Quantcast

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I drive a fairly low sports car. My head is around door handle level of most SUVs.
LED/xenon SUV headlights are a pain in the ass, even low beams are eye-level to me. I hate them with passion

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@boogenman my friends 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe blew its motor last night, dealer is looking at replacing the long block under the recall.

What are the lead times for those engines on your side? They've ball parked 5-6 months for it here.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My theory about headlights and trucks is that they don't have adjustable angles. I'm not sure if it's still true today, but 20 years ago, but in Europe, even on basic cars, you could adjust the angle of your headlights from inside the car. This was in recognition that depending on how loaded the car was, you could adjust the beam angle to not blind oncoming traffic. This seems especially important for pick-up trucks. if they're loaded or have a hitch, the headlight angle will be all off... I haven't been inside a modern truck recently, but I don't think this is a feature of current vehicles. Is that correct? seems like something that could be mandated...

the other question I have is the increasing size of vehicles is often blamed for this trend. But at the same time, I'm rarely blinded my semis and transport trucks (at least not by their lights). They seem to have figured out how to see where they're going at night without blinding other road users. Why can't pickup truck manufacturers do the same?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My theory about headlights and trucks is that they don't have adjustable angles. I'm not sure if it's still true today, but 20 years ago, but in Europe, even on basic cars, you could adjust the angle of your headlights from inside the car. This was in recognition that depending on how loaded the car was, you could adjust the beam angle to not blind oncoming traffic. This seems especially important for pick-up trucks. if they're loaded or have a hitch, the headlight angle will be all off... I haven't been inside a modern truck recently, but I don't think this is a feature of current vehicles. Is that correct? seems like something that could be mandated...

the other question I have is the increasing size of vehicles is often blamed for this trend. But at the same time, I'm rarely blinded my semis and transport trucks (at least not by their lights). They seem to have figured out how to see where they're going at night without blinding other road users. Why can't pickup truck manufacturers do the same?
Semis usually have headlights a lot lower than pick up trucks because semis aren't trying to look like turgid gonads.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California

I believe most (all?) modern truck headlights are able to be adjusted, but virtually nobody seems to bother with it. After leveling or lifting a truck, the headlights should be adjusted.

I have read, although I'm not sure how true it is, that pickup manufacturers aim the lights low from the factory, so that they don't blind oncoming traffic when the truck bed is loaded.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
New one for me yesterday, picked wifey up from the airport, driving home on I-70 and a few exits before home there was a car up ahead that looked pretty smokey, but was still driving along, 50mph'ish, in the right hand lane heading towards an exit ramp.

As we overtake it, it was legit on fire, flames visible underneath the engine. Wife and I remarked that we hoped if didn't park close to any grassy areas.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
$110k.
For a Sequoia.
What am I missing? Or do I need a concussion to appreciate it??

Ugh. I just built one up on Toyota's website and it came to $80400, with a few options.

One owner at 39 miles. Did they even drive it home? Or the owner of Urban Motors purchased it and is flipping it? :disgust1:

NHTSA recall #23V100

Mercedes-Benz AG (“MBAG”), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, has determined that on certain Sprinter (907 platform) vehicles, the fuse layout of the interior blower motor might not meet the requirements for prolonged
operation at the highest blower setting.

FMVSS 1 : NR
FMVSS 2 : NR

Description of the Safety Risk:

Influenced by certain premises, such as ambient and assembly space temperatures as well as usage, this could lead to an increase of the transitional resistance between fuse and fuse holder and thus, to a limit-exceeding heat development in the area of the fuse holder. Consequently, a risk of fire during operation and a risk of injury cannot be ruled out.

Description of the Cause:
Due to a deviation in the development process, the fuse layout of the interior blower motor of vehicles from the given production dates might not meet the requirements.

Identification of Any Warning that can Occur:
When the issue occurs, the driver might notice unusual odors.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Did you tell them to keep driving through and back outside? :rofl:
The guy put the car in park, turned it off and popped the hood inside our service department. Once he opened the hood flames were everywhere. Our guys slammed the hood back down until we could get our hands on some fire extinguishers.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
@jimmydean

this thing has not moved in about 3 years

View attachment 192253
The fixed roof coupe was the base of base models. The idea was it was cheaper to make than the targa but it turned out to be minimal. They used the FRC chassis for the Z06 because it was lighter and stiffer. They thinned the windshield to shave weight on the Z, but they didn't make replacement windows, so if you crack a Z, you get a regular replacement.

My guess is that's a '98 or '99 with a dead ABS module. I would drive the wheels off it. You can tell it's not a Z because there are no rear brake ducts. Otherwise I would hunt that bitch down if it were a C5Z06.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The fixed roof coupe was the base of base models. The idea was it was cheaper to make than the targa but it turned out to be minimal. They used the FRC chassis for the Z06 because it was lighter and stiffer. They thinned the windshield to shave weight on the Z, but they didn't make replacement windows, so if you crack a Z, you get a regular replacement.

My guess is that's a '98 or '99 with a dead ABS module. I would drive the wheels off it. You can tell it's not a Z because there are no rear brake ducts. Otherwise I would hunt that bitch down if it were a C5Z06.
TIL. I'd only seen fixed roof Z06s from my autocross years, didn't know they came in regular trim as well.