Quantcast

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
90% of these that you will see on the road in the next few weeks will be sold for that. Have you seen what the new Hummers are selling for :disgust1:
We have a guy here who just had his Lightning show up from the factory yesterday. He is paying D plan pricing for it and can resell it after 6 months. He will make $70k after using it for the next 6 months. :banghead:
or not use it and sell it for more in mint condition

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If it was stored for winters it might be an ok idea.
its fairly common for convertibles in this region, but the older they get the bigger a question mark it is

fwiw this wouldn't be a daily driver, and wouldn't be replacing either of the cars we already have. local driving only.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
how bad of an idea is an early to mid 00s bmw convertible?
My understanding of the 0X BMWs is to expect to be constantly replacing shit and chasing down gremlins, but at this stage all of the gremlins are well known and documented (and sometimes preventable). I'm guessing it's a 3 series which means cooling system (made of plastic), some other plastic engine bits, and plastic cracking in the interior.

I would 100% buy one as a weekend car- they are great drivers and fairly robust outside of the typical issues. I don't know if I would daily it (and I know you're not intending on doing so), but for something to rip up back roads with the kids in the back, it would be a good time. I would get a 330ci ZHP if you can find one. The last two digits indicate engine size, and 3.0 i6 had a bit more pep than the 2.5L. ZHP was a handling package. A regular 330ci would also be pretty neat.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My understanding of the 0X BMWs is to expect to be constantly replacing shit and chasing down gremlins, but at this stage all of the gremlins are well known and documented (and sometimes preventable). I'm guessing it's a 3 series which means cooling system (made of plastic), some other plastic engine bits, and plastic cracking in the interior.

I would 100% buy one as a weekend car- they are great drivers and fairly robust outside of the typical issues. I don't know if I would daily it (and I know you're not intending on doing so), but for something to rip up back roads with the kids in the back, it would be a good time. I would get a 330ci ZHP if you can find one. The last two digits indicate engine size, and 3.0 i6 had a bit more pep than the 2.5L. ZHP was a handling package. A regular 330ci would also be pretty neat.
see, you get it. thats all id use it for. probably wouldn't put more than a few thousand miles on a year.

and thanks for the info.

there's an '01 330ci with about 109k on the clock locally, asking is about $9k. from the pics it looks in good shape. not sure if thats normal pricing or covid pricing.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
see, you get it. thats all id use it for. probably wouldn't put more than a few thousand miles on a year.

and thanks for the info.

there's an '01 330ci with about 109k on the clock locally, asking is about $9k. from the pics it looks in good shape. not sure if thats normal pricing or covid pricing.
Probably needs gaskets.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

The saving grace of older German cars, or British ones for that matter, is that people love them so all the quirks/problems are known and there's tons of knowledge on how to fix them.

@jonKranked I hate convertibles with a passion, so I'd buy an e46 coupe because I think it's the best looking modern BMW by a longshot. If you're dead set on a convertible, I guess go for it, at least you know I'll never ask for a ride. Crappy plastic cooling bits are that generation Bimmer's Achilles heal, so I'd plan on replacing all the plastic on day 1 of ownership, and every few years after that, if aftermarket aluminum parts are available, do that. Failure to replace them snowballs into overheating and blowing engines when a radiator elbow shits the bed.

I haven't bought a 90's Benz in a while, but I always try to buy them through the couple good indy mechanics I know, they know who's got well maintained cars because they do the maintenance, and they know which of their customers want to sell. I've never not been able to find a car that way, and never been burned. You probably have a local BMW or Euro shop that can find you a car, or that maybe has one sitting there they'd like to sell. Worth the minor cost to go that route if you can.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Are the 1970s still considered "modern" though? Pre 2000s BMWs were mostly great looking, and sorry to the old folks amongst us, but even 2000 was a long time ago.
my cut off year for bmw is probably around 2004...for the 5 series....early 90's for the 3 series....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@jonKranked I hate convertibles with a passion, so I'd buy an e46 coupe because I think it's the best looking modern BMW by a longshot. If you're dead set on a convertible, I guess go for it, at least you know I'll never ask for a ride. Crappy plastic cooling bits are that generation Bimmer's Achilles heal, so I'd plan on replacing all the plastic on day 1 of ownership, and every few years after that, if aftermarket aluminum parts are available, do that. Failure to replace them snowballs into overheating and blowing engines when a radiator elbow shits the bed.
that's the thing - i'm specifically after a convertible moreso than a bmw, but i've always liked the e46 gen so i figure why not both? my wife had a convertible back when we lived in LA (and before we were married), sold it when we moved back east. and have always talked about getting another one at some point.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
why not ?

Seriously though, I debated a 330i (sedan) for a daily. Too much risk but it was decked out with 6spd manual and all the fixins. My former CEO had an E46 M3 that he let me drive- very engaging. Not terribly fast but a joy to drive. Modern CUVs are faster and easier to drive fast, but if I wanted a car to entertain myself and the kids but not track, it would be a 330CI vert.

The 01 likely comes with a 5spd, the only difference is apparently an overdrive gear which is nice to have on the highway...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

and thanks for the info.

PPI. Pay the $150 to have BMW do an inspection.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
that's the thing - i'm specifically after a convertible moreso than a bmw, but i've always liked the e46 gen so i figure why not both? my wife had a convertible back when we lived in LA (and before we were married), sold it when we moved back east. and have always talked about getting another one at some point.
Definitely buy an e46 then, if the stupid rag top is a must, you may as well have it attached to a good chassis. Can't think of anything other than e46 or CLK that would be better and in the same kind of price range.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Seriously though, I debated a 330i (sedan) for a daily. Too much risk but it was decked out with 6spd manual and all the fixins. My former CEO had an E46 M3 that he let me drive- very engaging. Not terribly fast but a joy to drive. Modern CUVs are faster and easier to drive fast, but if I wanted a car to entertain myself and the kids but not track, it would be a 330CI vert.

The 01 likely comes with a 5spd, the only difference is apparently an overdrive gear which is nice to have on the highway...
///M /= standard model. I have had the chance to drive an e43 330i back to back with an e43 M3, and same with an e39 560 vs. my e39 M5. They are in all aspects, different cars; I would not compare them to one another.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Definitely buy an e46 then, if the stupid rag top is a must, you may as well have it attached to a good chassis. Can't think of anything other than e46 or CLK that would be better and in the same kind of price range.
Solara.