Quantcast

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world

These are super popular in Europe and even get 150-200 miles of range, but pricy even when used. You’ll very rarely find a decent one under 12k €.

The MG4 is a step in the right direction and a pretty convincing compact electric family car, but it’s still 30k € before any government rebates.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
"Sold for $9,001"

:disgust:
More evidence that there is a world full of morans.
MORANS, MORANS everywhere.

Unless of course someone in predicting that there might be an impending global EMP device being set off. Then, a Yugo might be a fine object to have. Assuming there is something to burn inside of it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
MORANS, MORANS everywhere.

Unless of course someone in predicting that there might be an impending global EMP device being set off. Then, a Yugo might be a fine object to have. Assuming there is something to burn inside of it.
I believe the interior is all flammable.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Maybe I’m old hat, but I do value visibility outside of the car via windows. Was in a polestar 2 that has pretty poor rear visibility, and the salesman said, “that doesn’t matter with the backup camera”. I disagree. I have to back out of my driveway, across the sidewalk, past street parked cars and into the street. I’ll take all the visibility I can take + backup camera and rear crossing braking (that has saved me once in the scenario already)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Maybe I’m old hat, but I do value visibility outside of the car via windows. Was in a polestar 2 that has pretty poor rear visibility, and the salesman said, “that doesn’t matter with the backup camera”. I disagree. I have to back out of my driveway, across the sidewalk, past street parked cars and into the street. I’ll take all the visibility I can take + backup camera and rear crossing braking (that has saved me once in the scenario already)
This is part of the reason I like my old 100 series Land Cruiser. Big greenhouse by virtue of thin pillars, high-ish roof, and a low beltline. Very easy to see out of in all directions.

my handsome boi

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ErgoCar.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Jm_, your Camaro has to be one of the worst modern offenders wrt greenhouse
And somehow I don't hit cones. Opposite of greenhouse, greenhouse is all open to the sun and heats up like mad due to all the rays. Some of our low-wing aircraft are like that.
242375609_3981376025299839_8304919446142403799_n.jpg

Yes, the visibility isn't good, but you adapt to it. Mainly though, if you want a car that is low, handles well, has interior space, and so on, there will be compromises. That's why we drive cars like this, because we are ok with the compromises. One of the things I like about is people can't see me.

That's why I created Ergo-car. No compromises. The above version is Flachbau, but this is the normal nose version:
Ergocar2.jpg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's the over the shoulder visibility that worries me in that design, not out the front pillbox-slot
Yeah, I find that most people never set their mirrors for the blind spot. They set them so they can see the rear side of their car, which is redundant with the rear view mirror and completely misses the "blind-spot". I take a little pleasure in knowing my headlights are in their eyes in the side mirrors for that reason, but if you are behind someone and see their face in the side mirrors, it's a dead giveaway they are adjusted incorrectly. The other one is when they are whipping their head back while merging, trying to give themselves whiplash to "see in their blind-spot". You want as soon as the front of the car moves out of the rear view mirror, to enter the side view mirror and then when it gets to the end of the side view mirror, it's parallel with you and you see it in your peripheral vision. Even still, I got the 2SS trim with the blind-spot monitoring for an added safety measure...but this is 80% about adjusting the mirrors correctly, which most people don't do. In a car like this, you can't afford to adjust the mirrors incorrectly, where in others you can get away with it with rear windows, etc. This really applies to all cars though, we are "designing it out" with self-driving systems and other monitoring stuff, but it's interesting how people gravitate to what "feels" right...vs. what is actually safer. Nearly every rental or fleet vehicle I get in, the mirrors are pulled way in to see the sides and rear end of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The rentals are probably due to the lot guys wanting to see the sides of the car while parking them after giving them their cursory wash, eh?

I set my mirrors properly, and the Land Cruiser in particular has big elephant ear mirrors that I appreciate. But I also want glass area.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The rentals are probably due to the lot guys wanting to see the sides of the car while parking them after giving them their cursory wash, eh?

I set my mirrors properly, and the Land Cruiser in particular has big elephant ear mirrors that I appreciate. But I also want glass area.
Dedicated tow vehicles are a bit different, they do come with the convex mirrors that allow you to see the side (rear) and blind-spot area. Since they don't effectively have a rear view mirror while towing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Not even tow mirrors. Just nice, blocky regular mirrors. None of this slim-line business since the whole thing is a brick in the air anyway.