Quantcast

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Is it really a Porsche though?

Popped up while perusing Range Rovers and I’m in intrigued by its potential VWness. The Rover isprobably a smarter decision right?

Why must I be bored of my Taco?
I’m thinking the Porsche is a way smarter idea than a Range Rover. I’ve heard RR are plagued with problems.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I’m thinking the Porsche is a way smarter idea than a Range Rover. I’ve heard RR are plagued with problems.
:stupid:

My neighbors daughter bought a slightly used Range Rover "for a screaming deal". There is a reason depreciation of them is a cliff, he has spent a small fortune the last 2 years trying to keep the lights on until it's paid off..

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Oooh, an old porsche with a rare engine, this should be good.
I sold my old audi with a rare engine because it cost as much as a monthly payment on a real car just to keep it on the road. Bought an infiniti which effectively cost nothing to keep on the road for six years.
Bought that Alfa which was a similar story. Now I'm a Hyundai which has iffy build quality but boy is it reliable.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
speaking of bad decisions, I have a sudden urge to buy a dodge challenger or charger. Maybe I should start doing meth.
I drove a 2021 charger V6 last summer, nothing special but not horrible.

I want awd and a four door which means that or a camry.

If I went with a charger I would lift it slightly
and put All terrain T/A in 225/65R17 on it.

Maybe a pride flag on the roof.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I test drove both the V6 charger and the V8, the transmission seemed way better in the V8. It was also fast and loud and stupid and wildly entertaining and I banged my head on the rear door sill every time I got back there. I think I can get away without AWD if I have a limited slip and snow tires. Traction is so bad with my michelins right now and it snowed twice this year.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I test drove both the V6 charger and the V8, the transmission seemed way better in the V8. It was also fast and loud and stupid and wildly entertaining and I banged my head on the rear door sill every time I got back there. I think I can get away without AWD if I have a limited slip and snow tires. Traction is so bad with my michelins right now and it snowed twice this year.
y u make such bad decisions

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
All this talk of financing perpetually. What happened to buying what you can afford and owning it outright? That’s more my style.
The problem is that most cars aren't "affordable" now. And the used market is upside down.

I went through this last month when I was forced into buying a car, after mine shit the bed. Cheap used cars aren't really cheap anymore. And the cars priced around what you might have spent a few years ago, for a car that would go for another 150k - they're pretty much junk at elevated prices. We're talking 10-12k for cars that are nearing the end of their life... :panic:

For example, my last car was purchased for somewhere around $7000 with 90000km on it, from a Toyota dealership. I did what you said, paid for it and drove the crap out of it at basically no cost. That same car now, with +200000km is selling for more - I saw some north of $12000. Its nuts....what the heck :dead:

Tie that into the crazy rent prices being experienced by many, it's hard to have a large sum of money laying around for buying a (reliable) car.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Is it really a Porsche though?

Popped up while perusing Range Rovers and I’m in intrigued by its potential VWness. The Rover isprobably a smarter decision right?

Why must I be bored of my Taco?
If you value having a working vehicle and some money in your bank account, don't.
speaking of bad decisions, I have a sudden urge to buy a dodge challenger or charger. Maybe I should start doing meth.
How many vape pens do you own, and what's your favourite flavour of Monster Energy?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

If I went with a charger I would lift it slightly
and put All terrain T/A in 225/65R17 on it.

Maybe a pride flag on the roof.
Stinger.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Weirdly my Discovery was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, put 250k miles on it and the only thing that broke on it's own was the sunroof. Added benefit of Rovers is the enthusiasts all work on their own vehicles, so when you do need to service something there's knowledge out there, shit like my wife's Edge is damn near impossible to find even the right part numbers to order for certain things.

Emailed the guy on the Cayenne, wasn't very clear on whether he held the tittle or not, so passing on that one. My search for a dumb vehicle continues...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
So long as you've got another car to drive 75% of the time, it's a swell idea.

Had a friend buy the VW Toureg diesel version and proceed to rack up $30K in repair charges within 2 years. Both turbos needed to be replaced and the timing chain (amongst other things) which required the engine to be pulled multiple times. Car was in the shop a full 50% of the time he owned it. It was fast and pulled hard but unless you've got oodles of money to burn it ain't worth it.

