Quantcast

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Got a Corolla Cross while the Rav4 is in the shop. Pretty fun little car. Good in the snow and ice. Easy to park. Lots of room. Got stuck halfway up the camp road. Just backed it up and got a head of steam. Made it up the rest of the way no problem.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Got a Corolla Cross while the Rav4 is in the shop. Pretty fun little car. Good in the snow and ice. Easy to park. Lots of room. Got stuck halfway up the camp road. Just backed it up and got a head of steam. Made it up the rest of the way no problem.
How many SUVs do Toyota make now? The Yaris sea creature has to be the worst looking of the bunch.
I liked the oldish days when every car in the local church car park was a white Corolla or Camry and nobody knew what the fuck an SUV was.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
This is almost certainly going to be well over my budget, but one of the few cars that would entice me to replace my Golf R:

Edit, of course there's this as well:

Really just want the RS3 Sportback in the US.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is almost certainly going to be well over my budget, but one of the few cars that would entice me to replace my Golf R:

Edit, of course there's this as well:

Really just want the RS3 Sportback in the US.
It's kind of too little too late for me. Now RS4s, especially wagons, are going to be closer to 100K than 60K like 20 years ago, and the RS3 wagon is probably just not big enough to take a bike comfortably (I'm sure it'd do it uncomfortably though). It's still appealing...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
It's kind of too little too late for me. Now RS4s, especially wagons, are going to be closer to 100K than 60K like 20 years ago, and the RS3 wagon is probably just not big enough to take a bike comfortably (I'm sure it'd do it uncomfortably though). It's still appealing...
Both wheels off it should not be a problem.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Yeah, agreed. The M3 Touring would be >$100k in the US. Blows my mind that there's as much of a market for cars in that price range as there is.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
^^I've decided not to buy the new 4 door Ferrari. I'll spend the spare $400k on something else instead.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I think it's fair to report the average full size pickup sale price. I don't know what the most expensive version is that you could possibly buy, but it's definitely going to be less than a Chiron. Given that an F-150 starts in the low 30s I'd imagine that the average and median aren't that far apart.

My original message was basically just "first world problems" bitching that as a mid career, dual income, no kids, person who likes cars, the kind of stuff that would seemingly be targeted at me are like 2x what I could ever imagine spending on a car. Then again, there are 8 year car loans.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It takes a whole lot of corollas to bring the average down from a Chiron. Reporting average new car prices never made sense, not when there's an ever increasing market at the extreme top end of the scale.
Yeah - but when it's narrowed down like that, it becomes somewhat useful... I mean the range of full-size truck prices can't really be *that* great, can it? Maybe $35K on the low end for a bare-bones work truck and $100K for a fully loaded, bling'd out brodozer?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It takes a whole lot of corollas to bring the average down from a Chiron. Reporting average new car prices never made sense, not when there's an ever increasing market at the extreme top end of the scale.
Bugatti doesn't make a full sized truck nor is a corolla, that is a fairly narrow market content.

From Auto Dealer Today Magazine

"The best-selling vehicle in the U.S. is the Ford F-Series pickup truck, and consumers pay an average of $66,451"

When I bought my current car I thought I was being rather extravagant, turns out it was less than the national average.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Ferrari is a good example, the SUV is comming out because they require buyers of
Yeah - but when it's narrowed down like that, it becomes somewhat useful... I mean the range of full-size truck prices can't really be *that* great, can it? Maybe $35K on the low end for a bare-bones work truck and $100K for a fully loaded, bling'd out brodozer?
Damnit! missed that it was truck related.

$34k for a base F150 XL, but if we're talking specifically f150 then you go up to the Raptor R at $109k sticker, if that average is the actual transaction price, who TF knows where that upper limit was. Dealers around here were getting $10-20k on top of sticker for the higher end f150s, and $50-75k for Raptors. Superduties were the same story, but they have a base price around $45k, so none of them are doing much to bring down that average.

