Quantcast

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nah you use a chopper to move it to photo worthy spots.

It does look like there is a chassis under it so maybe it has some bags or something to raise it up......?
It looks pretty pointless anyway.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Went to a Kia dealership today to enquire about a hybrid Niro and got told to leave pretty much.

Went to Toyota beside it and got a little bit more of a conversation going. Discovered the Carolla Cross, which seems decent for what I'm look for. And there will be a hybrid model coming......soon? I drove one and it felt funny, then read after that it only comes with a CVT. Think the hybrid will have a CVT as well or a proper automatic?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Went to a Kia dealership today to enquire about a hybrid Niro and got told to leave pretty much.

Went to Toyota beside it and got a little bit more of a conversation going. Discovered the Carolla Cross, which seems decent for what I'm look for. And there will be a hybrid model coming......soon? I drove one and it felt funny, then read after that it only comes with a CVT. Think the hybrid will have a CVT as well or a proper automatic?

The days of old slush boxes are probably numbered. For high HP applications they are still pretty established, but CVT is definitely the trend elsewhere.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Think the hybrid will have a CVT as well or a proper automatic?

Most of the Toyota hybrids are the two motor TRW design (shared by Ford and Chrysler among others). They're technically CVTs but feel good, not like the belt ones on Subarus or Nissans.

(Some odd beasts they have also made, like the Tundra and LS hybrid setups, the latter a two motor + a 4 speed regular slushbox, iirc.)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Most of the Toyota hybrids are the two motor TRW design (shared by Ford and Chrysler among others). They're technically CVTs but feel good, not like the belt ones on Subarus or Nissans.

(Some odd beasts they have also made, like the Tundra and LS hybrid setups, the latter a two motor + a 4 speed regular slushbox, iirc.)
Maybe it just felt slow for how much noise the engine made.

I didn't even know this car existed, have never seen one on the road and I swear it wasn't on Toyota's website when I looked last week.

It seems promising but it'll be interesting to see what the cost will be for the hybrid. Sounds like the hybrid will be AWD only. Interior space appears to be a nice sideways move from the Matrix, though it does have a step in the floor where the seats fold down.

One thing I don't like about Toyota is their base models almost all come with steel wheels.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Maybe it just felt slow for how much noise the engine made.

I didn't even know this car existed, have never seen one on the road and I swear it wasn't on Toyota's website when I looked last week.

It seems promising but it'll be interesting to see what the cost will be for the hybrid. Sounds like the hybrid will be AWD only. Interior space appears to be a nice sideways move from the Matrix, though it does have a step in the floor where the seats fold down.

One thing I don't like about Toyota is their base models almost all come with steel wheels.
that's the annoying thing about cvt hybrids. love most things about my accord hybrid but hate the stupid noise and fake revs when you try to power up a hill, etc.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

just call it highlander jr....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I generally hate CVTs, especially my wife's Subaru, but the execution in the Toyota hybrids is really good. I think the hybrid motor helps with low end torque which reduces the groaning and rubber band-y sensation. Toyota makes a high quality product so perhaps them just figuring everything out helps.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
*Edit......It's a Lightning, that is the going rate. The added stuff from the dealer is dumb.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Dumbasses who follow through with this and buy it need to fuck off.
90% of these that you will see on the road in the next few weeks will be sold for that. Have you seen what the new Hummers are selling for :disgust1:
We have a guy here who just had his Lightning show up from the factory yesterday. He is paying D plan pricing for it and can resell it after 6 months. He will make $70k after using it for the next 6 months. :banghead:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I like the idea of a Lightning for $35k and I could even justify that. But I'll be damned if I'm paying over MSRP and I'm definitely not buying a first production year rig.