Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Chicken dinner for you I think sir.

Just saw it from the front, definitely Merc.
I still really want one and I have not said that about many Mercedes. I would be good with the base GT, I don't need no crazy black series or anything.

<edit> this has less than 1k miles a year. I could flip this

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I can’t get past the proportions, the sitting on the rear axle-look. I do like the 4-door version, it’s the only Mercedes 4-door “coupe” that I think looks decent.

Still, the purpose of their GT is clear and pretty cool.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I can’t get past the proportions, the sitting on the rear axle-look. I do like the 4-door version, it’s the only Mercedes 4-door “coupe” that I think looks decent.

Still, the purpose of their GT is clear and pretty cool.
There was a black one parked near work downtown I used to see all the time. It's similar to the Vette in the ass on the rear axle position. In person I think they look incredible. They got a little ridiculous with the wing, but the basic GT is the hotness.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It still kinda blows me away that folks are buying/selling multimillion dollar cars on BaT. A site originally created for unloading projects. :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Its sad but true :(

I have not owned an automatic car before, but the next one will be as there are really no options. Maybe I'll win the lottery that I purchased a ticket for last night and can live the dream of having a manual Porsche or something, but yeah.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

I have not owned an automatic car before, but the next one will be as there are really no options. Maybe I'll win the lottery that I purchased a ticket for last night and can live the dream of having a manual Porsche or something, but yeah.
My Vette was the best $14k I've ever spent (less than $3k in upkeep, sold for $7k). Yes, the manual is slower, but not really. Especially on the street enjoying the drive.

With my sim rig, I can make anything a 6 speed manual and it's awesome.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I mean - electric cars... there is no need for a transmission at all. It's a natural progression. That being said, all my kids have learned how to drive a manual. Despite it being pretty much anachronistic at this point. :D
I'm part of the sad trend. Drove a manual from age 16 all the way through 41, when I bought the Leaf. 5 speed gear boxes all, to none. It's just not the same. :(

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I drove/owned a manual from 16-30 years old, I also had a manual beemer for a year after that. I almost bought a 2021 Hyundai Elantra N Line with a 6 speed last summer. I wish I picked it up, they are not easy to get anymore.
I read an article today rating the manuals currently available from best to worst, of course I can't find it now.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I drove/owned a manual from 16-30 years old, I also had a manual beemer for a year after that. I almost bought a 2021 Hyundai Elantra N Line with a 6 speed last summer. I wish I picked it up, they are not easy to get anymore.
I read an article today rating the manuals currently available from best to worst, of course I can't find it now.
There is a C7 with a manual for sale by work, guessing it's a '14 based on the sketchy lot. I saw it on Sunday when they were closed. The 7 speed isn't as nice as the 6, but WAY better than the 8 speed slush box option.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If I didn't have an automatic, I'd be F-ed right now as far as being able to drive and no one would have been able to pick up my car and drive it back from the trailhead either. I'm not driving manual for at least a few weeks.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If I didn't have an automatic, I'd be F-ed right now as far as being able to drive and no one would have been able to pick up my car and drive it back from the trailhead either. I'm not driving manual for at least a few weeks.
Getting injured always throws a curveball, but usually there's a way..

I was able to drive my manual Mazda with a broken right hand in a cast for almost months.

The tricky one was when I separated my left shoulder. Making lefts turns was.....interesting...but became easier. My buddy had to drive my car home two hours away and he hadn't driven manual in years. Damn that was a stressful drive home. :rofl:

Had a small tear in the MCL on my left knee (god damn stupid gravel path crash...) which forced me to manage speed super well, as pressing the clutch sucked balls.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Getting injured always throws a curveball, but usually there's a way..

I was able to drive my manual Mazda with a broken right hand in a cast for almost months.

The tricky one was when I separated my left shoulder. Making lefts turns was.....interesting...but became easier. My buddy had to drive my car home two hours away and he hadn't driven manual in years. Damn that was a stressful drive home. :rofl:

Had a small tear in the MCL on my left knee (god damn stupid gravel path crash...) which forced me to manage speed super well, as pressing the clutch sucked balls.
I'd have to press in the clutch with my gas foot...that ain't happening. As long as I can bend and put weight on my clutch foot, then it's no problem. It's a lot easier to shift with my opposite hand, that's not actually all that hard.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Driving a manual in murica for the first time was surprisingly OK. Having to shift with the wrong hand.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Driving a manual in murica for the first time was surprisingly OK. Having to shift with the wrong hand.
I drove a manual on the left hand side of the road in three different countries:
Cyprus - what a fucking nightmare. Not only was the stick on the wrong side of the car, but the rental had the blinker and wiper controls switched, too - and that fucked me up for the rest of my life.
Scotland - was OK but not super fun. Narrow roads, lots of traffic, confusing roundabouts, I was driving a 6-speed diesel SUV that required a gear change every 20s.
St. Lucia - holy hell, that was fun fun fun. I was flying on their narrow winding roads in a beat 4x4 that I rented from the local mafia. It was like a video game, dodging slow traffic, potholes the size of Mexico and 1ft deep gutters lining the roads.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Driving experience? In my opinion, it is certainly not.

