Quantcast

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
If big US metros implemented no-fossil fueled cars in city center policies then we’d see change quicker here as well.
Good thing states are rapidly shifting towards that goal. Oh wait.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

That resolution is non-binding. It's literally a waste of paper and time, like Wyoming Republicans--save for Liz Cheney in the context of 1/6--in general.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Jackson WY has the highest concentration of environmental non-nonprofits in the country. My goodness. What have they been doing!

:rofl:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Toto Wolff's F40 with stupid low miles.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm sorry, but this shits funny to me.

Earlier this week, we reported that a Tesla engineer testified that the automaker faked its self-driving Model X video back in 2016. It wasn’t just a low-level employee making these claims, either. It was Tesla’s director of Autopilot software, Ashok Elluswamy. And while you’d probably have been safe to assume Elon Musk was involved and knew what his employees were doing, internal emails now confirm exactly that.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Toto Wolff's F40 with stupid low miles.

im reminded of that jamiroquai video for cosmic girl where one of those is getting flogged along with a lamborghini and i think a 512...ive always wondered what road they were on....

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
That resolution is non-binding. It's literally a waste of paper and time
I wonder how performative the Ca ban on ICE car sales is going to turn out to be seeing as how we've made zero plans to actually make it feasible. I mean, I'm sure governor dumbass has it all figured out and just forgot to tell us peasants.

As much as I'm in favor of green tech and renewables, I just can't help but see most new laws and ICE bans as fancy poor-taxes. I'm sure the billionaires who can afford Rolls Royce's upcoming EV would love a ban on ICE vehicles in the LA metro area as it would go a long way toward clearing the traffic that stands between their private jets and their homes that stay well irrigated through the drought.

So what you're saying is that it is GOP mental masturbation?
Why do we always use masturbation as a negative term? We a bunch of nuns who think flicking the bean is the devil's work or something?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Did see some interesting machines. Most concepty was the kia ionic 7. The old schumacher f1 was interesting to see up close. Everything else kinda blended together. My kid (who was the reason we went) had a blast. I enjoyed talking with the salespeople strangely.

5350C9AE-8FDE-4863-AF4F-16032A54824D.jpeg
3BA466EA-DE76-43B6-94FB-2711D9F82AFE.jpeg
3DE3911C-82C9-494C-87C1-2C9AFF6B18C4.jpeg
18C9E473-53C9-425D-87AB-611EEAA8DCBC.jpeg
DBA8A10A-584E-4644-9393-B02C0CB6F45F.jpeg
A2798A19-6F69-47E9-B74C-75AE31874B75.jpeg
E891BA6A-9D01-4CEA-9840-1D0C8367E93F.jpeg
5DD1C634-4F8D-4D57-A5DD-FF0F4D5E3501.jpeg
D47C2919-3F7A-4250-ABD2-9AF15769ABFA.jpeg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
$400k to start, how many clicks does it take to finish?

My immediate guess from your post was Tavarish.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't follow any YouTube car guys, but it must make some serious cash for them to do crap like this.

"I'm going to spend $1.5m rebuilding a car worth $800k, follow me for more smart money decisions."
It's the merchandise and whatnot, ontop of youtube money's. And there's a lot of it.

The only youtube car channel that I follow now is Cleetus McFarland- the amount of money they go through....yikes.

I stopped watching Tavarish and some others a while back. Too much clickbait, same old stuff, etc

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's the merchandise and whatnot, ontop of youtube money's. And there's a lot of it.

The only youtube car channel that I follow now is Cleetus McFarland- the amount of money they go through....yikes.

I stopped watching Tavarish and some others a while back. Too much clickbait, same old stuff, etc
The grandson watches Mr Beast and a ton of annoying Minecraft and Fortnite player's. I truly never understood watching someone else play a game I can play myself. :rofl:

<edit> that annoying chick who just twin turboed a brand new Z06, damn.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005

The money Cleetus makes is absolutely staggering, don't have any inside intel, but the cars he's giving away combined with the track, race shop, and like two dozen projects add up to some serious monthly expenses to cover, money's coming from somewhere. I used to watch a ton of woodworkers that don't even come close to the reach the big car guys have, and had to quit when literally every single video was just them building newer more expensive shops. The money in YouTube is wild.

