Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think @canadmos' problem has more to do with the fact that many rental properties don't allow you to install an EV charger, let alone even plug into a standard outlet to trickle charge.

It's one of those roadblocks that's really frustrating for those of us working to accelerate the switch. Building codes and municipal by-laws take a really long time to change and update. Let alone people's perceptions...

those are nice vehicles btw... just out of curiosity, do the Teslas still outperform the GTRs? I'm guessing not, but you never know...
Jeff's GTR is 1280bhp on E95 fuel and says the Plaid is noticably faster. All he did to the Plaid was wheels and tires. The GTR has $75k worth of transmission and $85k worth of engine work that I'm aware of.

So the Plaid was less than the GTR upgrades. Plus the price of a base GTR for said upgrades, it makes the case.

I would be interested in a cost breakdown of the charger install vs having E95 delivered and stored at your house?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Jeff's GTR is 1280bhp on E95 fuel and says the Plaid is noticably faster. All he did to the Plaid was wheels and tires. The GTR has $75k worth of transmission and $85k worth of engine work that I'm aware of.

So the Plaid was less than the GTR upgrades. Plus the price of a base GTR for said upgrades, it makes the case.

I would be interested in a cost breakdown of the charger install vs having E95 delivered and stored at your house?
had a hard time deciding between informative and fancy. went with fancy.

does he really need to have the E95 delivered and stored at his house?!

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I really want to buy a fuel tank and have fuel delivered like the farmers do. I love buying in bulk and not haveing to go to a fuel station would be awesome.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
had a hard time deciding between informative and fancy. went with fancy.

does he really need to have the E95 delivered and stored at his house?!
Where can you get it in town? He runs all his cars on it. When I asked where he found it, he sent me a picture of the tank in his shop. Apparently if you are tuned for it, it's almost as good as race gas.

<edit> maybe it's E98 he's running? I'll have to check..

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Where can you get it in town?
I don't know! that's why I asked. Never looked into it.

He runs all his cars on it. When I asked where he found it, he sent me a picture of the tank in his shop. Apparently if you are tuned for it, it's almost as good as race gas.
I thought the big problem with ethanol is that it dissolves grease and oil, so it really cleans, and then strips all lubrification from engines. It must take quite a bit of work to prep all his cars for it... Impressive though, good on him!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't know! that's why I asked. Never looked into it.

I thought the big problem with ethanol is that it dissolves grease and oil, so it really cleans, and then strips all lubrification from engines. It must take quite a bit of work to prep all his cars for it... Impressive though, good on him!
He makes it sound like it's mostly about the tuning to get the most from it. Of course all his cars autotune based on ethenol content, but he pretty much just fills up at home.

He bought himself a Model 3 just before he ordered the Plaid, so I'm not sure he has been driving his petrol care much.

I know he fired up the Subaru ($25k billet engine block), but I don't think that has left the shop yet.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
He makes it sound like it's mostly about the tuning to get the most from it. Of course all his cars autotune based on ethenol content, but he pretty much just fills up at home.

You can make a lot more power on ethanol, efficiency sucks, but the power is awesome. E90 is what I've see most often, but even that depends on the exact blend, most guys tune on 1 particular brand of fuel and only run that.

I can't wait for dudes like your friend to start tweeking on their Plaid Teslas, those are going to be insane, traction is going to be a bit of a problem though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah a Prius V would be perfect. A friend had one and he could fit his bike in the back without taking a wheel off. And it was reliable for him.

When did they stop making it? If I recall the last time I looked, there was zero available within 500km.

Maybe I should just got an electric golf cart...

But yeah, definitely living in the wrong universe wanting something compact and practical. :busted:
I rented a prius V, only way that's happening is a kids 20" bike IME. I couldn't stand the ergonomics, having the driving information in the center of the car and some of it actually on the right side, like the CC armed notification. Kind of an ergonomic disaster IMO, trying to make it different for the sake of difference and notoriety, vs. something like Tesla that is doing it for ergonimcs.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You can make a lot more power on ethanol, efficiency sucks, but the power is awesome. E90 is what I've see most often, but even that depends on the exact blend, most guys tune on 1 particular brand of fuel and only run that.

I can't wait for dudes like your friend to start tweeking on their Plaid Teslas, those are going to be insane, traction is going to be a bit of a problem though.
Yeah, I think everyone is waiting to see what he does. His usual move is to slap one or more big ass turbos on it, but that doesn't work here. :rofl:

He's also a tech genius (building his own supercomputer from scratch) and has serious connections in both automotive and tech industries. Not to mention the whole more money than God thing.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the thought of a plaid tesla hitting a bridge abutment at warp stupid warms my heart....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I rented a prius V, only way that's happening is a kids 20" bike IME. I couldn't stand the ergonomics, having the driving information in the center of the car and some of it actually on the right side, like the CC armed notification. Kind of an ergonomic disaster IMO, trying to make it different for the sake of difference and notoriety, vs. something like Tesla that is doing it for ergonimcs.
Are you sure that was a Prius V? Or maybe I have his model confused..

