Quantcast

gonefirefightin

free wieners
View attachment 157339

Road trip!

Unless they don't count ECM tuning out of emissions stuff to fall into emissions equipment removal. Which maybe? Would be an odd distinction to make.

You'd still have to find or make your exhaust stuff and EGR block off. Not a huge obstacle though I suppose. Though your link only covers up to 2018 Gladiators, and I can't speak to the ECM compatibility between 2018s and 2020 or 2021s.
Its only an 8 hour drive to the border for french fries and gravy so not an issue. The engine is the same 3.0 eco diesel that has been in the ram pickups, cherokees and other dodge/jeep offerings for the last 5 years or so and nothing has changed on the engine itself. After spending a few hours in the forums and on youtube I have seen properly geared drivetrains on 40's putting out more than 320 hp on the dynos.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Its only an 8 hour drive to the border for french fries and gravy so not an issue. The engine is the same 3.0 eco diesel that has been in the ram pickups, cherokees and other dodge/jeep offerings for the last 5 years or so and nothing has changed on the engine itself. After spending a few hours in the forums and on youtube I have seen properly geared drivetrains on 40's putting out more than 320 hp on the dynos.
Sounds like you're on top of it then. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the fairly recent issues with deleting. I still see quite a few people inquiring without realizing the headache it's become.

Either way, a Gladiator on tons and 40s will be sweet. Dynatrac, Teraflex, or Currie?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Sounds like you're on top of it then. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the fairly recent issues with deleting. I still see quite a few people inquiring without realizing the headache it's become.

Either way, a Gladiator on tons and 40s will be sweet. Dynatrac, Teraflex, or Currie?
Been waiting for the tech to prove itself before jumping in. always tuned every diesel I have owned and never had any issues.

As far as axles go,

Neither of them, go big or go home right? I want to be able to actually flog it when desired

crashmtb

Chimp
Dec 14, 2020
Test drove a turbo diesel gladiator today and am very impressed, torque for days and very short spool up. Now researching the possibilities of deletes and engine mods before I pull the trigger on a sport level Gladiator.
Banks has stuff on the way. Shouldn’t need to delete anything.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
@gonefirefightin Doing it right! I’d love to see what motos will go in the bed of that Jeep.
I always thought a CJ6 would be fun or an HJ47
Since I will be flat towing this beeeyotch behind the Coach I will prob haul my 2019 BMW GSA and the 2019 KTM 500 EXC-f most of the time. They are the two bikes I use the most anymore.

2021-02-23(6).jpg

2021-02-23(11).jpg

Banks has stuff on the way. Shouldn’t need to delete anything.
If it doesn't have a delete, I dont want it. The whole point of the process is to get rid of the pointless and useless garbage EPA mandates. The whole EGR/DEF concept is merely a band aid on a broken leg of poor metrics and an after thought of engineering to appease oversight. The whole concept is actually worse for engine reliability and longevity and service managers will even tell you that but cant do it themselves.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Since I will be flat towing this beeeyotch behind the Coach I will prob haul my 2019 BMW GSA and the 2019 KTM 500 EXC-f most of the time. They are the two bikes I use the most anymore.

View attachment 157361

View attachment 157362

If it doesn't have a delete, I dont want it. The whole point of the process is to get rid of the pointless and useless garbage EPA mandates. The whole EGR/DEF concept is merely a band aid on a broken leg of poor metrics and an after thought of engineering to appease oversight. The whole concept is actually worse for engine reliability and longevity and service managers will even tell you that but cant do it themselves.
50K trouble free miles on my Cummins, but I am aware of the headache and expense the emissions related equipment can pose in the future. Fingers crossed it doesn't bite me, but I'm not tuned and can't delete, so its not really an option anyway.

So far, my biggest complaint with the design is dumping the EGR gasses upstream of the turbo. Other than debris, I can't think of much worse for a turbine wheel spinning 100K rpm than sooty air. That, and they sure don't make it easy to remove and clean the EGR cooler. Neither DEF nor the DPF has caused me much trouble, but then again I seldom take trips less than 30 highway miles where the engine can get up to temp and burn off the particulate.

Though I can see how all that would be particularly cumbersome on a lighter vehicle, running trails at slow speeds. You'd spend half your time in regen cycles.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

View attachment 157361

View attachment 157362

I'm with you. My Sprinter has been deleted for the past 4 years. Under warranty Mother Benz has put $10k in repair on my emission system. Last event was out of warranty and they wanted $3500 to fix emission once again. I went with the $800 tune and DPF removal. We have no emission testing up here in Qc.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Though I can see how all that would be particularly cumbersome on a lighter vehicle, running trails at slow speeds. You'd spend half your time in regen cycles.
I wonder if he can get the hybrid powerpack in the new engine to charge itself by towing behind the bus...

gonefirefightin

free wieners
50K trouble free miles on my Cummins, but I am aware of the headache and expense the emissions related equipment can pose in the future. Fingers crossed it doesn't bite me, but I'm not tuned and can't delete, so its not really an option anyway.

