Quantcast

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Canceled my Model Y order today. The dipshit CEO turning it into a 60k Maga hat certainly didn’t help, but in the end, it was mostly due to Tesla’s anti consumer behaviour.

Getting rid of radar was already highly questionable but ripping out the ultrasonic sensors used for park distance control without any replacement and empty promises of solving the problem with a solely vision-based system at some point in the future was the final straw.

Shame, as there is still a lot I like about the car. The packaging and resulting space are great, weight is comparably low and efficiency very good, in no small part due to the aerodynamic shape, which I and two other people on the planet actually like. Plus, unlike in the US, in Germany it’s a relative bargain, coming in much cheaper than an Audi Q4 for instance. Then again, visibility is terrible, suspension is average, no HUD and touchscreen-only dogmatism, the assistance system are the worst I've used and well, Elon.
That sucks I was thinking about it as an option too as my lease runs out in October. I also really appreciate a rear wiper for city driving.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
That sucks I was thinking about it as an option too as my lease runs out in October. I also really appreciate a rear wiper for city driving.
There might be a solution by then and wait time will probably not be an issue anymore as demand is waning and the Berlin factory is churning out more and more cars. You might also get a good deal as they have already lowered prices twice in China and are starting to throw goodies at people in Europe as well. Supposedly, radar might be getting reintroduced as well.
It's a really good family car to be honest if you can live with its peculiarities. I only considered it due to practicality, space, its efficiency and the fact that Tesla could actually deliver a vehicle before the end of my lease and had no idea how powerful these things are until I test drove a few. Not that anyone really needs that much power, but even the Long Range has 500hp and ther Performance model is just utterly insane.

If you want to go electric availability is going to be the limiting factor. The Skoda Enyaq, which I quite liked and probably would have gone for still has a wait time of 12 - 24 months. Besides that I tested the VW ID4, ID5 GTX, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia EV6 and Audi Q4. I ended up going with a BMW iX3, which I hadn't considered at all before ordering the Tesla but it's a pretty nice compromise and works well for my use case, even if it sits on a platform shared with ICE and hybrid vehicles and is fairly conventional.

The vehicles I'm really looking forward to are the BMW i5 Touring, Audi A6 e-tron Avant and VW ID7 Variant. What are you looking at besides the Model Y?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Not that anyone really needs that much power, but even the Long Range has 500hp and ther Performance model is just utterly insane.
Do they have any artificial power limiter? The Teslas here move as if they had 1/10th of that, I assume to extend range and limit battery wear.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
All passenger cars should be limited at 150 hp.
Want a fast car? Make it light and aerodynamic.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
All passenger cars should be limited at 150 hp.
Want a fast car? Make it light and aerodynamic.
Don't you live in Denmark where it's flat?

Can I up that to 180 based on per tonne, as the 170ish of our crosstrek is the minimum I'd want trying to merge onto highways with short on ramps living in the mountains.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Don't you live in Denmark where it's flat?

Can I up that to 180 based on per tonne, as the 170ish of our crosstrek is the minimum I'd want trying to merge onto highways with short on ramps living in the mountains.
Yes, but I lived in Germany before in a hilly region and drove a Golf 2 with 55 hp. I went on vacation to the mountains with it too. It was fine.
For work we drove a fully packed VW transporter with 85 hp up and down mountains. Shockingly, it was fine. You are not the fastest, but you are fine.
My current VW Caddy has 105 hp, weighs empyt 1.6 tons and fully loaded 2.25 tons. I also take it to the mountains and, you guessed it, its fine.

If everybody has this limit, merging onto the highway will be even less of a problem.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Do they have any artificial power limiter? The Teslas here move as if they had 1/10th of that, I assume to extend range and limit battery wear.
From all I know there is no difference in the engine tunes between Europe and the US. It's mostly software anyway and they'll sell you an acceleration boost for a 1000€ to shave off 0,8s of the already super quick 5s 0-60 time for the LR model. But those insane power figures and torque are only available at low speeds, above 100kph there is hardly a discernible difference between the Performance and Long Range variants.

But I can confirm your observation - surprisingly enough I've never seen a Tesla go really fast on the Autobahn either and neither have I seen one really punch it on an on ramp or at a light. Most drivers seem to be all about getting maximum range.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
There might be a solution by then and wait time will probably not be an issue anymore as demand is waning and the Berlin factory is churning out more and more cars. You might also get a good deal as they have already lowered prices twice in China and are starting to throw goodies at people in Europe as well. Supposedly, radar might be getting reintroduced as well.
It's a really good family car to be honest if you can live with its peculiarities. I only considered it due to practicality, space, its efficiency and the fact that Tesla could actually deliver a vehicle before the end of my lease and had no idea how powerful these things are until I test drove a few. Not that anyone really needs that much power, but even the Long Range has 500hp and ther Performance model is just utterly insane.

If you want to go electric availability is going to be the limiting factor. The Skoda Enyaq, which I quite liked and probably would have gone for still has a wait time of 12 - 24 months. Besides that I tested the VW ID4, ID5 GTX, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia EV6 and Audi Q4. I ended up going with a BMW iX3, which I hadn't considered at all before ordering the Tesla but it's a pretty nice compromise and works well for my use case, even if it sits on a platform shared with ICE and hybrid vehicles and is fairly conventional.

The vehicles I'm really looking forward to are the BMW i5 Touring, Audi A6 e-tron Avant and VW ID7 Variant. What are you looking at besides the Model Y?
I like the new Polestar too but it looks like it will be too large. Also looks like I can soon take my bike to work so very little need for a car. So even more unsure what to do.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I like the new Polestar too but it looks like it will be too large. Also looks like I can soon take my bike to work so very little need for a car. So even more unsure what to do.
Screw the car then, you can always go for carsharing when the need arises. Can’t beat riding to work.
The Polestar 3 is super nice, but way out of my price range and delivery will take a while.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Screw the car then, you can always go for carsharing when the need arises. Can’t beat riding to work.
The Polestar 3 is super nice, but way out of my price range and delivery will take a while.
I get a car from the company which is difficult to turn down but I am also taxed on the value of the car. It's great to have it to get to the trails, garden projects, food shopping etc. so I will end up with some kind of EV.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
One of the biggest issues with my location is nothing outside of town is really bikeable. My commute is awful, but it's 2 days a week tops. An EV would do well for us and is the next purchase or 2. An emoto both on and off road plus an EV truck. But I want a moderately sized one, like Toyota Hilux sized.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
With '64 Vette fuelie setup, proper.

like owning a life size matchbox car....

i figured out what the new corvettes really remind me of...

a anime fiero....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Makeup vs high uplift bra.
A guy down the street just got a new one and has left the guards on. But he also put brake covers on his first Challenger, so I'm not surprised. This car has the big brake kit, so I'm waiting to see if he still does covers. The covers look so bad.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is it like leaving the stickers on the bill of your hat? I never understood that, either.

I don't get the sticker thing but I like the air dam protector. It's such a bright color that it looks badass. I think of it like mudflaps on a WRX- it makes the car look burlier.

but also all of these cars thrive on personal modification so embrace that people are doing what they enjoy. I remember they ended up printing them in pink specifically to prevent people from keeping them on.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
a friend in california picked up a euro spec 79 733 bmw for 1500.00......pretty fucking clean too....

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world