapt the EF lenses? They work great on the mirrorless bodies.
Whole reason I went to mirrorless is to get away from walking around with a 25lb bag of lenses everywhere I go. I found myself simply leaving my camera at home, then I bought an okay-ish point and shoot with manual exposure control and used the hell out of it, so I went to the M50 and it's a pretty nice middle ground. It also sets a nice artificial limit on how much I can spend and how deep down the rabbit hole I can go, with the EF shit I went from f4 zooms, to f2.8s, and then started buying primes, and ditched my 20d for a 1d, then a 1d mkii, etc, with the EF-M you can buy every single lens Canon makes and still not break the $2000 mark.

I still don't shoot as much as I'd like to, always struggle with either being a photographer or actually being "there" so I err on the side of paying attention rather than shooting pics, but I shoot a hell of a lot more now than I had been. Truth be told I should probably ditch the M50 and go to a G series, as the M still allows for a bit too much nerding out.