But I did not switch from a 4.0L jeep to an electric 4 door sedan for the "experience".
the thing about "electric car people" is they cannot differentiate driving experience from the act of driving. It's always "it's more efficient, easier, better for the environment, faster 0-60, better in traffic, etc." It's never "it's thrilling, I feel connected, I enjoy it, the chassis is communicative, etc." Electric cars are 100% going to be the future, and they should be, but I don't understand why "electric car people" can't seem to understand that some people enjoy the experience of an old muscle car, e39 M5, ferrari, alfa, whatever. Some day I hope to have solar panels and a crappy little commuter that makes the drive to work painless and safe...but I also hope to have some garbage with a 6 speed gearbox, bad MPG, and just enough horsepower to scare me occasionally.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the thing about "electric car people" is they cannot differentiate driving experience from the act of driving. It's always "it's more efficient, easier, better for the environment, faster 0-60, better in traffic, etc." It's never "it's thrilling, I feel connected, I enjoy it, the chassis is communicative, etc." Electric cars are 100% going to be the future, and they should be, but I don't understand why "electric car people" can't seem to understand that some people enjoy the experience of an old muscle car, e39 M5, ferrari, alfa, whatever. Some day I hope to have solar panels and a crappy little commuter that makes the drive to work painless and safe...but I also hope to have some garbage with a 6 speed gearbox, bad MPG, and just enough horsepower to scare me occasionally.
Those that can't, assume everyone else can't too.

We have two guys that regularly show up for AutoX in their Model 3 Performance. They have a ton of fun. They don't turn terrible, but obviously many cars turn better, but their point to point acceleration is crazy and they have a blast. They have to drive really well and at the limit, it's not handed on a silver platter. This is quite simply the "worst" format for an EV as far as handling, yet they often pull off some of the fastest numbers of the day. So they probably feel the same thing, why can't everyone else experience the joy of an EV and instant acceleration?

Some of these old car experiences are way overblown. If we went back to them we'd probably be taken back by their lack of steering/chassis precision, control, etc. It's human nature to "remember" something better than it actually was.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
This assessment is 100% correct in my opinion. It's true that the Leaf is probably the perfect car for 99% of my driving. What it lacks is infrastructure support, but that's hardly the fault of Nissan. All these future cars are going to need self driving features, not for convenience or because "its the future!", but because they are boring as watching paint dry to drive. The fact that I can put my foot in it and beat 90% of traffic off the line is entertaining for all of 6 seconds, which doesn't mean shit most days on my 20 minute commute or going to get groceries. Congratulations to electric cars, for making driving mundane, even if incredibly practical and much more environmentally friendly. Say what you will about Jeep ownership, most of the stereotypes exist for a reason, but at least it was fun to drive.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Model 3 Performance.
you picked what might be the most exciting electric car ever made (acceleration and handling) to argue my point. Having driven a model S performance and regular, leaf, and having been in a model 3 regular, they handle like boats and econoboxes and give anything back to the driver other than phenomenal acceleration. The S performance was actually terrifying to drive on the same road that was a joy in my alfa. It won't be long before somebody decides to electrify a miata and brings a car with steering feel and acceleration to the market, but I'm not commenting about people who love cars AND drive electric cars, I'm talking about the electrek types, the musk bootlickers. People who think adding a spoiler to their model 3 econobox is "modding" their car. My argument is that it's OK to like cars AND like efficiency...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
you picked what might be the most exciting electric car ever made (acceleration and handling) to argue my point. Having driven a model S performance and regular, leaf, and having been in a model 3 regular, they handle like boats and econoboxes and give anything back to the driver other than phenomenal acceleration. The S performance was actually terrifying to drive on the same road that was a joy in my alfa. It won't be long before somebody decides to electrify a miata and brings a car with steering feel and acceleration to the market, but I'm not commenting about people who love cars AND drive electric cars, I'm talking about the electrek types, the musk bootlickers. People who think adding a spoiler to their model 3 econobox is "modding" their car. My argument is that it's OK to like cars AND like efficiency...
You are basically saying, it doesn't work for you, so it can't work for anyone else.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
idea....

drive what you like....

mind yoir fucking busoness....

confront who you want in public for their perceived poor choices.....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

I had this conversation at the wedding over the weekend. Guy is going from a sports car to a bronco, so he can get a stick in a car that's not ungodly expensive. I've effectively always had a manual since 2005, with a few exceptions, and sold my last one with the ///M a few years back. The 7-speed, automatic, dual-clutch transmission in the Audi is really fucking nice though.

When I do flip over to manual mode, I end up with the same power and control as before, but perfect clutch engagement. It won't shift on its own at red line or on the bottom-end, it will bog. The shifting is faster than I could ever shift, smoother - so less traction breaking, and as a side perk I get better mileage. I just don't see going back.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I had this conversation at the wedding over the weekend. Guy is going from a sports car to a bronco, so he can get a stick in a car that's not ungodly expensive. I've effectively always had a manual since 2005, with a few exceptions, and sold my last one with the ///M a few years back. The 7-speed, automatic, dual-clutch transmission in the Audi is really fucking nice though.

When I do flip over to manual mode, I end up with the same power and control as before, but perfect clutch engagement. It won't shift on its own at red line or on the bottom-end, it will bog. The shifting is faster than I could ever shift, smoother - so less traction breaking, and as a side perk I get better mileage. I just don't see going back.
I had nothing but a manual from 2000 until 2012. I will say that it would be hard to go back. Heck even my semi is an automatic. It shifts smoother and better than I ever can in our other truck with an 8LL trans.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

this has been my case, kind of, as well. The alfa's 8hp ZF automatic was really really good. There was one quirk but otherwise I wouldn't want a manual. The genesis is a slug. I would imagine a modern DCT takes that even further.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
...but I also hope to have some garbage with a 6 speed gearbox, bad MPG, and just enough horsepower to scare me occasionally.
tHE Beemer 328i that I had was exactly that, a garbage can by the time I got my hands on it. It sure was a fun car to commute with and bomb around in. It was also a fucking beast in the snow with 4 snow tires. I wish I never got rid of it and had the cash to restore the rust on it.