Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What are good sites for getting appraisal prices?

Trying to sell a vehicle and I'd used kbb.com to set my initial sale price, but that potentially seems a little high compared to glancing at edmunds now a little later on.
Check bring a trailer completed listings?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think this "concern" for recycling EV batteries is vastly overhyped. There is a growing industry around repurposing and recycling batteries, that's only getting started: Next stop in Li-Cycle's EV battery recycling growth story: Europe (electricautonomy.ca)
If there's one thing I trust it's new industries propped up by investor cash specifically to justify the existence of another industry backed by equally new funding! Living near silicon valley has tought me these always succeed!

I can only hope this is as successful as the plastic recycling we have today!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If there's one thing I trust it's new industries propped up by investor cash specifically to justify the existence of another industry backed by equally new funding! Living near silicon valley has tought me these always succeed!

I can only hope this is as successful as the plastic recycling we have today!

WTF do we do with this plastic is not the same as WTF can we get more lithium. Metals are the easiest and most widely recycled materials in the world. You are recovering an element and not a degrading molecule.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
WTF do we do with this plastic is not the same as WTF can we get more lithium. Metals are the easiest and most widely recycled materials in the world. You are recovering an element and not a degrading molecule.
It has literally zero to do with the materials. And the plastic already exists in a recycling scenario so I'm not sure of your point. Extracting lithium from spent batteries isn't cheaper than mining, much like recycling plastic wasn't cheaper than manufacturing new plastic....which is why recycling doesn't really happen.

The entire plastic recycling industry was setup as a sham to provide guilt-free consumer acceptance of them, with the idea that it wasn't going to become waste. It was a lie to further the industry of cheap packaging of other shit. This will be no different because it will always be cheaper to fuck up another valley in nevada, or some other place "no one cares about." Because the idea that electric cars will save us is now dogma and there's way too much invested in making sure that becomes another guilt free consumer product.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It has literally zero to do with the materials. And the plastic already exists in a recycling scenario so I'm not sure of your point. Extracting lithium from spent batteries isn't cheaper than mining.

The entire plastic recycling industry was setup as a sham to provide guilt-free consumer acceptance of them, with the idea that it wasn't going to become waste. It was a lie to further the industry of cheap packaging of other shit. This will be no different because it will always be cheaper to fuck up another valley in nevada, or some other place "no one cares about." Because the idea that electric cars will save us is now dogma and there's way too much invested in making sure that becomes another guilt free consumer product.
Next thing you will hear about is some venture capitalist trying to recycle steel and lead from batteries. Much easier to dig it out of the ground.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Next thing you will hear about is some venture capitalist trying to recycle steel and lead from batteries. Much easier to dig it out of the ground.
I added this paragraph to my post when you quoted me but I'll put it here so you see it.

I get that metals are regularly reused, but I'm talking more about the inddustries that will tout the value, while still fucking it up somehow, or becoming a tiny fraction of where the things go, while everyone pretends there's a 100% re-use rate solely to cover up the dirty side of yet another mass consumer product.

I added some more stuff to my last post too.

Steel is not lithium in 2023 with every bright eyed investor looking for the new next best thing to support an industry that's already ripe with fuckery.

You seem to think I'm saying metals can't be reused and that is not what I'm saying. Not at all.

It's like I'm arguing the failings of a large corporate, publicly traded airplane company and you're explaining it away by describing the principles of flight and wing lift.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I added this paragraph to my post when you quoted me but I'll put it here so you see it.

I get that metals are regularly reused, but I'm talking more about the inddustries that will tout the value, while still fucking it up somehow, or becoming a tiny fraction of where the things go, while everyone pretends there's a 100% re-use rate solely to cover up the dirty side of yet another mass consumer product.
All mineral extraction is destructive. Really the only difference between lithium and say Iron, lead, cobalt, etc is that the demand is new and once the value stream catches up recycling will reduce the need for new extraction.

Are you a robot? Select all the pictures that are lithium mines

1679711831162.png

1679711907415.png

1679711852098.png

1679711941275.png

1679711988922.png

1679712022518.png
1679712052503.png

1679712090035.png

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
All mineral extraction is destructive. Really the only difference between lithium and say Iron, lead, cobalt, etc is that the demand is new and once the value stream catches up recycling will reduce the need for new extraction.

Are you a robot? Select all the pictures that are lithium mines

View attachment 191455

View attachment 191457

View attachment 191456

View attachment 191458

View attachment 191459

View attachment 191460View attachment 191461

View attachment 191462
"this new thing that's supposed to save the planet is exempt from scrutiny of the same old shitty practices because reasons"

I work around mines for a living, cleaning up mistakes of 100 years ago. I'm familiar with large pits and retention ponds, I promise.

Here's the other paragraph I added to my last post that I'll repeat here :rofl:

It's like I'm arguing the failings of a large corporate, publicly traded airplane company and you're explaining it away by describing the principles of flight and wing lift.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'll state this one last time.

I'm not arguing against the feasibility of recycling metals.

I'm pointing out that blowing up another industry to support an ideologically driven push towards supporting electric cars, will create another fantasy to cover up its failings. This will not be some hail mary clean industry that does shit to save anything. Because capitalism.

Stop pretending you don't understand this.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'll state this one last time.

I'm not arguing against the feasibility of recycling metals.

I'm pointing out that blowing up another industry to support an ideologically driven push towards supporting electric cars, will create another fantasy to cover up its failings. This will not be some hail mary clean industry that does shit to save anything. Because capitalism.

Stop pretending you don't understand this.
Yes, lets maintain the status quo with the petroleum industry, they have treated us so well. We owe them that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yes, lets maintain the status quo with the petroleum industry, they have treated us so well. We owe them that.
any other words you'd like to put in my mouth?

I mean it's not like I have year's worth of posts here trashing exactly that industry or anything. I distinctly remember completely ignoring the BP oil spill off the coast of my friend's houses for example. I definitely never had an ill word to say about that.

Nor have I posted anything about the insane sentencing practices of people arrested for protesting pipelines as recently as last year....

I mean certainly there can be nothing wrong with century old, embedded welfare queen oil companies who have completely fucked this entire planet. That really seems like the kind of embedded good ole boy monopoly structure a guy like me totally supports amirite?

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
any other words you'd like to put in my mouth?

I mean it's not like I have year's worth of posts here trashing exactly that industry or anything. I distinctly remember completely ignoring the BP oil spill off the coast of my friend's houses for example. I definitely never had an ill word to say about that.

Nor have I posted anything about the insane sentencing practices of people arrested for protesting pipelines as recently as last year....

I mean certainly there can be nothing wrong with century old, embedded welfare queen oil companies who have completely fucked this entire planet. That really seems like the kind of embedded good ole boy monopoly structure a guy like me totally supports amirite?
So you are good at pointed out that everything is bad, I agree. Any ideas on what is less worse that aligns with the reality of humans being shitty?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So you are good at pointed out that everything is bad, I agree. Any ideas on what is less worse that aligns with the reality of humans being shitty?
Let's start with "shit people voted for 8 fucking times" instead of sparkling up eyes at another reason to justify 60 bazillion cars on the road because it makes corporations money.

Thank god we have a hyperloop now and not actual sensible transportation. This is 10 damn years ago.

And is a great example of how throwing all one's eggs into the next greatest thing is a step backwards compared to the obvious staring everyone in the face. Cars are dangerous, inefficient, and are really only our current system because of oil company (my best friends) lobbying. We stay in the stone ages because of embedded money. Running them on a new kind of mining that will not be recycled efficiently doesn't change that. Making a new oil industry is not a solution to anything just because it's a "different" kind of mass extraction.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Let's start with "shit people voted for 8 fucking times" instead of sparkling up eyes at another reason to justify 60 bazillion cars on the road because it makes corporations money.

Thank god we have a hyperloop now and not actual sensible transportation. This is 10 damn years ago.

And is a great example of how throwing all one's eggs into the next greatest thing is a step backwards compared to the obvious staring everyone in the face. Cars are dangerous, inefficient, and are really only our current system because of oil company (my best friends) lobbying. We stay in the stone ages because of embedded money. Running them on a new kind of mining that will not be recycled efficiently doesn't change that. Making a new oil industry is not a solution to anything just because it's a "different" kind of mass extraction.
Living in a place where the public actually has an appetite for public transportation I have to say that we aren't smart enough to operate public transportation. Puget Sound light rail has had your typical budget overruns and delays but in a fine example of operational excellence it is believed that making people pay to ride the light rail is unfair so less than 50% of people actually pay, creating a few billions in additional budget overruns. It is also unfair to ask people to not smoke fentanyl on the train and they have become a post apocalyptic hell that people are more than happy to avoid. Hopefully these are just growing pains and this shit gets figured out. It will be many years until my commute is supported but the way things are now I wouldn't use it. The reality of public transportation is that if you don't make it a nice experience for those who don't need to use it, the public will never support it. The places I have been that have great public transportation systems also make it a pretty nice experience.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
As much as I absolutely love this headline all I can think about is "cop overdoses from touching fentanyl" and how if that was ever true, smoking it would fucking kill everyone in a 300ft radius. There's no proof of fentanyl smoking in that article. Just that someone inhaled something and then called an ambulance.

You've been to manhattan at some point in your life I assume? We can do this. Not to even mention europe's train system....

I'd say that people are absolutely smRt enough to run public transportation because it's been going on in america for over a hundred years. Making it a forethought (like NYC and chicago) and not an afterthought (like literally everywhere else) would be helpful but we do know how to do this, even if it is after the fact. Chasing magic brass rings in the sky ain't it, especially when it's just keeping cars the norm and hiding the ugly side.

I don't doubt the existing small train system in seattle sucks. But that's a product of listening to dumbass shit libs who want to make them "inclusive" instead of what they are.......transportation. Not public hang out spaces. I spent a lot of years dealing with this to some degree trying to figure out how to keep public skateparks skateparks and not just places for people without houses to get fucked up to kill the pain. Yours apparently moves which seems like a pretty sweet way to get high :rofl:

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As much as I absolutely love this headline all I can think about is "cop overdoses from touching fentanyl" and how if that was ever true, smoking it would fucking kill everyone in a 300ft radius. There's no proof of fentanyl smoking in that article. Just that someone inhaled something and then called an ambulance.

You've been to manhattan at some point in your life I assume? We can do this.

I'd say that people are absolutely smRt enough to run public transportation because it's been going on in america for over a hundred years. Making it a forethought (like NYC and chicago) and not an afterthought (like literally everywhere else) would be helpful but we do know how to do this. Chasing magic brass rings in the sky ain't it.

I have no first hand experience on the trains but the few times I have ridden a bus in the past year I can say yes there indeed are people smoking fentanyl on buses. And I don't care if the dangers are overblown I wouldn't get on a bus where people are smoking cigarettes let alone opioids. There are bus stops in certain areas around here that after dark there is a 50% chance of seeing someone passed out, smoking or with a needle stuck in their arm. Seattle's concept of "compassion" has been bull rushed by the addictive strength today's drugs. It is fairly well known how addiction can destroy families, but it can destroy cities and neighborhoods. Perhaps the problem is the same everywhere, but here it is in your face everywhere.

