Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What would there be to fix on the tub, like what is damaged on it?

Considering how low that car is, its not even in very deep water. I'd wager the engine would be fine with being rebuilt. Everything else though yeah would be toast.

Heck the interior is pretty sparse in those. Replace some wiring, the small screens, the few pieces of alcantara and you'd be done - everything else is solid carbon.

Even if its written off, someone will 100% buy it from the auction.
All wiring harnesses and electronics, thats the real pain in the ass. Every computer and wiring harness has to probably be replaced and re-ran. Electronic gremlins are no fun. Huge labor cost to get at everything for this.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What would there be to fix on the tub, like what is damaged on it?

Considering how low that car is, its not even in very deep water. I'd wager the engine would be fine with being rebuilt. Everything else though yeah would be toast.

Heck the interior is pretty sparse in those. Replace some wiring, the small screens, the few pieces of alcantara and you'd be done - everything else is solid carbon.

Even if its written off, someone will 100% buy it from the auction.
I'll see if I can find the thread on Reddit. Automotive engineer that works specifically with carbon broke down dry land (automotive) vs. aquatic carbon fiber composition, how it will break down based on type of composite used, etc. Since the electronics are safe to assume toast, full replacement. Engine is aluminum, so salt water will damage just by sitting in it, full replacement. Whole interior is toast, full replacement. And of course the tub, full replacement (if possible).

Realistically, brand new $1mm car - you can afford the $5-10k to have someone literally drive it north or south 3hrs. Or, even to the nearest multistory garage.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
All wiring harnesses and electronics, thats the real pain in the ass. Every computer and wiring harness has to probably be replaced and re-ran. Electronic gremlins are no fun. Huge labor cost to get at everything for this.
Its McLaren though, I'm sure they'll do anything you want if given the cash.

I mean they rebuilt this one...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
its like how they “rebuild” a lot of these old airplanes. You technically cant make a new cessna 180 or old cub, but if you can find an old data plate from an old crashed plane, you can weld up a “new” frame and basically build a brand new one.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Well, not if you buy on a loan you are not actually good for…then buying right before a hurricane would be suspicious/good business if you can get away with it.
How does one get a nearly $2m loan they can't pay for? Asking for a friend...

Still unclear on how this fraud would work, take out a loan, buy a car a week before a hurricane, lose car in hurricane, get loan paid off, have no car or loan, ?????, profit!

P1 is carbon. The tub can't be fixed. That is also going to be new electrical and engine. That thing is toast.
Production cost < current value. As long as the VIN is still known, it'll be rebuilt, even it's in a very Ship of Theseus sorta way.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How does one get a nearly $2m loan they can't pay for? Asking for a friend...

Still unclear on how this fraud would work, take out a loan, buy a car a week before a hurricane, lose car in hurricane, get loan paid off, have no car or loan, ?????, profit!

Production cost < current value. As long as the VIN is still known, it'll be rebuilt, even it's in a very Ship of Theseus sorta way.
If it's fraud, maybe it's similar to the video I posted above. Guy drove his Bugatti into a pond trying t9 get it written off, buy didn't count on someone taking video of it, of his super rare car. Oops.

I'm just going with negligence, being absent-minded or just stupid. I mean like you kind of hint at, if the guy can afford a +1 million dollar car, he can afford to have it moved, lost etc etc.

I'm guessing he didn't expect the storm to be as bad as it did. Or was too preoccupied with golf at his other villa. Who knows.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Seems the hyperbole amplification has no bounds for the fairy tale twuck

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Seems the hyperbole amplification has no bounds for the fairy tale twuck

Every car can briefly serve as a boat if you are not a bitch.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What's the best method/safest method for accepting a large payment on a private sale?
  • Spending an hour counting a pile of counterfeit notes doesn't seem overly great
  • Hope they have a branch of their bank local to me and go with them to get a cashiers cheque then cash it straight away at mine?
  • ???

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've usually done a cashier's check without issue in the past. I suppose you could do the same thing but meet at your bank, cash the thing, then hand over the title. I think that's what my dad did recently. He drives off in the car and you walk.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Go to the bank with cash and have them count it and deposit it. They check for counterfeit bills. Maybe have them wire transfer it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What's the best method/safest method for accepting a large payment on a private sale?
  • Spending an hour counting a pile of counterfeit notes doesn't seem overly great
  • Hope they have a branch of their bank local to me and go with them to get a cashiers cheque then cash it straight away at mine?
  • ???
What's going away? Titan?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Anybody got any experience with Stealth hitch mounts? https://stealthhitches.com/