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
Emailed the guy on the Cayenne, wasn't very clear on whether he held the tittle or not, so passing on that one. My search for a dumb vehicle continues...
You already waved off on that unit, but, I would not hesitate to own a 2nd gen Cayenne. Except the early hybrid, which is the one I had for a while. Their first stab at a hybrid system was not good, but the rest of the car was fantastic. The only common problem the second gen cayenne have is the transfer case clutch pack. This affects all models except the hybrid and diesel. I don't know much about the diesel engine they used but it is not super rare. It comes in touregs, Q7s and maybe some other models. I would recommend any person considering owning an aging VW to get a VAG-COM (for porsche you have to get a different unit) and be willing to do the work on them. I find them very easy to work on. However, In retrospect, the Cayenne specifically is kind of a weird car, its super nice, but i'm not a street only SUV kind of guy I guess.

I would never consider owning a Range Rover..

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
So long as you've got another car to drive 75% of the time, it's a swell idea.

Had a friend buy the VW Toureg diesel version and proceed to rack up $30K in repair charges within 2 years. Both turbos needed to be replaced and the timing chain (amongst other things) which required the engine to be pulled multiple times. Car was in the shop a full 50% of the time he owned it. It was fast and pulled hard but unless you've got oodles of money to burn it ain't worth it.
You already waved off on that unit, but, I would not hesitate to own a 2nd gen Cayenne. Except the early hybrid, which is the one I had for a while. Their first stab at a hybrid system was not good, but the rest of the car was fantastic. The only common problem the second gen cayenne have is the transfer case clutch pack. This affects all models except the hybrid and diesel. I don't know much about the diesel engine they used but it is not super rare. It comes in touregs, Q7s and maybe some other models. I would recommend any person considering owning an aging VW to get a VAG-COM (for porsche you have to get a different unit) and be willing to do the work on them. I find them very easy to work on. However, In retrospect, the Cayenne specifically is kind of a weird car, its super nice, but i'm not a street only SUV kind of guy I guess.

I would never consider owning a Range Rover..

Well shit, mixed signals here, may just have to take a gamble on a Cayenne and keep the Taco as my just in case mobile until Mach Es come down in price on the used market.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Well shit, mixed signals here, may just have to take a gamble on a Cayenne and keep the Taco as my just in case mobile until Mach Es come down in price on the used market.
That's the biggest pro and one of the bigger cons of the Taco. They are fairly reliable, ubiquitous, and wholly uninspiring, like the Toyota Camry of small pickups. They aren't particularly fast, fun, efficient, meaning you'll always be on the hunt for something that's even mildly titillating to drive.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That's the biggest pro and one of the bigger cons of the Taco. They are fairly reliable, ubiquitous, and wholly uninspiring, like the Toyota Camry of small pickups. They aren't particularly fast, fun, efficient, meaning you'll always be on the hunt for something that's even mildly titillating to drive.
you guys shop for cars like I used to shop for bike tires

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
holy shit is that true?
It's likely not far off. A buddy of mine in high school inherited a coupe version similar to that and he refused to drive it because of the mileage. He bought a Mazda B2200 senior year and drove that. I missed the boat, it was olive green even.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It's likely not far off. A buddy of mine in high school inherited a coupe version similar to that and he refused to drive it because of the mileage. He bought a Mazda B2200 senior year and drove that. I missed the boat, it was olive green even.
"The fuel-injected 302ci Windsor V8 produced a factory-rated 160 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque."

Oooo, 160 hp/270 lb-ft for 4 mpgs. :rofl:

I don't even understand how that's physically possible. That's like legitimately violating the rules of thermodynamics level bad.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
"The fuel-injected 302ci Windsor V8 produced a factory-rated 160 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque."

I don't even understand how that's physically possible. That's like legitimately violating the rules of thermodynamics level bad.
With the curb weight of a city block with equality efficient aerodynamics and amazing smog controls because environment.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

Nah. It must get more than that. My carbed 460 gets ~8 mpg…with about the same hp and a little more torque…

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Don’t you drive a CUMMINS!!!!!

on that note, do you leave your CUMMINS!!! (You have to scream Cummins for full effect), idle at every gas station you stop at? I’m assuming this is because Chryslers won’t restart?

View attachment 190943
I idle only long enough to meet Cummins recommended cool down times. Any longer is unnecessary.

Bought it cause it suited my needs, kept it cause it I have no compelling reason not to. I don't drive enough to make it cost prohibitive or impractical, and the 8' bed is awfully handy hauling materials. I'm not some diehard diesel aficionado whose personality is wrapped up in the fuel their truck burns.

Last edited: