Quantcast

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Why do headlights even have an off mode?

The amount of cars driving around at night with no taillights on is inexcusable, for how simple of a problem it is to solve.

Have you seen how hard it is to change a modern car's headlight bulb? I don't want to burn out a bulb driving around during the daytime and then have to pull the crankhaft out through the passenger seat to replace it because some engineer is an idiot.

Daytime running lights should include the taillights though, and be LED, and if you can't replace them within an hour the entire design staff should be rendered down for lamp oil.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Have you seen how hard it is to change a modern car's headlight bulb? I don't want to burn out a bulb driving around during the daytime and then have to pull the crankhaft out through the passenger seat to replace it because some engineer is an idiot.

Daytime running lights should include the taillights though, and be LED, and if you can't replace them within an hour the entire design staff should be rendered down for lamp oil.
This is a fair point re changing headlight bulbs. My old 2nd gen Prius was particularly bad, and the current minivan is a positively knuckle-scraping exercise on one side in particular.

But make everything LEDs. Also make everything with clearance to change it without pulling a wheel/fender liner/bumper cover. And make them all auto. Do it all.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've seen the video, I still say you get hit in the face with stuff. :rofl:

View attachment 189637
I'd imagine you get some reduction due to friction force, air moves slower against an object in the boundary layer until it hits zero right on the surface, putting the occupants as low as possible helps here...but for sure this is a bad idea.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A month or so ago it was snowing and thick fog by my house, ~30 yards visibility. Crossing the road to get to the trails was like frogger. A group of hikers almost got squished by a lady in a white land rover discovery which had zero lights turned on. They tried to explain that her white car in snow and thick fog was near invisible with no lights.

She drove off, still with no lights on...

Light controls on a touch screen shouldn't be allowed under some sort of road worthiness requirement.
People do it around here because there are street-lights in some places, so they *think* their headlights are on, but same thing, you can't see their damn car in the shadows. There shouldn't be an option.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Yeah true about changing a bulb. Up here the daytime running lights are usually different than the actual headlamps. The LED accent lights are usually the DRLs, now.

Also make everything with clearance to change it without pulling a wheel/fender liner/bumper cover.

LOL good one!

Was is the GM Acadia or whatever that thing, that required the front wheel to come off, inner fender liner peeled back, just to change a bulb?

My old Mazda and the Toyota were a pain on the driver's side, as the battery on both was pretty much right where your hands needed to go. It was always a guessing game of "is it in? Is it yet? How about now?"

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
This is a fair point re changing headlight bulbs. My old 2nd gen Prius was particularly bad, and the current minivan is a positively knuckle-scraping exercise on one side in particular.
One my Taco you have to remove the entire front facia, then rotate the headlights just right to get them out, one false move and a razor sharp piece of the core support gouges the lens.

I've since figured out an easier way, it involves removing half the Evap system and the battery, better remember how to hook it back up though, because the truck won't run without it. Next time it needs a headlight I'm just going to trade it in to Carmax.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Was is the GM Acadia or whatever that thing, that required the front wheel to come off, inner fender liner peeled back, just to change a bulb?

My old Mazda and the Toyota were a pain on the driver's side, as the battery on both was pretty much right where your hands needed to go. It was always a guessing game of "is it in? Is it yet? How about now?"
Audi

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"why do we need idiot-proof features that make modern cars dangerous for the user and create far more failure points"

turns out the call is coming from inside the house!!!

jesus christ, you people are fucking incompetent :rofl:

Yes you should be able to turn off your damn headlights!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
obviously someone's never been chased by a gun wielding nutjob before.

or stayed in a first floor hotel on a cold night where contractors warm up their trucks in the morning at 5am pointed right at your face...........
Minor concern compared to the diesel fumes and noise. Should have been on the 2nd story. Plus any decent hotel has blackout shades these days (seen this over the last 5 yrs or so).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Minor concern compared to the diesel fumes and noise. Should have been on the 2nd story. Plus any decent hotel has blackout shades these days (seen this over the last 5 yrs or so).
akshuallly.jpg

1. not all trucks are diesel and we're talking about headlights
2. like I really get to choose room locations in the remote shit holes I stay in for work, often last minute
3. if you think those shades always work, I have some NFTs you might be interested in
4. everyone knows "how hotels work" :rofl:

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
akshuallly.jpg

1. not all trucks are diesel and we're talking about headlights
2. like I really get to choose room locations in the remote shit holes I stay in for work, often last minute
3. if you think those shades always work, I have some NFTs you might be interested in
4. everyone knows "how hotels work" :rofl:
some of the places i have stayed at in jackson hole do not have blackout shades....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Basically all of highway 88 is to be avoided, except for the part past Mormon Emigrant Trail.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
yeah........that's where I work bro

And hwy 4, and 108........that's where the reservoirs are. So yes, "close the blinds" or "stay in the penthouse" ain't really a thing.

SO TURN THOSE DAMN HEADLIGHTS OFF!
You can come in from the other side...and don't tell me they are closed in the winter, that's what snogos are for. The Donner party did it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You’re not really trying to avoid the fuzz unless you’re using the parking brake instead of the actual brakes so your brake lights don’t turn on.
full on interstate exit, right turn down, right turn into some bushes using nothing other than that sweet sweet manual transmission.......and a trunk full of three garbage bags stuffed with mushrooms

parking brake....pssh....newb
(jk, all my shit is automatic now, thanks for the tip)

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
full on interstate exit, right turn down, right turn into some bushes using nothing other than that sweet sweet manual transmission.......and a trunk full of three garbage bags stuffed with mushrooms

parking brake....pssh....newb
(jk, all my shit is automatic now, thanks for the tip)
did something similar in college when underage, driving probably not sober, with a keg in the backseat :rofl: