Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Japanese contractors drive kei trucks and vans. Efficient, get the job done, and ladder racks can be mounted up all the same.
you can get them with a couple different configurations - dump beds, vans, flat beds. one of my neighbors siblings or cousins or something has an acty, i see it on pretty much a weekly basis.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you take 15 more minutes to get to the trailhead with your snowmobiles then your sponsors will be downright livid
You're assuming it can actually get there at all.

Might get there more dependably using the sled to tow the truck.

spancers, LOL

I'm going by the motor specs that you told me about in those things. I quite literally doubt that 2wd/lawn mower motor can even carry a 500lb sled (or any real load) up a mountain, in the mountains when it's snowing. I know you think they're cute as vehicles (I agree) but making bro jokes at my expense doesn't change reality. It looks like an urban take out food delivery thing. A rickshaw that makes some exhaust.

The beds are actually big enough to use, unlike all the dorky 5ft bed electric trucks being released here....

edit: looks like the last year of production had 4x4, so that's cool. Let the ubran hipster bidding wars begin!

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm going by the motor specs that you told me about in those things. I quite literally doubt lawn mower motor can even carry a 500lb sled (or any real load) up a mountain, in the mountains when it's snowing. I know you think they're cute as vehicles (I agree) but making bro jokes at my expense doesn't change reality. It looks like an urban take out food delivery thing. A rickshaw that makes some exhaust.
don't forget you're arguing with someone that drives a minivan.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
you can get them with a couple different configurations - dump beds, vans, flat beds. one of my neighbors siblings or cousins or something has an acty, i see it on pretty much a weekly basis.
Those are quite popular around here with folks that actually need trucks. Pretty much replace a gator or ranger. With 2” spacers they fit down 30” corn rows. Perfect for spot spraying.

Considering a new gator or ranger is pushing $30k. Those trucks are a steal. $5-6k is the going rate around here. I have a customer that put a turbo on his. It’s a pretty good way to die.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I could haul the shit out of some plastic bag loads to be recycled.

It has a motor with less displacement than my sled. And it's a crappy single cam 4 stroke, so probably has as much hp and torque as toshi's ebike.

oh wait.........I just found the appeal
My buddy uses one to haul his trash cans from the house to the street. It works out well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Those are quite popular around here with folks that actually need trucks. Pretty much replace a gator or ranger. With 2” spacers they fit down 30” corn rows. Perfect for spot spraying.

Considering a new gator or ranger is pushing $30k. Those trucks are a steal. $5-6k is the going rate around here. I have a customer that put a turbo on his. It’s a pretty good way to die.
When I looked after seeing the neighbors acty, I searched around and found a dude on craigslist out by Lancaster. He imports them, gets them street legal and title, and will get them configured how you want (I guess he imports aftermarket parts too) and sells them for usually about $6-7k all in.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm going by the motor specs that you told me about in those things. I quite literally doubt that 2wd/lawn mower motor can even carry a 500lb sled (or any real load) up a mountain, in the mountains when it's snowing. I know you think they're cute as vehicles (I agree) but making bro jokes at my expense doesn't change reality. It looks like an urban take out food delivery thing. A rickshaw that makes some exhaust.
With proper gearing it’d tow plenty. Just slowly.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Ice cores, organic samples, a bunch of ways. These have been repeated all over the world to the point of utter redundancy.

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

Contractor installing the cell phone tower further down the ridgeline from my placed used one, it took several 900kg loads up the steep slippery clay track at my place, essentially the same load capacity as the neighbours 1988 hilux ute.

Contractors delivering the cabin last week with a bro dozer 4wd (Holden Colorado, not sure what GMC call it in your country) they only made it up the 1st 150m before giving up.