I don't know how Tavarish is going to make videos out of restoring the P1, as I assume virtually all of it would need McLaren's tools/facility to accomplish, but he's not going to lose a single dollar on the project. He could spend $1m restoring it (won't be close to that), and have it become worthless due to lack of provenance and he'll still walk away with a nice bag of loot.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The money Cleetus makes is absolutely staggering, don't have any inside intel, but the cars he's giving away combined with the track, race shop, and like two dozen projects add up to some serious monthly expenses to cover, money's coming from somewhere. I used to watch a ton of woodworkers that don't even come close to the reach the big car guys have, and had to quit when literally every single video was just them building newer more expensive shops. The money in YouTube is wild.

I don't know how Tavarish is going to make videos out of restoring the P1, as I assume virtually all of it would need McLaren's tools/facility to accomplish, but he's not going to lose a single dollar on the project. He could spend $1m restoring it (won't be close to that), and have it become worthless due to lack of provenance and he'll still walk away with a nice bag of loot.
I know some of the cash has come from the Uncle Chet guy. He's helped fund the race track purchase and a facility on another channel.

It also has to be some of the in video advertising. Some of those dudes would advertise anything.

And yeah free stuff. Free stuff like turbos and other parts are always nice. :D

One other channel I forgot about is Mighty Car Mods, out of Australia. Been following those guys for I don't know how long. It's different than the American stuff, but they offer some good content and stories. Plus some of the projects they do are quite different and none of the "what can we fit an LS motor into today" type of stuff.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
He did a pretty good job of repairing in house his other McLaren that was crash damaged.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
i know you crave a ev version...
I don’t need a ‘weaponised’ automobile, ev or otherwise for three reasons:

1) Not an absolute cunt
2) Live in a (mostly) sensible country
3) Happy with size of penis and personal identity.

Seriously who the fuck buys these? Massive red flag. If you’re even tempted, maybe book a session at a therapist first, because that’s a mental illness issue for any nominal adult. I bet even @gonefirefightin thinks this is a dickmobile.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I wonder how performative the Ca ban on ICE car sales is going to turn out to be seeing as how we've made zero plans to actually make it feasible. I mean, I'm sure governor dumbass has it all figured out and just forgot to tell us peasants.

As much as I'm in favor of green tech and renewables, I just can't help but see most new laws and ICE bans as fancy poor-taxes. I'm sure the billionaires who can afford Rolls Royce's upcoming EV would love a ban on ICE vehicles in the LA metro area as it would go a long way toward clearing the traffic that stands between their private jets and their homes that stay well irrigated through the drought.
An interesting CA sidenote. You've likely heard about the ban on small, non emission compliant vehicles. A lawyer tells us in the offroad advocacy circles that this is likely not enforceable as it is a CARB directive, not a legislatively produced law on Federal lands. The firm told us they won't be issuing citations because they know a federal magistrate would likely throw it out, setting the stage for something they don't want. Not quite the same with road legal vehicles on public roads but CARB and gov hairdo are definitely ahead of themselves on some of this.

agreed on the rest

These assholes think nothing of just mandating that someone simply 'go buy a new car' because that's the world they live in.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
More vomit inducing modern americana:

I'm buying one just in case I encounter you. So many very appropriate and useful features.

blinding strobe lights, electrified doorhandles, and wing mirrors that can shoot pepper spray – handy for putting those pesky cyclists in their place.

I mean it's practically a tesla. You love that shit!

Styled like an Elon Musk fever dream

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
An interesting CA sidenote. You've likely heard about the ban on small, non emission compliant vehicles. A lawyer tells us in the offroad advocacy circles that this is likely not enforceable as it is a CARB directive, not a legislatively produced law on Federal lands. The firm told us they won't be issuing citations because they know a federal magistrate would likely throw it out, setting the stage for something they don't want. Not quite the same with road legal vehicles on public roads but CARB and gov hairdo are definitely ahead of themselves on some of this.
That will be an enforcement nightmare down here, we have such a mish-mash of federal and state managed lands you’d need GPS coordinates or a solid defense would like be “nah dog, I was 18’ to the left on the Fed turf”

Armored cars have been a thing forever. But usually people want them to be discreet. Like VW Jetta or S Class, depending on what one would be more likely to "normally" drive...

Back in my armored vehicle building days we had a guy come by the shop with a purple Jeep Liberty he bought sight unseen at auction, turned out to be armored. A Stanag III rated Liberty, probably did 0-60 in twenty minutes.

Some Narco’s daughter probably just had to have something cute for her sweet sixteen