My friends Prius is quite cavernous in the back and sort of like my matrix, the rear seats fold down to reveal a totally flat deck.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Are you sure that was a Prius V? Or maybe I have his model confused..

My friends Prius is quite cavernous in the back and sort of like my matrix, the rear seats fold down to reveal a totally flat deck.
Pretty sure it was a V, but now I have some doubts. I thought it was quite large in the back when it could take my Evoc bag, my giant checked bag and my carry-on stuff. I find that "real" wheels-on vehicles are pretty rare. My Honda Pilot could do it. The GMC Envoy I used for work over the weekend could not. Most mid to full size wagons cannot IME, unless they are some super monstrous thing from 1970s.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Prius V is a Prius Prime/regular with a high roofline and I believe a bit longer so yeah, super roomy, but maybe not wheels on the 29er roomy. Prius C is tiny.

My old roommate had a Prius that was an epic parts hauler. $17 in gas to get to bum-fuck nowhere, throw an Ls3 in the back and head home. So many confused looks when we pulled up in a Prius to buy off-road parts. I always thought they should have made a panel van version of the V, based on how useful the regular one was, a true tiny-van would have been legit.

Shit, am I really excited about Priusesses? FML

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Prius V is a Prius Prime/regular with a high roofline and I believe a bit longer so yeah, super roomy, but maybe not wheels on the 29er roomy. Prius C is tiny.

My old roommate had a Prius that was an epic parts hauler. $17 in gas to get to bum-fuck nowhere, throw an Ls3 in the back and head home. So many confused looks when we pulled up in a Prius to buy off-road parts. I always thought they should have made a panel van version of the V, based on how useful the regular one was, a true tiny-van would have been legit.

The mileage I got in DFW was pretty damn impressive out of an ICE. I never expected to see an average around 50.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The mileage I got in DFW was pretty damn impressive out of an ICE. I never expected to see an average around 50.
i believe when my younger brother and his ex wife rented a prius when they first came out drove from denver to gaston county nc and back on three tanks of gas drafting semi's the whole way...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Out riding with wifey yesterday and a transit connect went past us, I commented I'd love an electric one of them.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Out riding with wifey yesterday and a transit connect went past us, I commented I'd love an electric one of them.
Im assuming one is in the works, probably going to share all the underpinnings of the eventual Maverick EV. Fleet vehicles don’t have the same profit margins as CUVs and trucks so it won’t happen until the Mach E and Lightning sales cool down.

Whoever comes up with the right small fleet vehicle in terms of size, range and options is going clean up. All that DC power on hand opens up some cool possibilities for refrigeration/heat, powering carpet cleaners, catering equipment etc.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
In NZ we can get the LDV version of a Transit in electric, not too shabby.
I've had a good look at those (I was looking at one for the business).
Really shit finishing on it, not Tata level crude, but not far off it.
Range was strictly "around town only" when I was looking at them 3 years ago.
It wouldn't have handled dropping off a fleet of bikes at Maymorn then collecting them from Cross Creek in the 'rapa and return to the shop.
It's a pity about the range because otherwise I'd have taken a punt on one.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Translating Euro prices to US isn’t that simple. They include VAT and often are a bit higher even after accounting for that.

I predict $50-65k range for the LWB passenger version, which is fine accounting for tax credits and lack of comparable options.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Translating Euro prices to US isn’t that simple. They include VAT and often are a bit higher even after accounting for that.

I predict $50-65k range for the LWB passenger version, which is fine accounting for tax credits and lack of comparable options.
I am pretty sure this numbers are the final prices including delivery fees and such. They have to stay below 65K, otherwise you won't get any of the incentives, tax breaks, etc.
This also seems to be the first kinda special edition as it is rumored that in the beginning of sales there won't be much customization possible.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am pretty sure this numbers are the final prices including delivery fees and such. They have to stay below 65K, otherwise you won't get any of the incentives, tax breaks, etc.
This also seems to be the first kinda special edition as it is rumored that in the beginning of sales there won't be much customization possible.
Yeah, final for Europe. But extrapolating from that to US prices is the iffy part.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Right car looks more like a Lamborghini Aventador (S Roadster perhaps of 2018ish vintage?)

Left car might be a Ferrari, but I don't think its a 458 or F8 Spider? 488 Spider?

Probably an easy $900k to $1 million in Canadian pesos sitting there. :dead:

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Right car looks more like a Lamborghini Aventador (S Roadster perhaps of 2018ish vintage?)

Left car might be a Ferrari, but I don't think its a 458 or F8 Spider? 488 Spider?

Probably an easy $900k to $1 million in Canadian pesos sitting there. :dead:
You should see the house!