Farmers love those things around here because they can haul loads where the big wagons can't.
They just suck at highway stuff.
Main problem with them though is they are poorly designed to protect fragile masculinity.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I think the American market has been conditioned over the years so much to expect that any degree of real world performance needs a 6L V8 with this that and the other that many have lost sight of reality, where in basically every other country on the planet (except maybe Australia and Canada) people use far more sensible vehicles to achieve the same outcomes. A big part of the reason the US per-capita CO2 footprint is so damn high.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
“Pickup trucks are a rare sight in Europe or China, but in the United States, they have a long history and an important place in the Passenger Cars Market. They were originally developed as modifications to the Ford Model T and the Ford Model TT by third-party manufacturers, but shortly after, companies like Dodge and Chevrolet followed. The production in the U.S. boomed after the introduction of the so-called “chicken tax” in 1963 banning the import of foreign pickups into the domestic market. Nevertheless, the real game changer was the introduction of the Corporate Average Fuel Economy policy in 1973. While many models from other classes of large passenger vehicles suffered from strict regulations concerning fuel economy, pickup trucks were subject to less stern emission standards. This led to pickups becoming a new favorite performance vehicle class for Americans, only to be challenged relatively recently by the rise of SUVs.”

So shitty regulation combined with a culture of toxic masculine ‘rugged’ individualism has led to a pretty stupid situation.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
When I looked after seeing the neighbors acty, I searched around and found a dude on craigslist out by Lancaster. He imports them, gets them street legal and title, and will get them configured how you want (I guess he imports aftermarket parts too) and sells them for usually about $6-7k all in.
How tough is it to put a real motor in there?
With proper gearing it’d tow plenty. Just slowly.
Proper gearing needs to provide for traveling on roads with other cars tho

The 2wd is equally problematic.

I like the bed size. Just wish the motor would do things. Who wouldnt want a 6k truck?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
“Pickup trucks are a rare sight in Europe or China, but in the United States, they have a long history and an important place in the Passenger Cars Market. They were originally developed as modifications to the Ford Model T and the Ford Model TT by third-party manufacturers, but shortly after, companies like Dodge and Chevrolet followed. The production in the U.S. boomed after the introduction of the so-called “chicken tax” in 1963 banning the import of foreign pickups into the domestic market. Nevertheless, the real game changer was the introduction of the Corporate Average Fuel Economy policy in 1973. While many models from other classes of large passenger vehicles suffered from strict regulations concerning fuel economy, pickup trucks were subject to less stern emission standards. This led to pickups becoming a new favorite performance vehicle class for Americans, only to be challenged relatively recently by the rise of SUVs.”

So shitty regulation combined with a culture of toxic masculine ‘rugged’ individualism has led to a pretty stupid situation.
you would not believe the fucking commercials for those things either.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Look at the Town Ace pick up, its a normal sized vehicle, for a better comparison.

I have shuttled with kei trucks, I am doubtful you could get two motos in the bed and at 660cc displacement power is meh potentially.

My og uzzi hanging off the tailgate with a 66 had maybe a couple inches of ground clearance on the front tire, so vehicle is low.

I like kei trucks, but think they are a dicey proposition for use in freedumb land.

You're assuming it can actually get there at all.

Might get there more dependably using the sled to tow the truck.

spancers, LOL

The beds are actually big enough to use, unlike all the dorky 5ft bed electric trucks being released here....

edit: looks like the last year of production had 4x4, so that's cool. Let the ubran hipster bidding wars begin!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I think the American market has been conditioned over the years so much to expect that any degree of real world performance needs a 6L V8 with this that and the other that many have lost sight of reality, where in basically every other country on the planet (except maybe Australia and Canada) people use far more sensible vehicles to achieve the same outcomes. A big part of the reason the US per-capita CO2 footprint is so damn high.
Yeah, if people must drive big pickup trucks, they should at least opt for more sane and sensible engines. I may actually be stepping down from a 4l v6 to a 3.5l in my next truck, looking at these practical people movers

:D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ice cores, organic samples, a bunch of ways. These have been repeated all over the world to the point of utter redundancy.
I was asking to see if some rando weird guy had a way to actually measure those with his wooden spire or if we were measuring the artifacts in the present time.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

'artists' I do not see

wall street investment banker douches however....

God those things are tiny. Hey @Toshi, do you actually know how big a snowmobile is? I think the only thing those polaris side by side replacements can actually carry is caucasion-ness. I'm not even sure there's enough room for my smugness. And those come as a pair!

Last edited: