Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Heh - that was the HS debauchery vehicle in our circle. Used to hotbox the SHIT out of that thing with shitty Mexican ditch-weed and eat frozen eggrolls from the gas station.

:panic:
different experience here, my dad ditched it before I was old enough for those shenanigans. it had over 200k on the odo tho. we used to camp in it up in Allegheny Nat'l Forest

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I idle only long enough to meet Cummins recommended cool down times. Any longer is unnecessary.

Bought it cause it suited my needs, kept it cause it I have no compelling reason not to. I don't drive enough to make it cost prohibitive or impractical, and the 8' bed is awfully handy hauling materials. I'm not some diehard diesel aficionado whose personality is wrapped up in the fuel their truck burns.

What's your mirror situation?
E7irC06WEAEHdXQ.jpg

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The Beast!
OMG the ugliness, but it's a fascinating vehicle.

An as I write this it has 11.5 hours to go on it's auction, which at the current price is a bargain just for the motor!
WWII aviation geeks would pay more than that just for the motor.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
man, I have never had issues with drivers in Montreal. for the most part, they are assertive, and expect you to do what is supposed to be done, but I haven't had any negative interactions there. Gatineau on the other hand... and many times on rural roads. not fun.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
400+ hp 6 speed with turbo sounds pretty fun.
Like my new car that costs half the price? Reliability for something 20 years old is not good IMO. It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but it's at the age where you should own a full lift, all the tools, etc.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Like my new car that costs half the price? Reliability for something 20 years old is not good IMO. It's not necessarily a deal breaker, but it's at the age where you should own a full lift, all the tools, etc.
My Vette was an '01 and had 201k on it when I sold it. I would think you could get an easy 100k without issues, but I'm not a Porsche guy. If the 20k miles has been evenly spaced, then it's been kept lubricated at least. :rofl:

I wouldn't own any Porsche without a lift. Between my 2 R35 Skyline friends, I see what the one with a lift (2 actually) can do vs the one without.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Cool car but I can not stand the way they look.
Me either. :rofl:

Jeff has over $200k into that monster and it's amazing, but the looks do nothing for me. He has a twin turbo GTO as well, talk about ugly. He also has an R32 that I do really like, but I can't shift left handed.

What's funny is he hasn't driven anything since he bought the Plaid. Apparently it is all that with legit wheels and tires on it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
996s were surprisingly reliable, except for the IMS bearing, which the Turbos don't have anyway. Friend of mine's dad has one with north of 200k, still his daily driver.

Then there's this sorta stuff https://marqued.com/editorial/7bDFV0fsgeYbGKG9THBwpA/how-a-porsche-996-turbo-survived-678-000-miles-of-adventure-and-adversity

I would however shy away from an ultra low miles car, unless it's something stupid like a Ferrari that gets a $30k annual service no matter what old low mileage cars always seem to be ticking time bombs of dry rot in every single seal.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The red WRX is getting the $80k billet motor, the blue WRX has a flat 6, the Acura he bought because why not (he had one in high school or something). He has room to store 6 cars, have 2 on the floor and 2 on the lifts with room to move around.

Screenshot_20230322-142715.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
only 4 bolts on the Integra == fail

what does he do that he has all this crazy expendable money?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
only 4 bolts on the Integra == fail

what does he do that he has all this crazy expendable money?
He's CTO of a major prescription drug supplier. His west hills home was about $10M, that's the running guess anyway.

He has an extensive classic computer stash going. He is also building his own supercomputer because he's a super nerd.

<edit> he's got 40 acres, but no mule.

Screenshot_20230322-151057.png

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What are good sites for getting appraisal prices?

Trying to sell a vehicle and I'd used kbb.com to set my initial sale price, but that potentially seems a little high compared to glancing at edmunds now a little later on.