It's kind neat to be able to remove the receiver when not in use (or when more clearance is needed), and I also like being able to use a 2" receiver for bike racks on vehicles that normally only accept 1 1/4". (Wouldn't be used for towing, just bike racks.) Anyone?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Anybody got any experience with Stealth hitch mounts? https://stealthhitches.com/

It's kind neat to be able to remove the receiver when not in use (or when more clearance is needed), and I also like being able to use a 2" receiver for bike racks on vehicles that normally only accept 1 1/4". (Wouldn't be used for towing, just bike racks.) Anyone?
I'm planning on getting a GLB hitch for my EQB when it arrives (? when?) from Stealth Hitches and then hoping that my local hitch company outfit can figure out enough common hard points to mount it up successfully.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I had an Execuhitch on my BMW, seems similar. The cool thing was that it had a locking receiver piece and when that was removed, there was nothing that could be seen externally. They supposedly had a freaking motorized version or something too, but the one I got was specifically for bike racks. I also am of the mind that for a car/small suv/crossover, you shouldn't be putting a 2" on anyway, as 4 bikes and rack is going to be over the tongue weight, so for 2 bikes, 1.25" is always fine IME. Last pic I was just comparing my lowered about an inch on ACS springs-4-series to a non-lowered one, but the receiver is in place, just to the nature of the "hidden hitch" it is completely "stealth" when not in use. I will say that these kind of installs are not the easiest thing. They are pretty tedious, you usually have a bunch of sensors you have to disconnect and reconnect, getting the facia off and being gentle, but prying, etc. I did the same with my stinger and it was an even harder install and it's not "stealth", but I don't care as much about that part. There were no other hitch options for the 4-series...luckily this worked great though.

010c8d543ce9042bce330d8f3c271f79494554a6ef.jpg
01ff375e8ac9a969762570c1c46336a4e306a16ddf.jpg
018fdb8dd3d3a41d201c3f20eb2880d4bde7c5a358s.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I had an Execuhitch on my BMW, seems similar. The cool thing was that it had a locking receiver piece and when that was removed, there was nothing that could be seen externally. They supposedly had a freaking motorized version or something too, but the one I got was specifically for bike racks. I also am of the mind that for a car/small suv/crossover, you shouldn't be putting a 2" on anyway, as 4 bikes and rack is going to be over the tongue weight, so for 2 bikes, 1.25" is always fine IME. Last pic I was just comparing my lowered about an inch on ACS springs-4-series to a non-lowered one, but the receiver is in place, just to the nature of the "hidden hitch" it is completely "stealth" when not in use. I will say that these kind of installs are not the easiest thing. They are pretty tedious, you usually have a bunch of sensors you have to disconnect and reconnect, getting the facia off and being gentle, but prying, etc. I did the same with my stinger and it was an even harder install and it's not "stealth", but I don't care as much about that part. There were no other hitch options for the 4-series...luckily this worked great though.

View attachment 183002View attachment 183003View attachment 183004
With a 2 inch hitch, the rack itself is often a little more sturdy than the smaller variant.

Aldo makes sense if you have other vehicles already with that size receiver and/or racks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
With a 2 inch hitch, the rack itself is often a little more sturdy than the smaller variant.

Aldo makes sense if you have other vehicles already with that size receiver and/or racks.
IME, that really depends on the rack. Some are loosey-goosey in 1.25, some are stable. There's always a 1.25 to 2" adapter, although it'll probably increase slop. I ran a 2" to 1.25 adapter on my honda. Worked fine.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
IME, that really depends on the rack. Some are loosey-goosey in 1.25, some are stable. There's always a 1.25 to 2" adapter, although it'll probably increase slop. I ran a 2" to 1.25 adapter on my honda. Worked fine.
I meant how the racks themselves are designed.

Look at Kuat or Thule as examples, their 2" racks are built imo better. Usually less bends in smaller tubing etc etc.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Thanks guys.

Exactly. The 2” OneUp is a little more stout than the 1 1/4”, I already have one, and I’ll be swapping the rack between two vehicles, one of which has a 2” receiver. We should be well within the 350 lbs max tongue weight. And I expect to have the thing professionally installed.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The 1.25 T2 I have is solid...as in, it's solid metal there and beefy as hell. The cross-beams that the arms sit on are starting to rust, so I'm trying to keep them protected, but the part that connects to the receiver is solid and doesn't wobble excessively.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I think woody runs stealth hitches on his trashlas. I don't think he ever "stealth"s them, but he's able to two two bikes on those glitchy electric cars without issue.

FWIW, I had an over the counter hitch installed in a normal manner on my car. No modifications! I'm like a real boy.