Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Why AWD? My buddies with a Bolt and a Leaf both fit their bikes in the back... In fact, buddy with the Bolt routinely fits two fatbikes in the back.
Ok, WTF?

Are these like fat-bikes for ants?

I had a giant Honda Pilot, with all the seats folded down (2 rows) I could fit one fat-bike without taking off the wheel.

Current hatchback, I can barely fit a fat-bike by putting the Px seat way forward, taking off the front-wheel and if I'm running bags on the bike, sometimes have to take off the bags. But a Bolt fits 2 fat-bikes? That's some next-level wizardry shit that would be impressive to see, especially without F-ing up the interior. Add studded tires to the mix (they tear the hell out of whatever they touch) and it seems like that's in no way realistic, especially for multiple uses. I wanted a golf, but that was just too small for one bike, let alone two. I guess it depends on how bad you are going to cram it in there and shit, but after some point it's possible, but not really practical.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Why AWD? My buddies with a Bolt and a Leaf both fit their bikes in the back... In fact, buddy with the Bolt routinely fits two fatbikes in the back.
AWD for a little more confidence in the snow. I have to drive to work (normally), no matter what the weather. I avoid any hills with stop lights in the winter right now, with this car. I also live next to a large lake, so we get a little worse weather than normal and our streets are the last to get plowed.

All I remember is that my WRX was amazing in the snow.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
All I remember is that my WRX was amazing in the snow.
Mine was shitty AF, because I had summer performance tires on it. That was before I knew about switching tires/wheels for summer/winter.

For traction on ice, nothing is better than studded tires. For traction on snow, snow tires work pretty well. For being able to get started on ice, nothing is better than AWD. In some cases around here, you'll never be able to start moving unless you have AWD or FWD with studded tires.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ok, WTF?

Are these like fat-bikes for ants?

I had a giant Honda Pilot, with all the seats folded down (2 rows) I could fit one fat-bike without taking off the wheel.

Current hatchback, I can barely fit a fat-bike by putting the Px seat way forward, taking off the front-wheel and if I'm running bags on the bike, sometimes have to take off the bags. But a Bolt fits 2 fat-bikes? That's some next-level wizardry shit that would be impressive to see, especially without F-ing up the interior. Add studded tires to the mix (they tear the hell out of whatever they touch) and it seems like that's in no way realistic, especially for multiple uses. I wanted a golf, but that was just too small for one bike, let alone two. I guess it depends on how bad you are going to cram it in there and shit, but after some point it's possible, but not really practical.
because the floors are so low, and because of the way the back seats fold down, there's a surprising amount of room in the Bolt. Of course, to fit two bikes, he has to take both wheels off each bike. It's a bit of a pain in the @ss, but actually doesn't take as much time as you'd think.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If there's a will, there's a way.

We once fit 3 adults, two over 6 feet, all of our DH gear, bbq, food and 3 DH bikes in a Mazda 3 hatch. Two bikes on a hitch mount rack.

Don't know how that third DH bike, mine a Transition TR 450, didn't get scratched or bend a derailluer in the process, but we did.

All for three days of sending it at Bromont. Air conditioning never worked the same after that.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If we fit people like you guys are fitting bikes in cars, we could probably fit about 17 adults in that Mazda 3.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Room for one whole bike! Sign me up. :disgust:
2 years ago Hyundai showed us the production prototype at their R&D center in Seoul. The entire vehicle is small, you can’t fit shit in the bed. Their target customer is 30 year city dweller male.
Either way the thing is already red hot. They are selling out already and we don’t even have VIN’s attached to pre production allocation units

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
You're gonna take it in the shorts on depreciation... maybe consider a CPO vehicle with a warranty. I presume it's the warranty you're most interested in with the new-car purchase?
Have you looked at used car prices?

Add current interest rates,

I hate cars.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

I hate cars.
The wife's old CRV was a 2 year old base model with extended warranty. The new whip is brand new, fully loaded, they gave us $9k for her old one and we got the new one for a little more than the old one, but with 0% so our payment is actually lower this time. Also the dealership does lifetime power train warranty, so there was that.

PXL_20210419_030833504.jpg

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

I hate cars.
Math on an Outback right now is REALLY good. It just didn't have the handling I was looking for. Also 0% interest last I checked.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Math on an Outback right now is REALLY good. It just didn't have the handling I was looking for. Also 0% interest last I checked.
handling on the outback is pretty horrible imo. Massive vehicle.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
handling on the outback is pretty horrible imo. Massive vehicle.
yeah. For it have been on the plate, we were looking at a 2021 XT. Issues: new car, new platform, no overlap with other platforms, and still under warranty. Which severely limits modifications to suspension to stiffen it up (larger sways, lower springs, etc). Also limits the power game, as nobody has done tunes (plus that warranty issue).

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ugh the cvt in nee subarus is hot garbage. My wife’s ascent never knows what it wants to do.
the last time I went to california I made the mistake of renting a jeep renegade with a cvt....I would rather drive a yugo....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the last time I went to california I made the mistake of renting a jeep renegade with a cvt....I would rather drive a yugo....
I don’t know what this dodge minivan I’m renting has, but any time you start going downhill faster than the cruise, it waits till you are way too fast with no hope of getting back to the speed before it downshifts. Totally useless feature. It won’t downshift unless you are in cruise, vs smart modern ones that down shift when you are braking and going downhill.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If it’s a Grand Caravan it’s a 6 speed conventional slush box iirc. No CVTs in FCA-Land.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I will say that while the minivan is good for a vacation with no bike rack, it is the worst vehicle ever to drive.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Minivans drive better than CUVs, which drive better than body on frame SUVs/trucks.