Quantcast

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Yeah it is but that one has something going on.
The dual cab didn’t exist in 1992 unless you got a JDM fire truck.
It’s got a 2007 or newer body. (Square headlights)
The front and rear axles are 5 bolt (2001 or newer) instead of 6 bolt like on a 1992.
Maybe it is listed as a 1992 for the US’s 25 year import rule?
Cool 4x4s imported with falsified documents are a great way to get to know your local Federal Agents
https://jalopnik.com/time-is-running-out-for-the-mystery-owner-of-this-aband-1850276435

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Hmmm

They appear to have 30 different vehicles and I'm also suspicious of their Cali EV maker of the year claims. :p

But if they made that little pickup and didn't charge a fortune, they'd sell faster than they could make them.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hmmm

They appear to have 30 different vehicles and I'm also suspicious of their Cali EV maker of the year claims. :p

But if they made that little pickup and didn't charge a fortune, they'd sell faster than they could make them.
looks like a purveyor of vaporware

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Cool 4x4s imported with falsified documents are a great way to get to know your local Federal Agents
https://jalopnik.com/time-is-running-out-for-the-mystery-owner-of-this-aband-1850276435
I have no idea if they are falsified. Depends on what chassis is under there I guess. Those bodies are pretty easy to find, take offs for bullet proof militarized things.

I just noticed the 2001+ axles and a 2007+ body. If the chassis is a 1992 then it’s legal to put a new body and axles on there and call it a 1992, right? People put these bodies on 80 series chassis too.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I know the California process better than the Federal one, but new cab on an old chassis is legal, but you better have all your ducks in a row. They want to make sure you’re not just VIN swapping, so you need a squeaky clean tittles donor for both body and chassis.

I can’t imagine the hoops you’d have to jump through to make a Frankenstein import and not potentially get a knock on your door from the Fed Boys. Definitely can’t do the swap outside the states and then bring it in, and likely can’t bring in the donor body all at once, gotta bring it in in parts to avoid it being considered a whole car/truck.

Our laws are super weird, half the States don’t even enforce emissions, but god forbid you import a Defender with a TD5 swap with the intention of registering it in one of those States.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Our laws are super weird, half the States don’t even enforce emissions, but god forbid you import a Defender with a TD5 swap with the intention of registering it in one of those States.
They’re designed to protect corporate profits, not humans or the planet.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

The reservation says $46k-$56k. I would be very tempted to get one for sub $50k. It certainly has a lot to offer.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
They’re designed to protect corporate profits, not humans or the planet.
As written the current import laws protect nothing, they just suck.

Back when you could import younger-than-25 cars, maybe, but now, it's gotta be old enough that you're not taking bread out of the mouths of corporations. You can import a pre-smog vehicle, just not if it doesn't have the original engine, so this is a vehicle that has never been subject to emissions laws, and won't be subject to them here. If you want to drop a twin turbo LS1, or a meth injected Cummins that spews soot in it on US soil, perfectly legal, if you do it in Europe, straight to the crusher, and you may get free room and board courtesy of the Federal prison system.

One could argue that there should be no emission exempt vehicles, but that's neither here nor there when it comes to importation laws after they implemented the 25 year rule.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
As written the current import laws protect nothing, they just suck.

Back when you could import younger-than-25 cars, maybe, but now, it's gotta be old enough that you're not taking bread out of the mouths of corporations. You can import a pre-smog vehicle, just not if it doesn't have the original engine, so this is a vehicle that has never been subject to emissions laws, and won't be subject to them here. If you want to drop a twin turbo LS1, or a meth injected Cummins that spews soot in it on US soil, perfectly legal, if you do it in Europe, straight to the crusher, and you may get free room and board courtesy of the Federal prison system.

One could argue that there should be no emission exempt vehicles, but that's neither here nor there when it comes to importation laws after they implemented the 25 year rule.
Yeah you have to do any engine swaps after it is in the US.

There’s also a 15 year import law on engines.

Ian at https://www.snlandcruisers.com/ does some incredible Land Cruiser projects for people sourcing parts from all over the world. The 70 series Land Cruiser is still in production in other parts of the world so it’s possible to do a full rebuild. But it’s wildly expensive to do in the US.

https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/index.html

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
BYD, is going to put a large hole in muskrats sales with this one I recon.

BYD's Seagull
The car is available in two range versions from 305 to 405 kilometres (190 to 252 miles), with a fast charging system that will allow it to ramp up from 30% to 80% charge within 30 minutes.
It will sell from just 78,000 yuan ($11,300) - around half the price of the cheapest new energy vehicles available elsewhere.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

BYD's Seagull
The car is available in two range versions from 305 to 405 kilometres (190 to 252 miles), with a fast charging system that will allow it to ramp up from 30% to 80% charge within 30 minutes.
It will sell from just 78,000 yuan ($11,300) - around half the price of the cheapest new energy vehicles available elsewhere.
it's a microcar, though. won't meet FMVSS regs and so won't be relevant in the US.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Just saw two trucks packed with BYD Tangs and Hans. Between MG, Zeekr, Nio, Voyah, Ora, Smart, Lynk, Xpeng, Hongqi etc, the European market is getting absolutely flooded with Chinese EVs, most of which will never make it to the US.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just saw two trucks packed with BYD Tangs and Hans. Between MG, Zeekr, Nio, Voyah, Ora, Smart, Lynk, Xpeng, Hongqi etc, the European market is getting absolutely flooded with Chinese EVs, most of which will never make it to the US.
I think Top Gear gave their 2023 EV of the year award to the Jeep EV (Compass sized) that isn't even available in Murica.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
As far as electric compact cars go, the VW ID.2 is the first one in the entire range I genuinely like. Golf space on a Polo footprint for 25k actually sounds pretty decent.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:rofl:

The US isn't the whole or even the biggest part of the market. :clue:
Oh, I've seen the stats re micro EVs taking over the Chinese market. They already have fantastic traffic there. A few hundred million more (small) cars will make that even better.

Just not relevant to my life.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As far as electric compact cars go, the VW ID.2 is the first one in the entire range I genuinely like. Golf space on a Polo footprint for 25k actually sounds pretty decent.

Touchscreen controls need to be made illegal. Joystick controls too. If it cannot be done via tactile feedback it shouldn't be allowed while a car is moving. Texting while driving is illegal in most states but now a whole bunch of cars essentially require you to do the same thing to turn the heat on.

Otherwise neat car

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Touchscreen controls need to be made illegal. Joystick controls too. If it cannot be done via tactile feedback it shouldn't be allowed while a car is moving. Texting while driving is illegal in most states but now a whole bunch of cars essentially require you to do the same thing to turn the heat on.

Otherwise neat car
What we need is proper mice and keyboards.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

BYD's Seagull
Took a BYD ev taxi home from the airport in feb. Wasn’t new by any means based on the exterior, but it was an impressive ride that had a good feel inside. Made me wonder how long the us car makers will be able to compete globally.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Otherwise neat car
that screen would be the first thing replaced at the dealership after i punch the shit out of it for not working...