So far, my biggest complaint with the design is dumping the EGR gasses upstream of the turbo. Other than debris, I can't think of much worse for a turbine wheel spinning 100K rpm than sooty air. That, and they sure don't make it easy to remove and clean the EGR cooler. Neither DEF nor the DPF has caused me much trouble, but then again I seldom take trips less than 30 highway miles where the engine can get up to temp and burn off the particulate.

I only had two trucks that I played it safe with on keeping it stock and using the warranty and both of them had major issues in the 50k to 90k mile range and needed complete engine replacements due to the EGR system. Every diesel I have owned since then has never lasted a week before getting the whole delete and tune treatment. My last 6.7 lasted 400k without a single issue before I sold it and its still running strong towing skidsteers everyday. Its not a matter if, its when. The earlier EGR rigs without DPF and DEF will last longer but will still have issues at some point, and can almost always promise turbo issues first.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I only had two trucks that I played it safe with on keeping it stock and using the warranty and both of them had major issues in the 50k to 90k mile range and needed complete engine replacements due to the EGR system. Every diesel I have owned since then has never lasted a week before getting the whole delete and tune treatment. My last 6.7 lasted 400k without a single issue before I sold it and its still running strong towing skidsteers everyday. Its not a matter if, its when. The earlier EGR rigs without DPF and DEF will last longer but will still have issues at some point, and can almost always promise turbo issues first.
Thoughts and prayers to me then, cause deleting isn't an option.

Got the extended warranty to 100K. Let's hope I either do or don't have to make use of that.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
dream truck....long enough to stretch out in the back...drawbacks....hot as fuck in the summer....cold as fuck in the winter...

View attachment 157337
Ha, I am trying to talk someone out of buying a SWB one of these at the moment, I get that they look cool but in pretty much every other way they suck compared to something more modern.
I had to weld up a bracket to fit a 150A alternator normally used on a Kenworth for my mate's one, we're still yet to fit it. I'd never had to run 1 B&S cable as charge lead on a car, with everything electrical turned on it will be able to draw around 100A.
I was supposed to do a new wiring loom from scratch, not sure that will happen, I bought everything to do it but it is a huge job and the electrics have changed a lot on the vehicle since I said I'd do it.

When he bought it it was slow, small inside and uncomfortable, now it is shiny but still slow, small inside and uncomfortable.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I thought the hood ornament was a nice touch. He scored a pair of Suburban 3rd row seat that fit perfectly.

PXL_20210310_004511458.jpg

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, now I see where I should be posting my motor vehicle whining. I had dredged this up instead

1615382089691.png

Just wait till I start bitching about the motorcycle too.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Why is it so hard for car companies to actually make use of their car's real estate and build an actual wagon? So tired of these pseudo crossovers with sloping rooflines.

Fingers crossed that Kia just makes a longer version of the Ioniq 5. My hope of the VW ID6 being an electric Passat were dashed by this abomination:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Why is it so hard for car companies to actually make use of their car's real estate and build an actual wagon? So tired of these pseudo crossovers with sloping rooflines.

Fingers crossed that Kia just makes a longer version of the Ioniq 5. My hope of the VW ID6 being an electric Passat were dashed by this abomination:

That's really quite ugly.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I always wanted the CC as a wagon with a V8/6spd manual....
As mentioned, the Arteon is the successor and with a hatchback...it's 75% of the utility of a wagon IMO. I was trying to decide whether to pick one up last year. Supposedly they are a bit "soft", despite more power than the Audi A5 sportback. Bigger interior though.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
As mentioned, the Arteon is the successor and with a hatchback...it's 75% of the utility of a wagon IMO. I was trying to decide whether to pick one up last year. Supposedly they are a bit "soft", despite more power than the Audi A5 sportback. Bigger interior though.
i never knew the arteon was offered like that in europe.

also did not know that 2019 was the last year of the golf sportwagen/alltrack.....

bummer.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i never knew the arteon was offered like that in europe.

also did not know that 2019 was the last year of the golf sportwagen/alltrack.....

bummer.
There's a petition currently to bring the M3 Touring to the US. Pretty much ain't going to happen. The best we can do is S5 and RS5 sportbacks and 440M grand coupe with their hatches, but those new BMWs are an extra dose of beaver-toothed ugly. I don't consider the E63 or RS6 Avant real alternatives, since those are just sky-high supercars that option out to around 130K with normal selections.