Quantcast

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
is there ev mining equipment..?
These guys — https://ffi.com.au/ — are building Green Hydrogen powered everything, including starting with those massive dump trucks. Batteries are too heavy for this application. They are using batteries in an ‘Infinity train’ though; their mine is higher than their port, empty train uses batteries to climb the hill, filled with 40KT of iron ore, coasts down hill and regeneratively more than charges up the batteries.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
These guys — https://ffi.com.au/ — are building Green Hydrogen powered everything, including starting with those massive dump trucks. Batteries are too heavy for this application. They are using batteries in an ‘Infinity train’ though; their mine is higher than their port, empty train uses batteries to climb the hill, filled with 40KT of iron ore, coasts down hill and regeneratively more than charges up the batteries.
How do you know if the H2 going into them is "green"?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
How do you know if the H2 going into them is "green"?
In general, there are a couple of fairly easy tests one can do to determine what impurities and/or isotope ratios exist in a sample that paint a very accurate picture of provenance. In this case, these guys are making their own, and they are building a huge production plant in Tasmania IIRC.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In general, there are a couple of fairly easy tests one can do to determine what impurities and/or isotope ratios exist in a sample that paint a very accurate picture of provenance. In this case, these guys are making their own, and they are building a huge production plant in Tasmania IIRC.
Your implication is that these are "green H2" devices, but I'm sorry for being an idiot, could they not be just as easily powered by "non-green" H2? What about these makes them different than the same piece of equipment designed for "non-green" H2? Is there an actual difference?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Your implication is that these are "green H2" devices, but I'm sorry for being an idiot, could they not be just as easily powered by "non-green" H2? What about these makes them different than the same piece of equipment designed for "non-green" H2? Is there an actual difference?
Oh yes, absolutely. There is no difference. You could of course power these with non-green hydrogen. You just don’t.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I'm in the market for a new family car that will hold 2 adults, 3 kids, 1 (or more) dogs, and luggage. Roof rack and/or ability to easily mount a hitch is a plus. No mini vans, because goddamnit, I'm still cool no matter what anyone else says. A used Highlander is at the top of the list right now, followed by a new one. This will primarily be driven by the wife, mostly to and from school/grocery store, but it will also be our "road trip" vehicle. Anyone have any suggestions?

The Infiniti QX60 can be found used for cheap all day long around here, but that probably says I should avoid it. Wife doesn't like the Nissan Pathfinder, so that's out. Anybody have experience with the Atlas?

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I'm in the market for a new family car that will hold 2 adults, 3 kids, 1 (or more) dogs, and luggage. Roof rack and/or ability to easily mount a hitch is a plus. No mini vans, because goddamnit, I'm still cool no matter what anyone else says. A used Highlander is at the top of the list right now, followed by a new one. This will primarily be driven by the wife, mostly to and from school/grocery store, but it will also be our "road trip" vehicle. Anyone have any suggestions?

The Infiniti QX60 can be found used for cheap all day long around here, but that probably says I should avoid it. Wife doesn't like the Nissan Pathfinder, so that's out. Anybody have experience with the Atlas?
I know you said no. Buuuut, brother-in-law has a Toyota Sienna. It’s pretty nice. Drives really nice, lots of room.
I’m in the van camp but my wife is very anti-van. So I get you on that.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Get a minivan, you dolt. :D
I know you said no. Buuuut, brother-in-law has a Toyota Sienna. It’s pretty nice. Drives really nice, lots of room.
I don't actually have a problem with a van; you can't beat the utility. No regrets from everyone I know that finally gave in and bought one. It's the wife who refuses. Maybe actually driving one would change her mind, though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I don't actually have a problem with a van; you can't beat the utility. No regrets from everyone I know that finally gave in and bought one. It's the wife who refuses. Maybe actually driving one would change her mind, though.
This must be the female equivalent of dudes buying brodozers? :D

Oh - and congrats. And NFW you're going to have room for 3 kids, a dog, and luggage in a Highlander.

Get the van...

1653747993005.png

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
This must be the female equivalent of dudes buying brodozers? :D

Oh - and congrats. And NFW you're going to have room for 3 kids, a dog, and luggage in a Highlander.

Get the van...
Thanks!

My wife is usually the first one to make fun of dudes in comically, unnecessarily lifted trucks. She dislikes mini vans because reasons...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I like minivans. Our PHEV Pacifica has been good, except for when it stranded me. Siennas are all hybrid now, and AWD available.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

having road tripped the nissan equivalent of the infiniti last year i spent about a grand in gas over a two week trip up the calfornia coast last year...when gas was cheap.

would not take it for free...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
having road tripped the nissan equivalent of the infiniti last year i spent about a grand in gas over a two week trip up the calfornia coast last year...when gas was cheap.

would not take it for free...
Plus that has the CVT a la the Pathfinder. Nonono.

And @stoney can vouch for the quality of their dashboard, too.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California

Our Murano has a CVT, and while I personally am not a fan of how it behaves, it’s been problem free for 100,000 miles. The wife doesn’t seem to mind, or even notice. Since it won’t be me driving it 95% of the time, I won’t rule out a CVT unless the newer generations are problem-prone.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

JX6O/QX60 Two (maybe three) failed infotainment systems. Failed master brake cylinder (thankfully on me and not Wifey). Bunch of other shit, all under warranty. I will never own another Nissan product. Ever.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Highlander was high on my list but the wife loves the CR-V. But it's just us the the dogs, maybe Lil Man. If we needed more room then it would likely be the Highlander hybrid.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
oddly enough...older brothers 1st year vw atlas has been flawless....only had a battery replaced under warranty i think....

both kids 13-14 in the 5'8 to 5'10 range fit in the backseat with room to spare and the 85lb rhodesian ridgeback hangs in the cargo area but has been known to weasel his way into the backseat.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's like a crappy side by side that can only fit one fat person.
It's crazy how close to 'side by side' old dune buggies were. Thank god a company like honda never fully developed them. Gave us a good 30 years of being free of the things before polaris picked it up :D

We've got a polaris general (more utility version of a razor) and god that thing makes work better on roads that aren't roads anymore. But damn the world was a better place before...well, you know.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Two ferraris in the driveway. Anyone know what these are?

View attachment 176657
And now in the daylight.

B9D50ABA-1926-4CFD-AAD1-AF446C07A152.jpeg
75BAA398-D19C-4DFF-9547-C3B9836FEC64.jpeg

Saw 4 ferraris today. People love their fancy cars in this town! Also ran into an old race car driver who was vacuuming a malibu in his driveway when we rode past. His collection was amazing, and he had one down to the chassis that he was restoring. Fave was the 1973 e-type though!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Track event this weekend. It's a 2x a year event hundreds of miles from anywhere at an abandoned airfield, except it's not really abandoned (it's a forest service tanker base) and the surface is all F-ed up. People have been telling me for a while "you gotta go to xxx", "it's where you can really stretch the legs of your car and get to high speeds on a track". Well, it's a shitfest. It's a bro-shitfest actually. Lots of bro-dozers pulling trailers because the surface is so F-ed up you can't really run a production car on it, you are going to break things. Not that you wouldn't break things at a track event, that's normal...it's just the % chance of breaking shit is way up there, it's like riding SoMo DH trails on an XC bike. Safety was a joke compared to the other events I go to, but this is run by a totally different organization. It was mostly a bro-fest with people drinking themselves to sleep each night and diesel trucks running next to your tent for hours on end because the dumbass forgot to bring a warm sleeping bag. It's ok if you got a built race-car, trailer, tools, tires to burn up, but this isn't what it was cracked up to be, at least from everyone that was hyping this up. Will not repeat. Pictures coming.

B89678ED-6FD4-4B7C-A5F0-A0D19FBD3C33.jpeg
A0E994D1-FF46-4BD5-A3B2-BAC08FAFE22C.jpeg
D5E19A03-216A-45F7-98BB-01646890FF9E.jpeg
F4834B14-8B0A-4688-8A32-4BC6FEB4FCD1.jpeg
43356EAF-ED65-47D3-AE48-7EFDDCBF562B.jpeg
5D62CDD4-35D6-47E6-88AE-6E18C4DE6FAC.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^

had a neighbor in virginia who had a 240z parked in the cul de sac slowly returning to earth....

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Get a minivan, you dolt. :D
I like minivans. Our PHEV Pacifica has been good, except for when it stranded me. Siennas are all hybrid now, and AWD available.
Just call it a man van instead.
So, let me make sure I understand this..... I should get a mini-van? :D:clue:

Hybrid option would be nice. Maybe I'll nudge the wife into taking a look at a Sienna if there's any available around here.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
It's crazy how close to 'side by side' old dune buggies were. Thank god a company like honda never fully developed them. Gave us a good 30 years of being free of the things before polaris picked it up :D

We've got a polaris general (more utility version of a razor) and god that thing makes work better on roads that aren't roads anymore. But damn the world was a better place before...well, you know.
I built three dune buggies back in the late 90’s early 2000’s. Well I bought my first one and it was sooooo bad. Corvair engine/rear suspension with be front and pencil sized tubing. But it was rad and I was young. Next was a very powered one but it didn’t have enough suspension for me so I built a mid travel Saturn powered one. That one was fun, but I got in trouble and had to sell it.

now I got a Honda sxs. It’s got a transmission so that’s cool. I think a real buggy is better in the sand though. Sxs feels so tippy. My neighbor has a Polaris general for his 5 acres. But he can only drive it part of it though. It’s got a spool rear end so it makes tons of dust and tears up the ground. Doesn’t have a great turning radius, is noisy, and looks hard to get in and out of. Also was probably 20k plus. Meanwhile my electric golf cart with a truck bed gets more work done than anybody else’s machine around here. I attribute it too it’s ease of use, you get in and hit the pedal, it’s quiet because it’s electric. It tows, has a truck bed, dogs love it, ms junkyard loves it, kids drive it. All for a whopping 1000 bucks.

How did they convince every home owner out here in the country they need a 20k sxs for their 5 acre lot? yet I can’t find a Yamaha umax this side of the Mississippi.

the days of buggies and golf carts made so much more sense.