Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Like those will work once the headquarters gets raided and they all shut down due to lack of connectivity.

LOL

Those will just be the slalom gates and speed bumps.

And as usual, the prius will reign supreme and present the biggest challenges.

They can be jailbroken by anyone willing to violate their warranty if there still is one. I guess their best protection is that they give you something crappy enough that you will want the regular updates.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm talking to you with a torch cut steel mask, a spikey collar for some reason, no shirt and will kill for gasoline. And there are probably some flames shooting up behind me that serve no discernable purpose. There's some gimp with an appendage called master blaster that we listen to. I don't care about your stupid warranty or updates with a company you bought a driveable i-phone from that won't exist in 5 years.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Am I blind or does Kia not mention estimated mileage anywhere on this page? https://www.kia.ca/en/vehicles/2022/niro/specs#

So what other cars are out there, in this sort of hatch/wagon form, that has decent mileage? And in the same price range.

I leave converting to l/km as an exercise for you, the reader. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I leave converting to l/km as an exercise for you, the reader. :D

Thanks. Why couldn't they just list that info on the product page? To not get in a numbers war with other oem's? :confused:

I'm a simple man and still prefer MPG, even if its technically meaningless up here. MOAR is better amirite?

Also the top 3 cars on that kbb page are stretching what I'd consider a hatch. That trend of sloped trunk lines needs to stop, what practicality is that adding? Kind of defeats the point of having a hatch. :disgust:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Was in the US this weekend. The difference between the amount of electrics on the street in Montreal vs Philadelphia/Delaware is pretty striking. In short, very few out there on the street compared to Montreal.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Also the top 3 cars on that kbb page are stretching what I'd consider a hatch. That trend of sloped trunk lines needs to stop, what practicality is that adding? Kind of defeats the point of having a hatch. :disgust:
Aerodynamics and the resulting fuel efficiency that you are seeking I presume.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As long as it has a 2" hitch and you're not trying to cram a 3rd row of humans under that roofline, why does it really matter?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
RAV4 Hybrid
RAV4 Prime

or even a Highlander Hybrid or Sienna Hybrid!

Kia/Hyundai also have hybrid and PHEV variants of their Sorento/Santa Fe sized CUVs.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
as it has a 2" hitch and you're not trying to cram a 3rd row of humans under that roofline, why does it really matter?
RAV4 Hybrid
RAV4 Prime

or even a Highlander Hybrid or Sienna Hybrid!

Kia/Hyundai also have hybrid and PHEV variants of their Sorento/Santa Fe sized CUVs.
I need to easily fit a bike in the back of whichever vehicle I get, as using a bike rack during the winter is not an option because of salt sprays. Plus if I bring a bike to work, it goes inside the car regardless of season.

I find the easiest way to put a bike in the back, is to have the bars at the rear. Some of those cars with the severely sloped rooflines would make it difficult to load, with the bars sticking up - unless the rear it long enough for the bike to lay flat.

3rd row of humans? Pfft. I haven't used the rear seats in my car in like 3 years. Can I opt out of rear seats to save some cash? :busted:

RAV4 Hybrid - starts at $33350 which is outside of my realistic price range. :(
RAV4 Prime - even more so, starts at $45000 here.

Highland & Sienna, too big for what I need. Plus the cost of starting at $44750 and $41050 respectively.

I actually like the Kia Carnival van, but I wish it was a little friendlier on the wallet with more barebones configuration and better gas mileage rating.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ford Transit Connect
Ram Promaster City

Both are cheap boxes in which you could stuff y0re junks.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Was in the US this weekend. The difference between the amount of electrics on the street in Montreal vs Philadelphia/Delaware is pretty striking. In short, very few out there on the street compared to Montreal.
Currently in the UK, most vehicles are still cars, not all blob SUV's and still very few pickups - but more than I've seen before.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Am I blind or does Kia not mention estimated mileage anywhere on this page? https://www.kia.ca/en/vehicles/2022/niro/specs#

So what other cars are out there, in this sort of hatch/wagon form, that has decent mileage? And in the same price range.
1652795847295.png

source: https://fcr-ccc.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca/en

edited to add: you can do a search by vehicle class. your search would be for all vehicles in the "station wagon" class...
1652796045740.png

edited again to add:
1652798096446.png

so at current prices (I paid $2.08 yesterday...), the $/yr would be over 2x the their calculated price. That's a big difference when you compare the conventional fuel to battery electric vehicle (looking at the Niro you're looking at $1,840/yr for gas vs. $484/yr for the Niro EV). Which doesn't factor in the 0g/km of CO2 from the EV vs. 110g/km of CO2 of the gas car.

aaaaaand one last edit! I'm really impressed at how efficient the Niro gas car is. No other vehicle with a hatch seems to even come close. That's pretty cool. My mom picks up her Soul plug-in hybrid today, and depending on how far you drive, the Niro gas could wind up being more fuel efficient...

