Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Or this?

There is actually a Model S performance with 80k miles in Beaverton, so I will look at that today. It's a lot more than I was looking to spend ($25k) but Danny seems to think I would like it more than the Z.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I thought you wanted something exciting? Plus that one has that god awful old bumper.
Danny swears by his ('18) and he day drove a GT-R. Jeff who put $80k into his 1300hp GT-R bought a plaid ('21?).

But yes, the 6 speed was 80% of what I want. But a Tesla would actually be practical, which is kinda scary.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ew @ the tesla

I think that nissan would be just fine. I don't think they are that problematic, just that a 2023 Z isn't that much different than the 2004 you linked. Those engines were pretty robust.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
ew @ the tesla

I think that nissan would be just fine. I don't think they are that problematic, just that a 2023 Z isn't that much different than the 2004 you linked. Those engines were pretty robust.
Its a grand tourer car. Throttlehouse has a good review. TLDR: Its peers are not sports cars like Supra and Civic R.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Its a grand tourer car. Throttlehouse has a good review. TLDR: Its peers are not sports cars like Supra and Civic R.
which car did ace and gary review? The older one or the new? I know it's not a true sports car, but I bet it beats the heck out of a Camry

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@stevew the 15" wheels fit fine on the Golf with 4motion.
Steelies ftw. I wanted to get some for my Land Cruiser’s winter set but they were only available new. My Tundra OEM takeoffs were cheaper, and forged aluminum so kinda had to go with them.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
@jimmydean you were after a new commuter

Ironically enough, I looked at this today. Last time I looked for a commuter I bought a 14 year old Vette with 72k. Here is a 14 year old Vette with 62k. It has black interior vs the grey I had before, but the likeness is almost too much. If they will take $18k I might have to.

PXL_20230218_210235469.jpg

<edit> it even has an awful two outlet exhaust (stock is 4 pipes) like mine had when I bought it. I put titanium pipes on the old one but would need to do something different with this. :rofl:

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ironically enough, I looked at this today. Last time I looked for a commuter I bought a 14 year old Vette with 72k. Here is a 14 year old Vette with 62k. It has black interior vs the grey I had before, but the likeness is almost too much. If they will take $18k I might have to.

View attachment 189599

<edit> it even has an awful two outlet exhaust (stock is 4 pipes) like mine had when I bought it. I put titanium pipes on the old one but would need to do something different with this. :rofl:
LS3? If it's the early non-LS3 one I'd pass.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
LS3? If it's the early non-LS3 one I'd pass.
Yes, LS3 6 speed. I don't think it's Z51, but it's a 1LT base model just like my C5 was. I think the LS2 was only '05-6, maybe '07. The 09 is pretty dialed and this doesn't have HUD or magnetic ride to break.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Let's get rid of the headlight switch. Granted, my headlight switch has been in "auto" since I bought my truck, but I like having a switch in case. Putting it on the touchscreen just adds an additional point of epic failure.

But I also prefer a volume knob vs a slider or buttons because I'm old.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Let's get rid of the headlight switch. Granted, my headlight switch has been in "auto" since I bought my truck, but I like having a switch in case. Putting it on the touchscreen just adds an additional point of epic failure.

But I also prefer a volume knob vs a slider or buttons because I'm old.
Why do headlights even have an off mode?

The amount of cars driving around at night with no taillights on is inexcusable, for how simple of a problem it is to solve.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

The amount of cars driving around at night with no taillights on is inexcusable, for how simple of a problem it is to solve.
The only time my headlights are ever turned to Off is when it's in the shop and the techs turn it off so it doesn't shine in their eyes while up on the lift.

Otherwise Auto or manual On (for marginal light/fog conditions where I want my tails on even though it's not dark, per se).

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

That's kinda how I feel about it. I was happy that my truck has auto lights and just left it alone. The wife's car does auto high beams and it's awesome.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Because if the Russians attack you need to keep the lights off to not be spotted.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
A month or so ago it was snowing and thick fog by my house, ~30 yards visibility. Crossing the road to get to the trails was like frogger. A group of hikers almost got squished by a lady in a white land rover discovery which had zero lights turned on. They tried to explain that her white car in snow and thick fog was near invisible with no lights.

She drove off, still with no lights on...

Light controls on a touch screen shouldn't be allowed under some sort of road worthiness requirement.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A month or so ago it was snowing and thick fog by my house, ~30 yards visibility. Crossing the road to get to the trails was like frogger. A group of hikers almost got squished by a lady in a white land rover discovery which had zero lights turned on. They tried to explain that her white car in snow and thick fog was near invisible with no lights.

She drove off, still with no lights on...

Light controls on a touch screen shouldn't be allowed under some sort of road worthiness requirement.
That's crazy. I remember trying to tell someone at a red light that their tail lights weren't on (at dusk and in the rain). They looked at me like I was about to get out and carjack them or something. Even though I told them straight up after they rolled the window down.... crazies.

I also forget, do cars down there have daytime running lights?

I feel like the very bright daytime running lights up here are part of the problem. I'm sure a lot of these people just have no idea, especially now with modern dashboards and entertainment systems that are always lit. In the before times, if you have your lights off, most of the time, your radio and dash were also not lit.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The only time my headlights are ever turned to Off is when it's in the shop and the techs turn it off so it doesn't shine in their eyes while up on the lift.

Otherwise Auto or manual On (for marginal light/fog conditions where I want my tails on even though it's not dark, per se).
Oh yeah don't forget the drive in theater, if you still have those.

But yeah it's rare..