Quantcast

The canadmos is fat thread

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@canadmos just because you asked for it :D

@Jm_ - for 177 rear hubs, as far as I know there's the OEM formula junk, Hope, Bitex (I think) and if you're feeling rich, Onyx. I decided I wanted to ditch the Formula on our fat bikes after DT Swiss had decided to drop their 177 rear hubs. We've now got 9 bikes with DT hubs, the only outliers that are ridden outdoors are our Smash's with Hydra and my wifes fat bike still on the Formula.

My bike is maxed out with a 4.6" Dunderbeist out back with my 11 speed drivetrain. The chain can sometimes rub the tyre when in the 42T cog out back. I couldn't use this tyre with 12 speed as the big cog would be too far inboard.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is there still I9? Not that id buy em. Their axles break a lot.

Otso/WT has their own too now, right?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ah true, didn't even think about chain and tire interference with 177mm. I was thinking the chain stays would limit it, but can see how that can be manufactured around.

I have 4.8 Minions on mine and don't think I'd go any narrower for around here. It's funny watching a few of my friends absolutely struggle and lose their shit on soft snow - their bikes are limited to something like 4.3" or something in the back.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I can't even try to spot the derailleur alignment to the big cog looking from the back as the tyre sticks out too far.

Our bikes came with 4.8 FBF up front and 4.0 FBR out back, didn't work at all for us with the narrow rear. 4.6 Dunderbeist was the largest reported compatible with our frames and there's definitely no more room.

I'd like something better than the FBF up front as it washes sideways a bit too easily on a side slope imo.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I thought this would be a true fatness thread for I have advice

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Got an alert for a DT 177 hub on ebay overnight. Sold by the time I got to it this morning :panic:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
On the fart bike topic, I have had a pair of these pants for a bit now:

Pros:
-cheap
-warm
-comfortable
-ankles fit tight around boots
-large zippered pockets

Cons:
-draw string waste band and no zipper fly. who in their right might would do this?? Clearly not someone who has ridden in actual cold weather, with gloves and has needed to take a piss.
-stretchy material on the backside is perhaps a little too stretchy - i've had it get caught on my seat (though I purchased pants 1 or 2 sizes too big)
-zippers pull up. i'd rather them pull down, easier to do up and i feel like they are less likely to unzip themselves that way

Overall not bad for some cheap pants. They probably won't get you through the Iditarod.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Basically copies of the Craft pants that 98% of people wear here.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I need to open the hub on this new fat bike and see whats going on.

The last few rides, I've heard one or two popping sounds coming from the hub. It feels like the same thing that happened to the other hubs that failed. It seems to only happen if I pedal out of a corner, so with the bike leaned over a bit - but it only happens once or twice over the spread of a ride.

Hopefully it just needs to be cleaned out or something.

:hmm:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have that a bit too, but I figure its my shitty e13 cassette. Doesnt do it when Im running Xdome it seems.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is just a bog standard HG freehub with a 9 speed cassette on it (probably not 1 piece).

When it happened with the old bike, with that Hope hub, it started infrequently and then got worse and worse - before it eventually snapped one last time and left me walking out of the forest.

I was hoping that would go away, after moving to this new frame with full through axle and whatnot. So fingers crossed when I open it up.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
This is just a bog standard HG freehub with a 9 speed cassette on it (probably not 1 piece).

When it happened with the old bike, with that Hope hub, it started infrequently and then got worse and worse - before it eventually snapped one last time and left me walking out of the forest.

I was hoping that would go away, after moving to this new frame with full through axle and whatnot. So fingers crossed when I open it up.
Naw, it will blow up. Trust me.