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
there's a reason there's so many EVs in QC:
1652796795059.png

worth noting those incentives are stackable with the federal $5000 incentive...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Anything hidden anywhere for hybrid vehicles?
Well, Ontario has fuck all... (and given the polls, it looks like we won't be getting any better than fuck all for another 4 years...).

The federal program provides up to $5k for battery electric and plug-in hybrids that have an electric range greater than 50km...

"PHEVs with an electric range of 50 km or more will be eligible for $5,000, and those under this threshold will continue to be eligible for $2,500."
(source: https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/innovative-technologies/zero-emission-vehicles/list-eligible-vehicles-under-izev-program)

I think even used cars now qualify for a rebate of some sort, but I'm not sure if that extends to hybrids or not...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well, Ontario has fuck all... (and given the polls, it looks like we won't be getting any better than fuck all for another 4 years...).

The federal program provides up to $5k for battery electric and plug-in hybrids that have an electric range greater than 50km...

"PHEVs with an electric range of 50 km or more will be eligible for $5,000, and those under this threshold will continue to be eligible for $2,500."
(source: https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/innovative-technologies/zero-emission-vehicles/list-eligible-vehicles-under-izev-program)

I think even used cars now qualify for a rebate of some sort, but I'm not sure if that extends to hybrids or not...
Cool thanks. I have yet to start browsing used vehicles, as when I looked a while back there really wasn't anything. And the prices, yikes.

Buying a used EV is such an unknown to me, it's a little scary. Maybe I watch too much Rich Rebuilds on YouTube. :rofl:

Also being in a rental house and working somewhere that has zero EV chargers, it's a little persuading to go the hybrid route. And the cost of EVs is too much for us folk at the bottom of the food chain.

I need to go check out that Kia and see if a bike will even fit in the back.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Its too bad Mazda doesn't have something like the old Mazda 5 in a hybrid version. That'd be perfect, even if it is a mini-mini van.

Or Kia Rondo...

Or the Hyundai Elantra GT hatch...

Or the old Hyundai Touring...

Or the Toyota Corrola hybrid, but in hatch form...

When did VW stop offering the regular Golf? All I see now on VW Canada's site is the GTI and Rrrrrrrr.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My very crafty buddy made a nice charger setup at his house for pretty cheap. It was also unintrusive. It's interesting to compare/contrast one friend who truly has more money than any one person needs vs one who is creative and budget conscious ($200k GTR build vs $60k GTR build). One pre-ordered the Plaid, the other bought off lease Type S Performance.

FB_IMG_1652801786784.jpg

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Its too bad Mazda doesn't have something like the old Mazda 5 in a hybrid version. That'd be perfect, even if it is a mini-mini van.

Or Kia Rondo...

Or the Hyundai Elantra GT hatch...

Or the old Hyundai Touring...

Or the Toyota Corrola hybrid, but in hatch form...

When did VW stop offering the regular Golf? All I see now on VW Canada's site is the GTI and Rrrrrrrr.
Sounds like you want a Prius V, except they killed it, so maybe you want a used Prius V? Or a portal to a parallel universe where compact practical cars are still compact and practical

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sounds like you want a Prius V, except they killed it, so maybe you want a used Prius V? Or a portal to a parallel universe where compact practical cars are still compact and practical
Yeah a Prius V would be perfect. A friend had one and he could fit his bike in the back without taking a wheel off. And it was reliable for him.

When did they stop making it? If I recall the last time I looked, there was zero available within 500km.

Maybe I should just got an electric golf cart...

But yeah, definitely living in the wrong universe wanting something compact and practical. :busted:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My very crafty buddy made a nice charger setup at his house for pretty cheap. It was also unintrusive. It's interesting to compare/contrast one friend who truly has more money than any one person needs vs one who is creative and budget conscious ($200k GTR build vs $60k GTR build). One pre-ordered the Plaid, the other bought off lease Type S Performance.

View attachment 176509
I think @canadmos' problem has more to do with the fact that many rental properties don't allow you to install an EV charger, let alone even plug into a standard outlet to trickle charge.

It's one of those roadblocks that's really frustrating for those of us working to accelerate the switch. Building codes and municipal by-laws take a really long time to change and update. Let alone people's perceptions...

those are nice vehicles btw... just out of curiosity, do the Teslas still outperform the GTRs? I'm guessing not, but you never know...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Yeah a Prius V would be perfect. A friend had one and he could fit his bike in the back without taking a wheel off. And it was reliable for him.

When did they stop making it? If I recall the last time I looked, there was zero available within 500km.

Maybe I should just got an electric golf cart...

But yeah, definitely living in the wrong universe wanting something compact and practical. :busted:
Actually, have you looked at the Lexus CT200? Those are shockingly reasonably priced around here, and a more traditionally hatch shaped version of the Prius. Full Prius drivetrain so they should last 300K miles+