Quantcast

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Huge liability with that guys modified truck. Luckily he'll be sued to hell.
I'm reminded of my reaction to that Mercury Comet brake failure video that was going around. On some level it doesn't make a ton of sense to me that car companies spend millions of dollars to comply with all sorts of safety standards, but we still accept that people can just make whatever random modifications they want to their vehicles and go out and test them on public roads. Or fail to maintain them at all.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm reminded of my reaction to that Mercury Comet brake failure video that was going around. On some level it doesn't make a ton of sense to me that car companies spend millions of dollars to comply with all sorts of safety standards, but we still accept that people can just make whatever random modifications they want to their vehicles and go out and test them on public roads. Or fail to maintain them at all.
FreeDumb, my friend... it's because of FreeDumb.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The wheel spacer manufacturer has exposure for sure, but here in Ca it's damn near impossible to to go after anybody for causing an accident. Driver will skate, wheel spacer company will disappear and be renamed, back on the market by Tuesday.
Civil liability. Proving criminal may be harder, but civil would be a snap. Wheels/tires like that put more stress on the hub, etc. Those parts weren’t certified for the vehicle, etc. I think it’s illegal in CA too to have tires wider than your vehicle. In any case, a civil suit would likely be a sure thing.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hmm, doesn't the require having "good" intentions to begin with?
Wanting to pollute the atmosphere less is certainly a good intention. Taking advantage of that and engaging in more rampant resource extraction and cloaking ruthless capitalism in the good feelings is what burning those looks like.

And as you've seen, some people think the intention is enough to justify the rest of it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The nice thing about both my and my roommate owning minimum 2 Rovers each back in 05-10 was that the driveway was just one large oil stain. Never had to worry about steel dust from cutting and grinding rusting, and kept the Jahova's witnesses away

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The nice thing about both my and my roommate owning minimum 2 Rovers each back in 05-10 was that the driveway was just one large oil stain. Never had to worry about steel dust from cutting and grinding rusting, and kept the Jahova's witnesses away
I mean... you get rid of the engine and transmission and the oil leak issue should be somewhat reduced on a Rover.

But the whole scenario seems like COMPLETE insanity, TBH.

"completely rebuilt and modified 1995 Land Rover Range Rover County Classic asa fully electric full size Range Rover"

:panic:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I've said it before but my Discovery was the single most reliable thing I've ever owned. I have no idea how that works out, but I bought it from a shady used car lot in Compton, and drove it for over 250k miles and it never let me down. It did however turn into a nightmare for the guy who I sold it to.

Until I ripped the interior out and put a full cage in it was so damn comfortable, I'd buy another Rover in a heartbeat, just not a $290k RRC with a dubious EV conversion.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Haven't read through it yet, but YES

Also, mid way down the page is the picture of freeway in California. What is this turd doing with his truck?
1680199619859.png

And look how bright that Tesla's lights are, the one behind the work truck in the bottom left. Buddy is probably driving around with his high beams on. :dead:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Lane splitting - whoops, I mean lane sharing - is not illegal in California but there are some folks out there who are so miserable in their own lives that they feel the need to try to block people from getting through regardless. Those people are stupid enough to not realize that without lane sharing, motos would be creating even more traffic instead of reducing it. In any case, it's usually pretty easy to get around them. Not sure if that's what's happening there - could just be someone unaware of the moto coming up and making what looks like an illegal lane change - but either way it's more proof that you need to be pretty switched on to split.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Lane splitting - whoops, I mean lane sharing - is not illegal in California but there are some folks out there who are so miserable in their own lives that they feel the need to try to block people from getting through regardless. Those people are stupid enough to not realize that without lane sharing, motos would be creating even more traffic instead of reducing it. In any case, it's usually pretty easy to get around them. Not sure if that's what's happening there - could just be someone unaware of the moto coming up and making what looks like an illegal lane change - but either way it's more proof that you need to be pretty switched on to split.
Yep. I haven't owned a motorcycle since 2008, but if I still rode, I would be really careful about when/if I split the lane.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They have been trying forever to pass it here and it might actually finally pass. I did it sparingly in California but it is often a nice option.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I used to lane split all the time in Long Island when riding to/across NYC. It's part of the reason why I sold the bike, that I enjoyed that so much.