The Transit also nuked a huge portion of cheap work truck sales, you rarely see a new F150 XL around here with a lumber rack, but you see about a million vans, because vans are just better, unless you're towing/hauling.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The Transit also nuked a huge portion of cheap work truck sales, you rarely see a new F150 XL around here with a lumber rack, but you see about a million vans, because vans are just better, unless you're towing/hauling.
Coming from the UK where vans (normally Transit) were the go to for any contractors, I always wondered why the fascination with pickups over here when you can't lock stuff in them, or you have to buy a cap and then it's still a crap version of a van.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Coming from the UK where vans (normally Transit) were the go to for any contractors, I always wondered why the fascination with pickups over here when you can't lock stuff in them, or you have to buy a cap and then it's still a crap version of a van.
It starts at vaping.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Finally another electric wagon option, at lest for us Euros. Being a Nio, this ET5 variant won’t be cheap, but it’s nice to finally have a few choices by next year, when BMW, VW and Audi should also have wagons available.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Ferrari is a good example, the SUV is comming out because they require buyers of

$34k for a base F150 XL, but if we're talking specifically f150 then you go up to the Raptor R at $109k sticker, if that average is the actual transaction price, who TF knows where that upper limit was. Dealers around here were getting $10-20k on top of sticker for the higher end f150s, and $50-75k for Raptors. Superduties were the same story, but they have a base price around $45k, so none of them are doing much to bring down that average.

Ford better move quick if they want to stay on top for F150 sales. We currently have 96 new F150's rotting on the lot because the lease for the truck is actually based on realistic numbers for once. Gone are the days of leasing a $61,000 F150 for $450 a months.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ford better move quick if they want to stay on top for F150 sales. We currently have 96 new F150's rotting on the lot because the lease for the truck is actually based on realistic numbers for once. Gone are the days of leasing a $61,000 F150 for $450 a months.
for people that are buying, what's the range you're seeing on loan durations?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

The Ranger Raptor is supposedly close to launching too at a cool $80-$90K. FOR A GODDAMN FORD RANGER!!! :disgust1:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Can't speak to his local situation, but overall:

The average auto loan term is 69.7 months for new cars, 68.1 months for used cars.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
36 to 78 months. That is a tough one to pinpoint. Hyundai Finance has 0% for 48 months and all of a sudden mother fuckers that need to be $350 a month are cool with $900 a month @ 0%. Or they suddenly have $25k cash laying around to get to their desired $350 a month payment :confused:
Most buyers in this market are not going to crazy terms to impress the Jones' like some other areas. We really only see the 72+ month terms for people in need of reliable transportation with sub prime credit.

Yesterday a dude came in looking at a used F350 dually for 84 months at $900 a month, wanted the truck but had no need for it :bonk: we were $20k apart based on where he wanted to be for payment :lighten:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
thanks for the info guys. i know loan durations had been increasing over the past few years, but wasn't sure if it had stabilized or kept creeping longer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
68 months on *used* vehicles?

:panic:
To be fair, DCU at least does the same fixed rate for any term out to 65 months.

/me will go with DCU @ 65 mo unless Mercedes captive finance has magic low-rate fairy dust in them

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
thanks for the info guys. i know loan durations had been increasing over the past few years, but wasn't sure if it had stabilized or kept creeping longer.
Auto loan terms will not change all that much since vehicle longevity does not change. Cars do last longer these days but most people just do not take care of them.
12-15 years ago we saw a few of banks offering crazy terms of 84-96 months and then they went away. I am sure the banks lost their ass on a handful of those loans and said no thanks moving forward.
We use about 25 banks and I think 2 of them will go to 84 months and there are stipulations to get that term.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
If it's super low interest, why not do the long ass loan terms? Some of the used car loans I see are dumb, and rolling debt from one car to the next is dumb, but a new car at 0-1.5% for whatever period you plan to keep the thing makes some sense, to me anyway. Especially on trucks that retain value reasonably well.

Have a list of said inventory? Not quite ready for a new truck, but if I can weasel a deal on your rotting, unwanted inventory...

The Ranger Raptor is supposedly close to launching too at a cool $80-$90K. FOR A GODDAMN FORD RANGER!!! :disgust1:
Can't imagine that's an accurate number. Bronco Raptor tops out at $80, f150 Raptor starts at like $75k. If the Ranger starts higher than the real Raptor it would have to be something really special. I'd assume the Ranger Raptor will be $20-25k less than the f150.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a new car at 0-1.5% for whatever period you plan to keep the thing makes some sense, to me anyway
I agree with this philosophy. But I'm not sure such deals are common any more in this era of non-free money.