The nice thing is that you really don't see needles anymore.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have no first hand experience on the trains but the few times I have ridden a bus in the past year I can say yes there indeed are people smoking fentanyl on buses. And I don't care if the dangers are overblown I wouldn't get on a bus where people are smoking cigarettes let alone opioids. There are bus stops in certain areas around here that after dark there is a 50% chance of seeing someone passed out, smoking or with a needle stuck in their arm. Seattle's concept of "compassion" has been bull rushed by the addictive strength today's drugs. It is fairly well known how addiction can destroy families, but it can destroy cities and neighborhoods. Perhaps the problem is the same everywhere, but here it is in your face everywhere.

The nice thing is that you really don't see needles anymore.
One of the joys of living in shitlib land. The obvious of just saying "don't do that" is now an impossibility. Buses have always sucked, they're just big cars. But the fact that there's not a railway system under the channel to vashon and the penninsula, to kirkland down to tacoma is a god damn failure of society. That region is every bit as dense as any major metro area on the east coast. Same shit in the SF bay, even though they started with BART and because of their brilliance, just never built it out beyond the 90s. Same with MARTA in atlanta. They knew what what the area needed, and actually started it.......and then started whining about dumb shit that doesn't matter.

The only difference is, we used to plan in the olden days when much of the northeast was built. Now we just 'invest' for the next 12-24 months and leave it that.

Electric cars with semi-sorta-kinda recycled batteries are going to put just as much tire dust into the sound, and just as much gridlocked traffic everywhere. And kill just as many drivers and animals.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One of the joys of living in shitlib land. The obvious of just saying "don't do that" is now an impossibility. Buses have always sucked, they're just big cars. But the fact that there's not a railway system under the channel to vashon and the penninsula, to kirkland down to tacoma is a god damn failure of society. That region is every bit as dense as any major metro area on the east coast.

The only difference is, we used to plan in the olden days when much of the northeast was built. Now we just 'invest' for the next 12-24 months.

And electric cars with semi-sorta-kinda recycled batteries are going to put just as much tire dust into the sound, and just as much gridlocked traffic everywhere.

When I was going to school here in 2012 or so I largely commuted via bike but took the bus when the weather was particularly bad and generally speaking it was a reasonably nice experience. There was certainly a variety of characters but generally everyone was pretty respectful of each other, not so much now.

The trains will eventually run from Everett to Tacoma and to Bellevue. They will never run across the sound because people there prefer to be isolated, kind of like if they never built a road to Tahoe.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
When I was going to school here in 2012 or so I largely commuted via bike but took the bus when the weather was particularly bad and generally speaking it was a reasonably nice experience. There was certainly a variety of characters but generally everyone was pretty respectful of each other, not so much now.
That's how I remember SF when I'd go down there to skateboard and further my concussion ambitions. I rode those buses everywhere. We fuck things up. This is what america does. We put too many damn cars in the way for buses to work right. And it's why large scale lithium recycling ambitions will not justify some entirely new electric car industry. It will just isolate the rich people in their own mental safety bubble from the poors just like everything else.

Last edited:
That's how I remember SF when I'd go down there to skateboard and further my concussion ambitions. I rode those buses everywhere. We fuck things up. This is what america does. We put too many damn cars in the way for buses to work right. And it's why large scale lithium recycling ambitions will not justify some entirely new electric car industry. It will just isolate the rich people in their own mental safety bubble from the poors just like everything else.
It's not limited to the "United" States. Humans, in the larger scale, are not rational. We're bacteria in a petri dish, reproducing until we exhaust whatever it is that sustains us.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Same shit in the SF bay, even though they started with BART and because of their brilliance, just never built it out beyond the 90s.
They started building again after the 90s… pace is slow but moving.

I used to commute with BART back in the day and loved when the new airport link opened up. I still take it when I visit annually. A couple of months ago, I got on at the sf airport only to realize after a few minutes that I was on a car with about 3-4 people off their rocker/high/using and at least one dealer. It was clear that this car was their hang out spot for that segment of track. Whatever they were selling and using was definitely not weed. I was too far away to see clearly but kept an eye on them the whole ride to make sure things didn’t pop off. This is probably just one example of the decline of the place that to me is increasingly noticeable of late.